is this possible?

General chat about boats
Mungo

Re: is this possible?

Post by Mungo »

I'm 40 minutes east of woodstock, for a cop,... 25 minutes, with lights 20. Cops love me with my Charles Manson/Bozo the Clown look. Henshall clan,... I'll keep my eyes open.
Why does Canada have so many UK cops? (don't know if that is the case in this situation, but we do have a lot). Do they over breed? To be honest UK cops scared the crap out of me, they had steely presence. Here they have plastic guns, and donut in the other hand. It's kind of "stop or I'll shoot!", "go ahead shoot me", "I can't I'm Canadian". Stand off of bland white bread....

Ok not boat chat but....
JimC

Post by JimC »

Mungo wrote:the wood on the floor was removed from the inside and replaced with fiberglass (!!??). It was described as original wood from the base of the tanks up...
Oh dear, that does sound rather terminal to me... I think it would have to be the only wood 505 left in the world to be worth taking on in that state. I would have thought that was many years of work, and you'd end up with Grandfather's axe.
Mungo

Post by Mungo »

I don't think it is even worth going to see (2 1/2 hr drive). Not sure what holds the boat together anymore but I suspect those step stool things are supporting the centreboard case, not sure anything is supporting the keel. If the fibreglass wasn't there and it was a lot cheaper I'ld take it on as a challenge as I am in no hurry to fix a boat I likely would never sail. I am leary of the fibreglass and not sure if the floor was rebuilt what it would attach to. Sad....
JimC

Post by JimC »

Mungo wrote:... not sure if the floor was rebuilt what it would attach to...
You'd have to build a jig and then build her up in overlapping new veneers. A very substantial percentage of the effort of building new...
davidh

Post by davidh »

Mungo

I know that it is a pain in the butt, that said, it could just be the best 2 1/2 hours (okay, 2 1/2 hours each way) you spend. Until you look at these things and give them the 'eyeball Mk 1' you just do not know. It can go either way... I travelled much further than that to see a Merlin that was supposedly in very good condition only to get out of the car, look for 30 seconds, then get straight back in and return home! This is a good example as earlier I'd missed out on a boat that was supposedly only good for the bonfire - only to find out afterwards that all it needed was a lick of varnish and it would have been ready to sail. There is only one way to be sure... go and see for yourself

(I suppose this could be construed as a cunning plan to get some more pictures.....cunning, Moi?)

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Anyway, In Mungo's neck of the woods That just a hop and a skip I thought! :lol:

When I spent time in Manitoba you would drive at least that far for a supermarket that stocked English beer...
Michael Brigg
Mungo

Post by Mungo »

Well,.... glad you all want me to take on a challenge. I even went back and looked at Nessa's marauder thinking if he can fix that I should try. His marauder looks like a complete boat compared to what I would take on! I may still look at it, if the trailer is good and I can break even by selling the trailer then there is no loss. I have been plotting repair strategies, regretfully all are very expensive and potentially low yield. I like the thought of the challenge to try and repair it. To my advantage it doesn't matter to me how long it takes, to my disadvantage I'm married to a rational woman.

2 1/2 hours is not that far in Canada, however this 2 1/2 hrs is not dodging the odd moose in Manitoba to get decent beer (we really do make bad beer). It is on 16 lane 3rd world quality highways through a city of almost 6 million high strung blackberry addicted corporate types. I'm still recovering from bringing the jollyboat through that.... Both ways in a day??? For a boat? Then again it is pretty...

I still have serious reservations that the floor can be replaced at all. It would likely mean removing the tanks to insert some sort of brace to support joining veneers, and without any plans as to how they are built?? I have the off sets for the 505 hull so I could build a framework to veneer around but it appears the tanks are different on many of the 505's. Since they have fairly sharp inner radius they may be structurally similar to the jolly boat tanks.... I have visions of starting with a saw to remove fibergalss, then removing a screw and eventually ending up with a pile of sticks. I sometimes despair looking at the jollyboat, I'm still deconstructing, it is cold enough already that epoxy doesn't run.... next year.

I keep hoping it will be sold and I can move on guilt free...
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

It's always tempting.....

but my advice would be, keep your head down and finish the Jollyboat and spend some time on the water.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

Mungo....

Ignore Ed (not really - his advice is sound BUT...boats like this don't come up every day)

so what you do is you take the 401 and head off to where ever.... there is an ex Fairey man who is in Kitchener most weekends....

D
David H
Mungo

Post by Mungo »

Ed and my wife on one shoulder, David and Michael on the other. Marlowe would enjoy this.

I really don't want to drive there, the 401 is a William Golding world at 140 kph.

If the boat doesn't sell and the situation is revenue neutral then I would hang the boat in my garage (although it may block the light filtering through the curtains...).
davidh

Post by davidh »

Mungo,

YOu'll find yourself in good company on this website if you can bring in Marlowe and william golding into a thread on 505s.

So - to keep you company, just remember what Oscar Wilde said of temptation. The only good bit is yielding to it!

You know it makes sense

D
David H
Peter H

Post by Peter H »

I don't look at the forum often enough.

I owned 5o5 Yandy K16, a Fairey Hull built for Ralph Wadhan, the owner of Yachts and Yachting (YandY) when she was a competitive 5oh

The Fairey boats had curved side tanks, moulded wood like the hulls. However, there were other boats just a little bit later, with a deck as shown in the picture.....

So not a Full on Fairey, but may be a Tormetor.

I think that the Weston Syndicate, including Larry Marks and Keith Paul, built from scratch, cold moulding about 6 boats
And just to show how times have changed Larry used to tow his boat in a Morris Minor pickup, accompanied by his wife in the cab, and long suffering crew in the back on a mattress!!
beau

Post by beau »

New to this. I stumbled across this the other day and not sure what if anything has happened, but thought I'd let you know that my uncle, Sid Dakin, was the first owner of this 505. I remember it well sitting new on its cradle by the lake in Montreal - to a then 5 year old it was an impressive and beautiful thing and I recall, as you do with memories like this, a pleasant smell about it.

I spoke with Sid about it the other day and he told me that Eaton's (the department store folks) had imported two 505's to make up for an earlier class they had brought in and which Sid had campaigned to solid DFL's the year before. Anyway he paid $700 for it and raced it successfully. There was a lot of class "seeding" going on in those days. As an early trapeze boat in this market, Sid was amused by the antics of his crews as they went down the learning curve hurling around the forestay and so on.

It's delightful to learn the boat is still it there and being enjoyed.