Authentic Anti slip?

share hints, tips and experiences
kfz

Authentic Anti slip?

Post by kfz »

What do you guys for authentic 50's or 60's anti slip?

For both boats, one with full width ply and the other with slat hardwood floorboards.

Regrds

Kev
Rupert

Re: Authentic Anti slip?

Post by Rupert »

Dunno whether it is authentic, but I just put sand in varnish and paint it on, stirring regularly.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I have a Fossilised '60's IC.

The Non slip here is a "Blue" plastic Diamond texture sheet that is usually found on Sailing yachts or on areas such as Ladders etc to give extra grip.

It has a kind of utilitarian feel to it. I kind of like it....
Image0044a.jpg
Michael Brigg
JimC

Post by JimC »

Rupert wrote:Dunno whether it is authentic, but I just put sand in varnish and paint it on, stirring regularly.
Yeah, I'd go (almost) along with that. I would think that silver sand sifted for evenness of grain size and spinkled on the first coat of varnish with a sugar shaker, then with another coat of varnish over the top to lock it in would be the high value option. Always what I intended to do:-)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Jim, I used to do it that way, but have found you get more grip from having it in the varnish. Quite agree with getting the right size sand, though I have been know just to go beg some off the local builder... I tend to heat it in a tin can over the cooker first to get all the moisture out, too.

Another way (good for bits your bum will be on) is to sprinkle sugar over wet varnish. Once dry, remove the sugar with hot water and a cloth (it is really, really sharp, and destroys wetsuits and hands if you don't) and it leaves a lovely non slip surface.
Rupert
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

On advice, I used the same method mentioned by Jim on the FD sidedecks where the crews feet need a good grip when on the wire, but with granulated sugar, we found it to be very durable without ripping the seat out our of your pants when hiking. It also looks better in the varnish as it does not dull it in the same way as sand, and roughness can be decreased by futher coats of varnish,or you can even use one of the coarser grained sugars if you want it rougher.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
JimC

Post by JimC »

Brookesy wrote:where the crews feet need a good grip when on the wire,
I always preferred light line for that, but the disadvantage is that it makes an appalling rot trap. I agree that I wouldn't like sand on the decks: floorboards only.
kfz

Post by kfz »

Might try Sugar then in the modern boat? Floorboards only?

If the rain stays off long enough

Kev.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Rupert wrote:J
Another way (good for bits your bum will be on) is to sprinkle sugar over wet varnish. Once dry, remove the sugar with hot water and a cloth (it is really, really sharp, and destroys wetsuits and hands if you don't) and it leaves a lovely non slip surface.
I'm told Blast from the Pasts' non slip was done like that. It was very effective, and durable. Also, looked very good. Its certainly how I will do the same myself next time I am re-varnishing.

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
fcdbm

Post by fcdbm »

The best non-slip 'Treadmaster'.

http://www.tiflex.co.uk/treadmaster/treadmaster.html

Used on the classic Routemaster bus and quite a few yachts as well.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

does the sugar technique work with paint as well?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
JimC

Post by JimC »

fcdbm wrote:The best non-slip 'Treadmaster'.
Nice stuff, but a tad heavy and rather more importantly far too expensive for most of us back in the day...
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Nessa wrote:does the sugar technique work with paint as well?
Never tried. Can't see why not, but could be worth an experiment first!
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
All the new Hitec Finns use Hydro Turf. This is the stuff that is used on Jet Ski's Its tough but also softer than treadmaster, it is the bees knees according to Hitec. It comes in a several colours and can be found on e-bay. I intend to floor my Finn with it. The great advantage is the fact that it will not wear out your wet suit or give you knee problems.
Cheers Al
Ps it's about £50 a sheet. Not authentic but comfortable. Sugar method works with paint.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Al,
teh generic name is pro-grip. It originally came from the medical world...into windsurfers - then into sailing via the Italians who used it on their all varnished wood (and therefore very slippery) contenders before being picked up by the skiffs - and now it is accepted as the non slip surface to have in a dinghy. I sailed a boat last summer that didn't have any pro-grip and couldn't believe how difficult it was in breeze where you didn't feel 'connected' with the boat. You're right about the expense though there are cheaper ways of buying it if you know how....

The big problem is that this is far from traditional and for a boat like Gently it would be the ultimate sacriledge to cover the decks with pro-grip. BUT..... if you can get past that point - then you also have the advantage that pro-grip can hide a multitude of sins that have been inflicted on the side decking!

D
David H