Authentic Anti slip?

share hints, tips and experiences
Nessa

Re: Authentic Anti slip?

Post by Nessa »

I'm probably going to use fab foam. It's a cheaper version of pro grip and I just happen to have some left over from my last job (contender)
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

The stuff Alan is talking about is different to Progrip in that it is very light in weight hence the new Finns are using it. but there is nothing wrong with Progrip or Treadmaster there's only about the weight of a couple of pies difference....
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

What about Hydro turf "Bum patches"

I recall there was a vogue for using Bar Mats. (Remember those little 6" x 18" towels with advert/logos for drinks like "Guiness" "Bulmers" or even "Watneys"?)

These would be stitched onto the seat of your one piece Splash suit.
Michael Brigg
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I think those beer mats should be de rigeur for cvrda meets!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
This stuffs way better than Progrip, softer, thicker, lighter, stronger and comes in different types grooved,diamond or smooth and avast range of colours. There is also a comfort membrane that you can lay underneath it to make it super comfy. This is very hardwareing and glued down like Progrip with Evostick. I agree that on an old boat sand sugar finish is better for that authentic look but I would say bu....er that and go for a more effective solution and less knee damage and pain. As Ed says if it improves the boat why not and remember Dave I'm a racer not a polisher.
Cheers Al
JimC

Post by JimC »

davidh wrote:- then into sailing via the Italians who used it on their all varnished wood (and therefore very slippery) contenders before being picked up by the skiffs -
So when did the Contenders start using it?
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I know I used a roll of pro grip intended for a windsurfer boom on my 470 sides back in 1989.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
Your right about the medical connection. Plymouth Hornet fleet started to use Progrip along time ago after a certain Dr. Micheal Seddon discovered that the hospital was ripping alot up as they were going to replace it with new. Needless to say we took advantage of this and most Plymouth Boats had Progrip gunnels whilst Mike's close friends had progrip floors as well, this would have been in the early-mid 80's.
Piece of Cake had progrip floors but we stripped it out before selling to ensure that the prospective buyer would not think we were covering up damage. We actually stuck it over treadmaster as it was softer on the knees and wet suits.
Cheers Al
JimC

Post by JimC »

Nessa wrote:I know I used a roll of pro grip intended for a windsurfer boom on my 470 sides back in 1989.
Yep, I can't recall when the Cherubs started using it, but it was certainly on Norwegian Blue at Sailboat 89. Enough of the Cherub sailors had boards as well for it to be a very obvious choice.
FDGorilla

Post by FDGorilla »

Dad's Merlin (3031) had budgie-grit bonded in the varnish as floor non-slip. Brilliant stuff - very very grippy even in the worst of conditions and you made sure you didn't fall over on it or it destroyed wetsuits, skin, limbs, etc!

As a crew, there was strangely there was some reticence about being posted down to leeward on light airs runs though....
I may not be very clever but I can lift heavy things

Finn GBR75
davidh

Post by davidh »

Al....

Pro-grip v others....

weight difference: If you use 2mm progrip then the weight per m2 is comparable

Expense:

as a 'racer not a polisher' surely a non starter

Performance:

whilst the Finn material might be fine for a hiking side tank, if you have a small area where you will have high loadings... (a gunwale for a trapeze crew) then to my knowledge the pro-grip remains the better solution as you do not want want deformation of the material when in use. As in so many things it is 'horses for courses' - what works best for a given application.

A good example of this is the Merlin where you'd not even want to put pro-grip or anything else on the side deck as you tend to move back and forwards a lot more to maintain fore and aft trim - normally when the crew has gotten himself tied up in the traveller!

Of course, all this is of little consequence if you're trying to go a 'classic' job.... then I still find deck sand onto wet varnish is a good solution. The problem is that even a sugar shaker has holes that are too large for the granules, so you get streaks of sand rather than an even coverage. A fine grained colander can be a good investment (try it out first) as the trick seems to be a little sand over a large area rather than a lot of sand in a small area!

D
David H
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

The Finns use it on the floor David throughout the cockpit. We have nice comfy pads on the side decks...
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
angus

Post by angus »

I have used both sand and sugar and would always use sugar in future with varnish. With paint I would rather use one of the taylor made paint additives. I have also used surf wax which works really well but looks really messy after a while and is a bit of a pain to get off when you want to clean things up, also its important you get the right temperature.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Funny that....

wasn't really going to pitch in on this thread...

but Angus's post reflects my experience so exactly, that it made me do a double-take, just in case I had got up in the middle of the night and posted, without noticing it :-)

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
kfz

Post by kfz »

Thanks guys I used Castor Suger (fine) and it appears fine, looks nice and classic too.

Im guessing it will need doing every year though.

Kev