Early Int. Moth info.

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Nigel

Re: Early Int. Moth info.

Post by Nigel »

There used to be a paper on the IM site detailing suggested PYs for IMs of different eras. If it is not ther, I may have a copy somewhere
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Found it. It suggests 1111 for a Magnum 3, 1100 for Magnum 5 & 6 and 1060 for a Magnum 8
davidh

Post by davidh »

That's the one Nigel! 1100 on a magnum 6 is well...... Banditry with a capital B! This was a boat that in a straight line could outpace a Merlin, in the right conditions a Fireball. That is not 'hype' - seen it done! At one breezy big high profile event a Magnum paced us in the 505 until it self destructed (and we went on to win so it was not a case of us not being up to the task).

As has been said - the PY system was in those days applied to the class as a whole and did not keep up with the rapid changes in the designs......

So Nessa, you'll be pot hunting then?????? And thinking of heading off to Pro-vela with Pete Barton

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

so how old is the boat? Is it cvrda eligible?

thanks for the info Nigel. I might need written evidence to convince the race committee at Hunts - assuming I can ever get the thing going!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Just cvrda able. A Magnum 6 won the Nats and worlds in 1984, so they were probebly built mainly over the next year or 2. I think would be a great boat to see out. I assume the kit came from John Claridge and was built by Clive Everest.

As for handicaps, unless you have been sailing this kind of boat regularly, I bet you can't get close to 1100. The previous generation of Moths (before the Magnums came along) were sailing off 100 on the old scale, Firefly speed. But I bet they were either miles behind or miles ahead,depending on the weather and on the sailor.
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I'm not expecting to sail it well, I just want to have fun! But I'm really pleased it's eligible for cvrda races. I will clean it up and get photos!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Nigel wrote:Found it. It suggests 1111 for a Magnum 3, 1100 for Magnum 5 & 6 and 1060 for a Magnum 8
What does it say for a Skol? (or what is the link so I can find it myself?

Thanks..

j./
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

It doesn't mention the Skol by name but I presume it is covered by:

"PY 1115
Magnum 3 and 4 and any other designs of Moth still racing built in the early 1980s or before."

I can email the file for anyone that is interested (it would not let me attach a word doc). PM me the email address
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

we have an axeman 5 coming as well, mothfest at Hunts!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Axeman 5 - 1020 suggested
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa,

the one thing in your favour when sailing against the mad axeman is that by the time they came along the PY number was dropping fast - you've a reduction between th two boats of 80 handicap points.

The other issue - very pertinent in moth terms - is that as the PY went down, the skill level needed to get around a course - went up!

Mind you, the Magnum won't be a doddle......

Stick to the M14!

D
David H
angus

Post by angus »

Hmmm seems a bit harsh lumping the skol in with the magnum 3 there is about 10 years of developement between the to if my memory serves me right although 1115 does sound about right for a skol does that make a magnum 3 a bit of a bandit as well.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

moth
moth bow.jpg
moth stern500.jpg
Attachments
moth cockpit 500.jpg
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Looks like it could be fun, Nessa. Are you going to put training wheels on? Bouyancy bags under the wing tubes seem to help the learning curve from what I've read.

As for handicaps, the Skol sailed off 100 when new, so that translates as approx 1135, if I remember rightly, but given that handicaps have all got faster over the years, the 1170 or whatever I sailed off and you sail off at WSC would seem fair, though possibly only with a newer sail, seeing as I don't think we have ever got near the front (or possibly middle) of the fleet...
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa and other like minded lepidopterists......

juts by what I hoope will be a happy coincidence, in the last few weeks I've done telephone interviews with both john Claridge and Mervyn Cook. As the weather is one again pretty brisk....wild and windy here, with the prospect of rain, my plan for today will be to write up what I've learnt. As soon as I know a publishing date in Y&Y I'll give you the heads up....... but I think I can promise you that the Magnum story will feature large...

D
David H