Old International 14 Dinghy

an area to discuss dinghy developments
alisonkemp2004

Old International 14 Dinghy

Post by alisonkemp2004 »

Hi

I have an old International 14 Dinghy and I am trying to find it a new home. It is a Fairey Marine 1956 cold moulded model with diagonal ply (I think?), sail number 680.

We found it about 20 years ago in a poor state being used as a tender with an outboard attached! We did some restoration, sailed it a few times and then other commitments got in the way and it has sat in a garage since then.

I would be very grateful for any information about the dinghy and/or suggestions on value, how or where to sell it or if there are any real enthusiasts who might be interested.

Thanks very much
Ali
roger

Re: Old International 14 Dinghy

Post by roger »

Hi Alison,

Welcome to the cvrda. I should be on my way to work so will be brief. This sounds like a lovely boat. Firstly do you have any pictures?. These will give people a better idea of what you have.

Whilst some old dinghies have a small value a good many are cherished by their owners who spend far more on them than they are worth.

I am sure you wll find plenty of interest. Have you tried on the Classic 14 website?

Sorry to be so brief

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
solo

Post by solo »

Intl. 14 #680 is a Fairey boat, designed by Uffa. It was originally called Maelstrom, and built in 1957. R S Brewer, and C Wynne-Edwards were the original owners.

Nick C Intl.14 - 839
alisonkemp2004

Post by alisonkemp2004 »

Thank you for the replies, very interesting. Is there a website for classic 14s?
Here are some photos
thanks
Ali

lowres2.jpg
(10.2 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
lowres3.jpg
(9.66 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
lowres4.jpg
(9.45 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Interesting boat. Shame the hull is painted.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

This will give you somewhere to start.http://gbr.international14.org/index.ph ... 6&Itemid=9 without being contentious, I hope, I like painted hulls in dinghies especially moulded ones unless the veneer is laid fore and aft and very well matched. It is a pity though when the transom gets painted too. Clinker hulls look good too painted.
Simples.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I rather like painted hulls, too, though Kathryn has banned me from painting Saskia, however battlescarred she gets! I also agree that transoms should be varnished where possible, though Mirror Dinghies look fine with a painted transom.

This 14 does look good - I've done up a couple of Fairey 14's, and sailed in others - all earlier than this one, I think, which looks rather more powerful, somehow, though it may be the photo angles. They really are a joy to look at and to sail. Maybe I'll get one when Charlie is a hulking 15 year old wanting a boat to yank fittings off when crewing!
Rupert
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

But.....that's what Nitromoors is for. It's amazing what can be uncovered from old paint. Personally I'd take a punt and strip the paint off. Nothing to lose as the worst case scenario is that you may have to repaint.

If it had been a few years ago I'd be in there like a shot, but too many projects mean I don't have the time.

Lovely boat, I hope that someone with sympathetic tendencies takes her on.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Generally I like painted hulls, but like Ed, I'd want to see what lies beneath. Aggie has contrasting fore to aft strips. Lovely.

If the website yields np joy I have emails for the classic 14 racing fraternity. Where are you Ali?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alisonkemp2004

Post by alisonkemp2004 »

Hi, the dinghy is in Norfolk in my Grandmother's garage. The house is now on the market, hence the need to re-home the dinghy. Emails of people who might be interested would be great.
Thanks
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

There is an active(ish) group looking after the 'classic' and 'vintage' 14s. but they don't have a website.

They used to release a newsetter, although I havn't seen one for a couple of years.

they do have a mailing list though.

If you contact me off-forum I will try and put you in touch.

eib

ps I used to have Iolanthe K566 - another Fairey 14 Really beautiful, I miss her
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have meailed the mailing list drawing their attention to this thread. Hope it helps.

Nessa
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Rupert wrote:I rather like painted hulls, too, though Kathryn has banned me from painting Saskia, however battlescarred she gets! I also agree that transoms should be varnished where possible, though Mirror Dinghies look fine with a painted transom.

This 14 does look good - I've done up a couple of Fairey 14's, and sailed in others - all earlier than this one, I think, which looks rather more powerful, somehow, though it may be the photo angles. They really are a joy to look at and to sail. Maybe I'll get one when Charlie is a hulking 15 year old wanting a boat to yank fittings off when crewing!
Just looking at old 14s and came across this thread on Google...

Charlie is now a hulking 16 year old and we are thinking of a trapeze doublehander. Anyone know what vintage of 14 GRP became common? I remember a GRP Kirby design sailing at Tamesis in the early 80s, but everything else was wood.
Rupert
Chrisrjwood

Post by Chrisrjwood »

:D
Chrisrjwood
Jollyboat J325 Serendipity
Rouse I14 'Brown Trousers' K1094
Kirby 7 I14 Last Chance K1120
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity
Uffa Fox I14 Nymph K524 (under restoration)
JimC

Post by JimC »

Rupert wrote: Anyone know what vintage of 14 GRP became common? I remember a GRP Kirby design sailing at Tamesis in the early 80s, but everything else was wood.
To my mind with any high load high performance boat its probably safer to avoid monolithic GRP and start with foam sandwich. Monolithic GRP was not a great material for any boat with pretensions to high loads and light weight - wood was just so much better a material. And although there were foam sandwich boats as early as the mid 70s it wasn't really until the late 80s that epoxy foam sandwich started to be widely used. I have to say that I don't remember the 14s of the 80s as being particularly progressive in materials and construction, so I suspect possibly into the early 90s.