Contender 2

an area to discuss dinghy developments
SaturdayGirl

Contender 2

Post by SaturdayGirl »

I have built over 80 Contenders and my drawings show the designer as Bob Miller !

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The International Contender is a single-handed high performance sailing dinghy, designed by Bob Miller, latterly known as Ben Lexcen, (Australia) in 1967 as a possible successor to the Finn dinghy for Olympic competition."
SaturdayGirl

Re: Contender 2

Post by SaturdayGirl »

My point being when Bob Miller designed the Contender he had never dreamed up the name Ben Lexan

In 1967 he was known as Bob Miller and not that great . If you build a boat to the drawings it won`t measure . You need the IYRU templates ,but ISAF will charge you for drawings that don`t measure !

Farce comes to mind and slightly annoyed you closed the last thread .

But you are the experts !
JimC

Post by JimC »

Benny wanted to be known as Ben Lexcen. For anyone with any respect at all for the memory of that unique character it will end there.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

If Ben Lexen and Bob Miller are the same person (and I'm pretty sure we all know they are) why does it matter what he was called when he designed the Contender, except as a vague point of interest. Cassius Clay won a gold medal at the Olympics. Does that mean the Mohamed Ali didn't? People change their names for all sorts of reasons, but they are still the same person, even when John becomes Jane.

More interesting to me is where did you build over 80 Contenders? There can't be many who have, at least in Britain - at Rondar's, maybe?
Rupert
SaturdayGirl

Post by SaturdayGirl »

Lexan and Whitworth does not exactly roll off the tongue ...

Cassius Clay won the medal not Ali .

At best you could credit Miller on your Contender page , he was know as Miller at the time ... 1967 .

Who are R*ndar

Edit ,

What right do you guys have to change the history

None i expect ?
Last edited by SaturdayGirl on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Well I'm not making any changes to the old dinghy database so you'll just have to wait until after the new one goes live and I then get round to changes and then decide what to put and that will be when I've written the plugin code to run it and loaded the actual database and ..........

End of topic.
SaturdayGirl

Post by SaturdayGirl »

Thank you .