Early Int. Moth info.

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Michael Brigg

Re: Early Int. Moth info.

Post by Michael Brigg »

You have to remember Nessa that this name may only suit the boat when inverted. :?

And even though it might be a Flyer, unfortunately, (unlike a US Navy F-14)
Charlie: You were in a 4G inverted dive with a MIG 28?
Maverick: Yes maam.
Charlie: At what range?
Maverick: About two meters.
Goose: Well it was actually about one and a half, I think it was
one and a half...
I don't think it will perform so well even if Tom Cruse was helming! :lol:
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Michael,

Just think - all that bull and he was wearing shoes with built up soles so that he did not appear to be a short arse against Kelly McGuniess!

Mind you, that would help him if he wanted to be a trapeze crew - David Hunt wore 'platform shoes' in the FD!!

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I thought he stood on a box - Tom Cruise that is, not David Hunt....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

davidh wrote:Michael,

Just think - all that bull and he was wearing shoes with built up soles so that he did not appear to be a short arse against Kelly McGuniess!

D
Fair comment but then again I'd wear platforms too if it gained Kelly's attention! :shock:

Brrrrr

Getting back on topic David,(well, sort of, but we have to spare the moderators feelings) I wonder if the use of Platforms would have been an alternative to Wings. Something the Class never experimented with!
Michael Brigg
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa... the colour is just awesome - I love it! We've pro-grip in the same colour so you could have matching decks too.

Interesting how he pic shows up the triangular hull profile that became a central tenant of Bethwaite senoir's thinking - but some time AFTER Mervyn Cook drew up this boat!

D
David H
JimC

Post by JimC »

davidh wrote:Interesting how he pic shows up the triangular hull profile that became a central tenant of Bethwaite senoir's thinking - but some time AFTER Mervyn Cook drew up this boat!
Outside the UK there was a steady progression in that direction right through the 60s and the early 70s.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Nessa

Sorry for delay, been away for a while, and unfortunately nothing useful to add to ID 3769..........I have a few year books ('87, '88, '89) and I tried to work it out from photos and by the age of the sail number and which model was current at that time.....but none of the photos show enough detail or direct comparisons, and it is difficult to work out the age as I'm not sure of the rate of new boat registrations around this time....they were tailing off a bit though I think.
There was a lot of info on the Moth website in the archives which I used to check regularly ( I had several Moths pass through my hands in the course of business, so a useful resource) but I can't access it at present as the site seems to be changing...........can anyone tell me what has happened to the archive? ( I still want info on 2539, and many of the early year books had lists of sail numbers/model/owner) If anyone has old yearbooks they want to part with, I am in the market.......that goes for any '50s, '60s '70s dinghy mags too. (she said hopefully :) )
Sami.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Nessa,
I think I've just PMd you.........I say "think", as it's sitting in my outbox, and when I looked in the outbox I found a message I sent to someone else ages ago sitting there too..........does it rely on the recipient collecting the message before it registers as a sent message? Let me know if you don't get it anyway.
Sami.
roger

Post by roger »

solentgal wrote:Nessa,
I think I've just PMd you.........I say "think", as it's sitting in my outbox, and when I looked in the outbox I found a message I sent to someone else ages ago sitting there too..........does it rely on the recipient collecting the message before it registers as a sent message? Let me know if you don't get it anyway.
Sami,

Yes it stays there until it gets opened.

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have read it now!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Ah, I understand now, thanks..........and Nessa, I've PMd you again now,
Sami.
SaturdayGirl

Post by SaturdayGirl »

Nessa

The poor moth you have painted purple looks like a Magnum 5 , i really hope thats the primer not top coat !!

K3769 from memory was a Phobia design" Gyneaphobia " and JC would have had many sails on this boat . I suggest you have a sail from this boat. The Mag 5 sail numbers started at about K3820 .. ish . Any earlier and its a Mag 3 as i think only two Mag 4`s were ever built .

Why not save on the internet ink and call John Claridge .. seems such a simple route to me .

Good luck with the top coat .
davidh

Post by davidh »

Oh dear, to add to my many crimes and misdemeanours - I now have clearly damaged Saturday Girl beyon repair.... he was scarred by my wish to finish off my Contender with a lilac hull and purple (the same coloured purple as Nessa's moth) progrip! Dear oh dear...what will be next?

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Don't take any notice Nessa! :-)

I think the colour is just fine

but then I am biased of course as my Jollyboat is a slightly darker version of the same colour.

Also used it on a Merlin MR2900 a while ago, first in a dark version and then lighter.

Mind you.....you may find that it gets seen rather a lot.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it