Early Int. Moth info.

an area to discuss dinghy developments
solentgal

Re: Early Int. Moth info.

Post by solentgal »

Nessa...I know what you mean about stress, I'm, er, in the same boat(s)...........you've got a surgery date then? At least you can plan a bit now then :)

David...........I knew someone would ask.......another ebay wreck......Merlin 3003, not much of a history apparently, future uncertain, needs quite a lot of work, the local kids got to it when my back was turned Grrr,...and not really economic, so ........??

For those with "Her Indoors" who doesn't understand.........just point out that boats keep you out of the house, from under her feet..........I don't suppose she really wanted that shelf putting up anyway, or she'd have got on and done it! :twisted:

Paul, good to have you on here.......I too mourn the Moth site changes............how about someone starting a classic moth website/archive? I am not techy enough to do it, but maybe one of the guys could do it? (in between re-fixing the shelves) Your input on Moths will be welcomed on here I'm sure!

Rupert......How about a new thread......our fleets and workshops/storage tips in pictures? I'm going to start that on "Boat chat" with a couple of pics
Sami.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sami,

ahahah! So it was you that went for 'The boy friend'......... it was just along the coast and I was SO tempted but resisted!

Way to go - will need pictures of that!

D
David H
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

David,.........BOY-friend?? ......so wrong on every level, :D She's "The GIRL-friend.....but I guess you know that really, :)
You haven't missed much to be honest, not beyond repair of course, but sadly worth more as spares now....I'm wrestling with my conscience on this one. I have never had the heart to break a boat before really, I'm far too emotional with boats, (and I don't think this is just a girl thing either, is it guys?) which is not good when you try to make a living from them (the plastic ones, that is), but I really need the fittings, so I think this is the end of the line for 3003 I'm afraid.............I suppose I had better duck now, as there will be many who disagree? ......Comments? ... Abuse?
Sami.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I know what you mean Sami. BOTH marauders came close to being foirewood yesterday. Overtired and emotional - does things to the brain.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Yes, it does get you like that, but I keep thinking of the warmer weather and the pleasure of "tinkering" in the sun.....I keep looking at the wooden Pacer which is anotherm project that is barely worth the effort.........the jury remains out on this one.....I bought it for the trailer, but it may either be a project or a fishing dinghy with the gear sold on due to the cost of fittings and paint sadly.
Sami.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've had to break a few boats up over the years - I agree it is never easy, especially in a boat where it is obvious that many hours of craftsmanship have gone in to produce a thing of beauty, but even a dead Tonic going to the dump is a sad time.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Seems appropriate then to bring this one up.

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/photos ... garden.jpg

A bit of everything there...Garden abuse, Boat abuse, her indoors and alcohol abuse :lol:
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sami,

some times it just has to be done. I've torched not one but two Trott Marauders - both were beyond redemption. Both burnt beautifully......

Not to mention....

I'm sure I've told this tale before - a cautionary tale even. After a pretty wild night at Netley (I think it was the Kestrel Nationals but so many brain cells were lost the details are vague) - glorious warm sunny weather, Netley at it's best. When the band finished we had some guitars, so built a bonfire down on the beach. Brill! Then, to held the 'House and Pound' people clear the elephants graveyard of old boats a group of those who could still walk went and returned with an old Leader that had been kicking around untouched for years. It was all a bit surreal - watching huge blisters appear in the paintwork. We were amazed that after all that time the paint was still good enough to do that!

The following morning was people by a Race Committee that were moving very slowly and speaking only in hushed tones.......when a guy appears with a pot of B&Q paint and a brush "has anyone seen his boat"???

The cheek of it - he wasn't a member but had 'adopted the boat was had started working on it whilts still keeping it down at the club. Even so, he was less than impressed when he was referred to a circle of fire blackened stones and told that that was his boat.....

D
David H
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Oh Michael...........I actually suggested exactly that for 3003, as we need a "feature" in our war-zone of a garden (especially as we may have to sell up soon).......but I also had the idea of cutting her down to get rid of the rotten bits and ending up with (probably) the world's first clinker Moth......don't laugh, it could actually work!! :) ......I think I could even find a sponsor (probably) :)

David..........that sounds like my sort of evening,.. having been pulled out of a bonfire many years ago, boots smouldering, guitar intact (would have been better t'other way round for those with a musical ear) ......apart from torching a Leader......that's one of the designs that hasn't passed through my hands! There is far too much good wood to torch M/R 3003, and I suspect she'll be a scource of material for many of my projects for some time......unless??.....
Sami.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

solentgal wrote: There is far too much good wood to torch M/R 3003, and I suspect she'll be a scource of material for many of my projects for some time......unless??.....
Every medical student among you (should) know this...
The "Babcock sentence"

Patients of normal intelligence and recall should be able to hear and repeat without error,
“One thing a nation must have to become rich and great is a large secure supply of wood.”
Michael Brigg
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Ah....think I must qualify as "normal" then.........now that's a real first :D
Sami.
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

yes it's sad cutting up boats. I've a Merlin I acquired to get a decent trailer, it was a wooden mid 70's boat and it had so many soft bits that it was a total rebuild. I've stripped it down - a decent mast/boom, decent combi, and loads of 'period' tufnol camcleats -which i quite like, so I'll use them on sibrwd.

Next - chainsaw.

the MR 1099 is also a candidate for the saw/fire, since I can't see me getting on to it anytime and the glue joints have all let go. Added to that I'll need to give the shed back to the owner before too long.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hello fellow enthusiasts,
I have only recently discovered this forum and have been overwhelmed with feelings of nostalgia as well as relief borne of the realisation that I am not alone in having a rather sentimental attachment to some of the older classes and designs that have contributed much in the development of our sport and largely been forgotten with the passage of time. Although I currently sail modern boats such as the RS600 and Musto Skiff I also have a long association with the International Moth and Merlin Rocket classes among others. The first Moth I ever sailed was a Duflos built by its owner John Bugeja (Maltese) and I was lucky enough to sail one of John Shelley's own boats, a McCutcheon built self draining Shelley Mk 1 which was an absolute joy to sail. I have owned a total of 8 moths, 4 of which I still have, including a Shelley Mk 1 which I have partially restored. I have kept loads of old moth stuff such as magazine cuttings, newsletters, yearbooks and photos as far back as 1972, but by no means complete, however some of it may be of interest to others out there. I am not really ready to part with any of it, but am more than willing to share information with other like minded ex
Mothists. I have been a regular watcher of tha American CMBA website over the last few years and I am quite envious of the number of Classic moth designs they are able to gather together and race...any reason why we shouldn't start a UK version of the CMBA and have the same thing going this side of the pond?

Ian M
Moths 2883, 3887, 4012, 4015.
Merlin 3097
Europes 294, 364
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Ian, and welcome to the cvrda!

A UK version of the CMBA was something I'd have liked to have seen when I owned my Skol, before the knees got too dodgy, but the rules would certainly need to be different to the American version, to allow old tall rigged boats in. Your best bet will be to try and get as many as you can to one of the cvrda events so you can meet in person and sail the Moths together, and see if it is viable idea. One thing I can guarantee is that you'd get all the support you need from the rest of the cvrda membership in getting it going - we do like an old Moth on here!
Rupert
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hi Ian,
Really good to see you on here, and if you want to share your info/pics/memories I, for one, will be very interested....especially in the 60's era.........
Sami.