Early Int. Moth info.

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Nessa

Re: Early Int. Moth info.

Post by Nessa »

darn, as well as a vandalaised prodder there is no forestay...
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Looks very good Nessa.
Best wishes

SB
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I think I'm getting there. Close scrutiny reveals the cunning use of a contender mainsheet as a forestay. Of course I do expect to put it on the water then find I need to change everything. I have certainly given up cutting lines before I've doen a few sea trials.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Looks good.

that photo speaks volumes for me.....a kindred spirit.

I think it is the fact that the garden is choca-block with boats.....the grass being turned to mud.....but the fence is falling down.

Wonderful....just like my yard.....full of boats in a sea of mud, surrounded by a house which is falling down.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

That looks sooooo good Nessa..........(been following on FB too)........I thought I was a quick worker (when I get going) but you're flying with this one (no pun intended).....are you going to be able to sea trial soon, or is your injury going to be a problem?

I've started sorting out the ToY........will post a new thread/pics in a while when further on..... but here is a piccy of her (and some of the rest of the fleet complete with abused grass and dodgy fences Ed :D )

[imgImage][/img]

Maybe it's a girl thing, but I like to have a boat for every occasion.......a bit like shoes :lol:
Sami.
roger

Post by roger »

Thanks girls I can now show these pics to Angie and say it normal to have lots of boats. Now where is the sculpture made up of trailors and trollys. Mine is being put forward for the Turner prize.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Remember Mr Starling's Turner prize exhibit "Shed, Boat, Shed" It seems to have landed in Nessa's garden
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I wish I could get away with that...mind you, I'll go and take a picture of the garage soon & post that up - it can't compete with those gardens, but not too far off!
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I'm actually finding it really stressful because I don't know which one to work on when! I want to get those marauders sorted (there's another one in the shed to your left, just out of sight, next to the french thing which is capsized on the grass(?)) before I go under the knife in May, but the moth came along and distracted me!

Sami, the moth didn't need anything structural doing (or at least not that I could see) and it's a really small boat, so not much surface to cover. Doing it the same colour all over made life easier - no joins to faff over, plus the Jotun paint is quick to use - dries quickly and no need to abrade between coats. Not much to fit back on either, though I do have to confess to trying to force a wing on upside down and the wrong way round. .They are now labelled port and starboard, and this way up!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

They'd never get away with it if they were husbands! :(

I think my wife could be an officer of the RSPCB...A sort of boating equivalent of a social worker... :evil:

Boats are likely to be given a good wash before being put into care. Those that cannot be re-homed are likely to end up having a lethal injection...of petrol! :(

If she see's these pictures she'll be knocking at your door!! :twisted: :wink:
Michael Brigg
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Reminds me of much of Peyton's work - the bloke checking out a new house, only looks a the yard beside it to ensure the boat will fit in.... the house falling apart with the wife explaining that 'he is down at the boat this weekend'...

I jsut keep most of mine at the club (the plastic ones have to stay there for the winter :-(
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Sami..what's the red clinker hull just at the rear of the picture.... tell all!

D
David H
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Hi
I'm a new member and I used to sail Moths in the 70s and 80s - that is definitely a Magnum 5, in one photo you can see the pinched-in midsections which are the obvious visible difference from a M3.

And I've kept every single yearbook and newsletter from when I was a member of IMCA, and every magazine article and cutting on Moths, also old brochures etc, not to mention the huge number of photos I took (some of which I sent to the Moth website for their archive but which disappeared in the switch to the new trendy carbon-fibre blog-type website - not impressed, they won't get any more from me unless they sort it out; and their forum is rubbish too, full of spam which nobody bothers to clear out or block............rant over!) so for the proposed book on Moth history there is now one extra purchaser!

Anyway, great to find like minds out there, I'll put some pictures up if anyone is interested.

Paul
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

@david Red Boat?

Clinker, that stem.....surely it can only be a Merlin?

@PaulM

No spam on here?

Certainly not! The mods will take that as a vote of approval :-)

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Paul, I am very pleased to see you here. Any moth info would be really welcome, especially pics and tuning info! Unfortunately I agree about the new moth website - there is nothing there for us lowriders, and the forum is dire!

Welcome!

Nessa
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World