do you have a spare rescue boat?

Post your requirements here
chris

do you have a spare rescue boat?

Post by chris »

Shearwater club on the longleat estate in Wiltshire was attacked by arsonists two nights ago and both our rescue boats destroyed.
Does anyone have a smal,l preferably rigid plastic boat, that could be lent or a secondhand one for sale that we could use whilst the process of insurance claims takes place? about 8-10ft would be fine as we will have to take it out of the water each time as the boat house is out off use till the wreckage is cleared.
Thanks
davidh

Re: do you have a spare rescue boat?

Post by davidh »

Chris,

If the Race Box was destroyed then there is a chance to upgrade the Race Management facilities. Have Shearwater thought of going for an Auto-Hoot system?

If you need any help with getting this side of things scoped out then give me a shout!

D
David H
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Very sorry to here this.

Loads of cheap stuff on ebay. Maybe buy something to tide you over until the insurance pays out then sell it on - probably zero cost overall.

Did you lose the engines as well?
chris

Post by chris »

It appears they may have been after stealing the engines which were locked onto the boats so theytorched the place. Happened after midnight.
The boat house is below the start box and has a vaulted stone roof so no damage was done to the top part of the building, except for soot on the outside and burnt halyards on the main flag pole.
Both plastic boats and melted engines are lost; the heat was enough to melt the aluminium poles of the race flags so we are without race bouys too. otherwise there wasn't much else stored there.

We are looking for something to tide us over so we can keep racing etc. ebay is being monitored.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Chris, just heard. We can provide a boat with engine for sunday. Will try to contact someone.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I might be able to get one of those weird unsinkable orange boats.

It is the safety boat for the rowing club here.....but never used.

Someone would have to come and get it.

Ring if interested and I will find out what the situation is

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Sorry to hear the news.

WSC are just changing their 14' dory for a new one - the old one is serviceable but tired - and a loan or sale might be possible - do you want me to ask? Its GRP, and obviously much bigger than you are asking for so would kind of have to be kept on a mooring. I'll ask if you are interested.

You could consider making floating garages. We have at WSC and they are great - the boats and engines are out of reach of all. Made using windsurf boards, dexion and some shed roof panels. And unlike boats kept on moorings, they do not get covered in s***t (Seagull for Guano).

You still need a small rowing boat to get out there. Which at Shearwater might be as big as your rescue boats I suppose?
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
nprice

Post by nprice »

Sorry to hear of the vandalism! Ranelagh probably has a couple of race marks that could be borrowed for a few months if someone can collect from Putney.
Nick
Nick
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Chris
Seems to becoming more and more common that sailing clubs are hit by the vermin. Roadfords outboard for the Committee boat was stolen by cutting out the transom writing off the boat as a result. Hope this does not affect the running of your club for long. I wonder what excuse the the insurance company wil try to find to not pay up. Hope that does not occur.
Regards and best wishes to all at Shearwater .
Al
Last edited by alan williams on Mon May 10, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris

Post by chris »

Thanks to all, I think the club is following a lead on a boat to keep us going and people are bussily making flags, bouys etc up. We will be racing against Bristol Avon at home on Sunday all being well, although a few of us will be at Hunts anyway.
I expect they didn't cut the transom out because they didn't bringa chain saw. But I have heard of that. It's like the advice that you should not lock your fine antique desk because of the greater damage done than someone just stealing the contents. life goes on.