Iconic dinghies

General chat about boats
davidh

Iconic dinghies

Post by davidh »

Roger,

are you sure that you're not a journalist?????

That is the sort of nasty comment that a scribe would resort to!! Just because you see a belt, you don't HAVE to hit below it! And anyway, scrapper supercrew and I would have to find something else to break, if not there is a danger that we could actually finish a race. No... that is much too silly an idea.

Hijacking this thread to link to another - have just heard that I will continue my ' Top Ten Iconic dinghies' series with Y&Y. Not that I'm cheap (MUCH!!!!) but I'm open to bribery if anyone has any 'individual' boats that are worthy of mention. Nearly all my Top Ten are CVRDA legit!!

D
David H
Rupert

Re: Bough Beech

Post by Rupert »

davidh wrote:Roger,

That is the sort of nasty comment that a scribe would resort to!! Just because you see a belt, you don't HAVE to hit below it! And anyway, scrapper supercrew and I would have to find something else to break, if not there is a danger that we could actually finish a race. No... that is much too silly an idea.

Hijacking this thread to link to another - have just heard that I will continue my ' Top Ten Iconic dinghies' series with Y&Y. Not that I'm cheap (MUCH!!!!) but I'm open to bribery if anyone has any 'individual' boats that are worthy of mention. Nearly all my Top Ten are CVRDA legit!!

D
Flat Stanley.
Rupert
Mark

Post by Mark »

davidh wrote:Roger,

D
Cotopaxi
Mark
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
davidh

Post by davidh »

2 good replies there.

any more?

D
David H
Rupert

Re: Iconic dinghies

Post by Rupert »

Just turned this into a new topic - it was getting a little too far from the BB event!

How about the BM Ides of March?
Rupert
jon711

Post by jon711 »

I14 - Avenger
Thames Rater - Vagabond
Scorpion - Bottyburp The Barbarian

Jon
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

You would expect me to mention a few Merlin Rockets!

652 Clueless / 684 Crewcut the first Proctor IX's

1451 Surf Scoter/ 1523 Beat Nik very succesful from 1962 - 1969 (Their success probably held back Merlin Development?)

1903 Expectant the first of the Wide boats.

2340 Ghost Rider
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

AG, I did think I would leave Surf Scoter for you to mention!! In actual fact the only iconic M/R that immediatly came to mind was the boat that was Canterbury Tales, the first of, possibly, the most succesful design of recent times.. Although there was that lovely looking boat that Dick Batt had with the rounded transom (from memory 3400 Dangerbatt??)

Jon
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

how about these two?

Uffa's own Flying Fifteen, (ah - but how many had that name?) "My Dainty Duck"

Super...Docious of course!

and for me, 'Alice' Mirror 43069 but that's personal!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
roger

Post by roger »

Revolution?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Seems to me that, while very few dinghies have made it out to the wider world's conciousness (Avenger, maybe, at least at the time), many of the suggestions made (mine included) are of relevence, and are famous to, the class they belong to. Very few boats are well known even across the dinghy world. Having spent years sailing Fireflies at Tamesis, where there was a Merlin fleet steeped in history, I still don't know many of the boats AG suggested, or why they should be famous. The only one which became known was Shaft, because she looked so different, and was a heroic failure.
This is where your article might fall down, David - most dinghy sailors will just glaze over at the idea that some boat somewhere was famous because...(fill in reason), unless it did something truly spectacular. I guess Wanderer the Wayfarer, sailing to Iceland, did something that the public can be impressed by. Having a tweaked hull shape that was faster than your mate's boat isn't really the stuff of legend outside of a class.
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Rupert if you look ar Merlin Rocket class records you will see why those boats are iconic.
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Rupert wrote:Seems to me that, while very few dinghies have made it out to the wider world's conciousness (Avenger, maybe, at least at the time), many of the suggestions made (mine included) are of relevence, and are famous to, the class they belong to. Very few boats are well known even across the dinghy world. Having spent years sailing Fireflies at Tamesis, where there was a Merlin fleet steeped in history, I still don't know many of the boats AG suggested, or why they should be famous. The only one which became known was Shaft, because she looked so different, and was a heroic failure.
This is where your article might fall down, David - most dinghy sailors will just glaze over at the idea that some boat somewhere was famous because...(fill in reason), unless it did something truly spectacular. I guess Wanderer the Wayfarer, sailing to Iceland, did something that the public can be impressed by. Having a tweaked hull shape that was faster than your mate's boat isn't really the stuff of legend outside of a class.
RUPERT....

I THOUGHT YOU WHERE KNOWLEDGEBLE ABOUT CLASSIC DINGHIES.... You disapoint me!!

Jon
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Perhaps we need to define what 'iconic' means? If its to do with changing the face of dinghy sailing then Avenger, the first foiling moth, the prototype hobycat, ... that sort of boat. If its because of the exploits of the boat / crews then maybe Wanderer the Wayfarer, some of those merlins mentioned, Bottyburp The Barbarian and My Dainty Duck are Iconic.

David - can you tell us / remind us what you are looking for?
Last edited by jpa_wfsc on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
bert

Post by bert »

jon711 wrote:most dinghy sailors will just glaze over at the idea that some boat somewhere was famous because...(fill in reason), unless it did something truly spectacular. I guess Wanderer the Wayfarer, sailing to Iceland, did something that the public can be impressed by. Having a tweaked hull shape that was faster than your mate's boat isn't really the stuff of legend outside of a class.
RUPERT....

I THOUGHT YOU WHERE KNOWLEDGEBLE ABOUT CLASSIC DINGHIES.... You disapoint me!!

Jon[/quote]

Rupert has a good point.
Famous inside a class is not the same as famous for a generally accepted reason by the sailing or general population.Where as sailing a dinghy to Iceland is something you can be proud of as a nation.Thats the point that was being made.
None of the boats in the merlin roll of honour is known to me nor do I care but their nice lines & cared for woodwork is to be amired & pride should be taken in that.

If you are disappointed in that veiw jon,Well whatever! have a nice day.