Newbie signing on

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
kfz

Newbie signing on

Post by kfz »

Hi All,

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a virgin boat restorer just started my first project. Its a joint ownership (though I am taking on the bulk of the work) GP14, hull number 47 no less. She is a Bell Woodworking boat built in 1951 and is in remarkably good condition. I have a bit of history. When I found her she was still working hard as an abused youth training boat, not bad for a 60 year old boat. Hopefully she can now enjoy her retirement from duties in style with a full nut and boat rebuild.

I am reasonably competent with tools and have reasonably equipped workshop and access to a small woodwork shop, I'm learning.

I was recommended joining here my some members of Y&Y forum.

Thanks for having me.

Regrds

Kev
davidh

Re: Newbie signing on

Post by davidh »

HI Kev,

welcome indeed....were are you based? If you can take some pictures of your boat and the ongoing work that would be great, there is a huge amount of interest in how people address the many and varied tasks that we all seem to be undertaking!!

Have you seen the current issue of Y&Y - there is a full spread in there documenting the history of the GP14, if you want a copy you'll have to move smartish as any day now the next issue will be hitting the news stands. It's a great story though that the class has to tell and a boat of your vintage will have seen so much history..... do you have any idea of the life cycle of number 47?

regards

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Kev,

Welcome to the cvrda!

Good luck with the restoration, and when she is done, it would be great to see her out sailing again. Where are you based?
Rupert
kfz

Post by kfz »

Thanks Guys,

I'm based at Liverpool Sailing Club. http://www.liverpoolsailingclub.org/. Though the web page doesnt do justice to our fantastic cruising waters and club house.

The club has recently been reactivated and starting from scratch last year. Ive inherited the GP fleet captaincy despite my inexperience. The GP14 vintage scene is just getting going, we had a meet last year to which I took my modern boat (1962). Read about it here.

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/?article=153111

Ita been a good year for the GP's. Seem to be going well at the moment.

Ive got a lot of work to do on 47 - Caltha, so It wont be this year, but Id love to come out and have sail.

I have blog page at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevin.foot ... 20main.htm

But I will post up a few pics and problems.

Kev
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

That event looks like it was fun.

If the Vintage GP's would like to piggyback onto any cvrda events, to take advantage of the race crew and rescue already laid on, they would be made very welcome, I would think, either in the handicap event or, with prior arrangement, as a separate start/doing their own thing.
Rupert
kfz

Post by kfz »

Rupert,

Thanks very much. Be in touch.

Kev
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Hunts in September will be good for olde GPs - we have a fair few here, as well as two club boats that easily qualify!

And Kev, I haven't forgotten about the floorboards, just haven't been to the club recently because it's frozen!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
kfz

Post by kfz »

Thanks N.

As said I have set of boards but there passable but been fixed with softwood. If you have a decent set it will save me a bit of work.

Not sure what material they should be made from?? Anyone know?

Kev
roger

Post by roger »

Hi Kevin.

Mine are marine ply and so were the ones from the knackered one I broke up.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
kfz

Post by kfz »

Not looked at them too closely but sure there not ply. No proof their orginal either. I will ask at the association.

Kev
kfz

Post by kfz »

Anyhow heres the boats.

My modern GP , 4250 1961, pretty original, fairleads, brass fittings etc, but with alloy spars and synthetic sails the only conseriosn to modern fittings. In a slightly recognisable location, a hot day and wind astern, does it get any better?

And the project. Caltha 47 1951. Shes been slightly modernsied, but I have procured most of the fittings I need. This picture taken when I (we) got her.

Kev
johnconradlee

Post by johnconradlee »

The floor boards in 2289 are (sacrificial) softwood. Would guess pine. They are in complete lengths not in two bits as shown in the picture of 47. The inside boards have brass turn buttons so you can take them out.
John Lee
GP2289
Minisail 2666

"A boat is a large hole in the water into which you pour money"
davidh

Post by davidh »

Kev, some great pics.... and I love the cockpit shot showing the brass printles for rowing the boat!
The shot of you on the Mersey was great too - can imagine that like the Solent, life can be hairy up there at times with all the commercial traffic. The only time I sailed there was from New Brighton - the only time I've seen the windward mark laid by a tractor! (by the time we'd sailed to it the tide was in!!)

D
David H
kfz

Post by kfz »

davidh wrote:Kev, some great pics.... and I love the cockpit shot showing the brass printles for rowing the boat!
The shot of you on the Mersey was great too - can imagine that like the Solent, life can be hairy up there at times with all the commercial traffic. The only time I sailed there was from New Brighton - the only time I've seen the windward mark laid by a tractor! (by the time we'd sailed to it the tide was in!!)

D
Yea
I'm still looking for a nice set of brass rowlocks for them. Standard feature of the GP till well into the sixties. 4250 has rowlocks (galzanised) and an outboard hatch. The boat was designed to take sail, Oar or power.

We have a decent tide and wicked 'wind against tide' specially in the fairways.

Kev
kfz

Post by kfz »

Still going, arrghhh! I am seriously doubting the decision to keep going with this board, it would have been much much easier to make a new one. At last count of the number of fillets put into this I lost counts at over 40 (I lose count of the plugs) . I have worked on this nearly every night for four months. Its a living nightmare from which there is no waking!!

Both inner pieces where shot to bits, I managed to save the forward one, but it had to be glued twice as it fell into thirds! I aft one was a write off and I made a new one. Now glued together with thickened epoxy. Still not happy with it as its out along the bottom by approx 1.5mm. I will need to make a strip to make up the difference and glue it in place.

Spars coming on. After a bit of plugging and some fillets to make up for the damage. Not to mention stripping back to wood. I have forsaken the wretched epoxy because apart from I hate it and I coming to the conclusion its not suitable for outdoor use, Its either too cold or too damp. The boom is readily refurbished, spends much of its time dry so its just getting the varnish, that's all. One coat of Schooner later......