New to CVRDA

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Demon

New to CVRDA

Post by Demon »

Hi all,

Been pointed in this direction by Rodger after i joined the Hornet forum.

Thought a little intro wouldnt go amiss, So im Mark been sailing less than 3 years so far. My first dinghy was a Laser, but i added a wayfarer when a family member showed an interest in sailing. My latest addition (i have been informed) is a 1959 Hornet which has been dry stored for the last 30 years!

Its in need of some TLC, but its all original as far as i can tell.

Hope you dont mind me adding a few pics of my fleet!

Cheers for now,

Mark

Michael Brigg

Re: New to CVRDA

Post by Michael Brigg »

Hi Demon and welcome to the forum.

Your Hornet I have to say is sooo beautiful. Those curves!! :roll: 8) :!: . I would get ready for some heavy breathing if I was you, but expect some banter about the L***r! :evil:

I have said before that we all love our various boats on this forum and boast of thier qualities in the manner of talking about our children.

...but there is usually one within the collection where the relationship can only be described as Carnal. I would say you have one of those here.

...I am not going to speculate on the relationship with the L***r, this is a moderated forum! :lol: :wink:

I am not a prolific attender at the meetings but hope to be better next year if my own Planker (an IC) is ready. with luck there will be a developing fleet of plankers to challenge the Finns supremacy
Michael Brigg
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Welcome Demon - nice to see the Hornet.

and Michael..... plankers become Finn sailors eventually, even Ed had come over to the pie side.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
davidh

Post by davidh »

Demon.... you are safe on here with a classic Hornet as there are a few of us (including the Commodore) who have many a sea mile in these wonderful boats. Well done for choosing such a corker of a classic (or, as I suspect, it is more the case that Classic boats choose their owners).

I was a planker with the Unit (now in new hands so there will be yet another planker out and about next year), you'll be in good company.

I looked longingly at the pictures of your boat and as the good Mr Briggs expected, had the heavy breathing and sweaty palms - then I looked again and saw the ends of the traveller perfectly positioned to turn the legs of the crew into a patchwork quilt (worry not - you can always get another crew). I recently went back to a traveller on the Merlin and am still trying to agree compensation from Supercrew Jon for the repais to his wetsuit and backside.

Where do you sail.....will we see you at any of the events next season.

If you are stuck and need any thoughts or guidance this is the place to be asking, on the Hornet or any of the other classes (yes, even the Laser....... I'm sure that someone will help there too).

Good luck with the boat

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

Good to see pics ofthe boat Mark. It is very similar to my brothers one I raced in the 70s on the solent. The rules for thehornet are very strict on the hull shape but the internal layout is open to any interpretation.
What are the sails like. I have a hardly used Ratsey & Lapthorn genoa(made in the 70s) which will probably fit the sail plan for your boat.
Look forward tohearing and seeing how you get on with her.
Incidentally there is an article in Yachts and Yachting this month(dec issue) written by David H about "Revolution" the boat that used the tolerances in the plans to gain advantage. This has since happened in many fleets such as the fireball.

Roger

ps david it looks like she was transom sheeted at one time so the track must be a later addition.

pps Looks like the wayfarer qualifies as well .
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sad that such curves have gone out of fashion in the dinghy world, if not elsewhere! I had a great time crewing Roger in his old Hornet a few years ago, you should enjoy it.

I was soundly beaten in my Lightning today by a very well sailed Laser, but I won't hold that against you and the other 200,000 owners...well, not for long, anyway...
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Good to see another Hornet still in planking mode.

a few years ago, we reckoned there weren't any left at all....and now we have at least 2!

welcome to the fold.

talk later

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Demon

Post by Demon »

Well, i didnt expect such a reaction over an old wooden dinghy!

I only bought it as i liked the look of it and i thought it very cheap (anyone put a price on a dinghy like this?) Plus i like the name "Demon" Thought it suited me very well!
Rupert wrote: I was soundly beaten in my Lightning today by a very well sailed Laser
Couple of chaps sail Lightning's at our club, in light winds the Laser fleet struggles to beat them!

roger wrote: pps Looks like the wayfarer qualifies as well .
Well if my 1986 Wayfarer qualifies, how about my 1979 Laser?
davidh wrote: Where do you sail.....will we see you at any of the events next season.
I am a member of Hertford County Yacht Club (No yatchts these days) and sail at Abbotts lake, Stanstead Abbotts in Hetfordshire. Only a very small place but a very friendly club.

I will certainly look into attending a few events next year, even if i dont sail and just come to introduce myself and see what goes on to start with.

And as you like it so much, a couple more pics!

Cheers

Mark

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Qualification is designed before 1965, built before 1985, basically, so I'm sad to say the Wayfarer misses out currently (in a couple of years, we may move the goalposts further apart) and Lasers in general miss out, as the original aim of the cvrda was to get the old boats that were no longer competitive in class racing out and playing together.

I can normally reckon on giving the Lasers a good run for their money on the water in the Lightning, but that particular boat has the problem that it has far too fast a sailor on board!
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

errrr wasn't the Wayfarer designed in 1957?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Must be OK - we had a Wayfarer at the Nationals at Clywedog this year.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

wayfarers in wanderers out

that's my memory

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
roger

Post by roger »

I think the built in 1986 puts it a year to young at present.

Planker Hornets..

I know of a small fleet now.

140 my old one out on loan,

191 Shoestring,

575 Demon (new discovery)

Two in the south east.

941 Miss J the one in the Isle of Wight boat museum.

It would be great to get them all together for a meeting.

I raced against one of the south coast ones a few years ago at Netley. David may remember, We had a grat race at the back of the fleet. Totally outclassed by the modern boats but we had a scream. Someone took some pics of us going upwind together. They then put it in B&W and it could easily have been 40 years ago.

Must try and organise a meeting. May be Bough Beech or similar. Close enough to tempt the south east boats out.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Demon

Post by Demon »

Excuse my ignorance Rodger, but where is "Bough Beech"?

Once i have a try out in Demon and i can find someone daft enough to crew then i would be up for meet somewhere!

I enjoy fleet racing with the Laser's, so i recon i would enjoy this too!
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Mark
AS David H said there are alot of exHorneteers in the CVRDA. My first Hornet was lent to me and was number 626. After that there were loads ending with my last boat 2153. I have never seen a hornet with a stern deck as deeply curved as yours or a transom horse of that shape. They do look good a ofset the hardchine hull well. Do you know the builder of the boat or was it amatuer built?
Crews should beable to use the sliding seat in about 15minutes so a casual crew can be used. The other thing about the seat is that light weight crews can use it to advantage.
Cheers Al now a Finnster but an exhorneteer.