Early Int. Moth info.

an area to discuss dinghy developments
davidh

Re: Early Int. Moth info.

Post by davidh »

Ian M and Sami.........

If any of you are near enough to the Solent (well, the epicentre...Bursledon/Hamble) to make an evening of it, can I suggest that you head over. I'm going for a trawl through Ian Ridge's scrapbook and photo archive tonight as I'm still completing my Moth based article. Ian provided many of the pictures and details that ended up on the Moth archive - he has a weath of knowledge on the class having been a close cohort of clive! everest. They had a moth foiling a decade before the rest (towed behind a rib but it worked) and made a moth out of a Unicorn cat hull.... amongst other adventures.

I'm sure Ian would be up for an evening of Moth nostalgia - it woul dbe interesting to see how much material is there! (as that is the first starting point for any futher development of the idea)

D
David H
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

I'm in that part of the world (Waterlooville) but can't make it tonight - pm me and we should be able to meet up sometime if you want to go through my memorabilia (I also supplied a lot of the pictures etc to the Moth site that has now disappeared).

There is an archive on the German website which has some interesting info:
http://www.imoth.de/
(look under 'Archiv', and then explore.......)

Paul M
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi David et al,
Much as I'd love to meet up with yourself and Ridgey tonight to look through old moth stuff, unfortunately I am a bit too far away in West Oxfordshire to make it for an evening. If any of you fancy a get together at some later date at a place and time to be mutually agreed then I would certainly be up for that. Two other people that might be worth contacting and persuading to join the forum are John Butler and Steve Reece, both of whom had long careers in the Moth fleet and I believe John kept the archive for a while. Ian Ridge may already be in touch with them as he will remember them from the old days. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of material from the 60's as I didn't start Moth sailing until 1969 or 70 at the age of 14 out in Malta. After returning to the UK mid 1970 I didn't sail Moths again until the early 80s, but maintained a keen interest in the class during the intervening years while being forced to sail other things. I do have a rather faded set of plans for a Stockholm sprite by Chris Eyre which I was given when I bought my first Moth which was a one off called Hawkwind (K3666). Anyway, I'm rambling a bit now so just to reiterate that a fluttering of Mothies brought together by a suitably bright light is a great idea in my opinion especially if there's a bar nearby!

Regards

Ian M
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Ha! Hawkwind - built by Mal Shepherd for the 1977 worlds at Hayling - I've got a photo in my scrapbook.

I knew John Butler when I was in Moths, and Steve Reece and Ian Ridge from later. Chris Eyre and Sean Cox were also in touch with the Moth website with photos and info about their designs, I don't know whereabouts they are nowadays.

Those Sprite plans sound interesting, I kept a set of Aussie scow plans for years and then passed them on to Rod M of US Classic Moth fame who posted earlier.

And the great ex-Mothie gathering sounds better and better.

Paul

edit: the 1977 worlds was when 'Red Ned' first arrived, built and sailed by Aussie champ Cliff Burton; it was all varnished then, has been redecked and re-winged since. It was quite flat for scows of that time, being meant for the stronger winds of Perth; by 1983 when 'Bunyip' scow designer Greg Hilton borrowed it, it was a bit obsolete because scows had got narrower in the stern to resist nosediving and also the first Aussie skiffs were being built. Some of that filtered through to Lymington and partially led to the Magnum 6 which was quite a bit pinched-in at the stern compared to the 5 and had a rudder gantry, and was indeed a big jump in performance as somebody said earlier.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sorry guys, I wasn't meaning tonight - I'm trawling through Ian's archives with a particular purpose in mind so will be focused on that and little else! But another night - to be organised.

My thinking was that I would somehow document the conversations - either record them as an audio file or video them..... you never know when you will need to go back to that sort of material!
D
David H
Darvillg

Post by Darvillg »

Hi I sailed moths at Ruislip years ago with Pete Conway who designed various moths also one with a windsurfer rig, quite a quick displacment board, I had a design called a Speedy, moulded grp similar to a Europe but with a much finer entry, wa alsso had various Skols and Chelsea Morning skiff, Steve Reece sailed with us for a while, then i got too big and bought an Albacore. I believe Pete lives in Lymington and still sails a foiling Moth in his seventies, good luck with the project Graham
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well....with the number of new faces posting to this 'mothy' thread....it sounds like we should have no problem getting enough people together for a 'classic moth' start at a CVRDA event.

Lets do it! Maybe we could ask Rod M over as well??

If only I was 8 stone lighter and 20 years younger!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Wow, I turn my back for a few hours and a whole flutter of Mothies appear.
I'm local enough to meet up David, and although I never raced Moths (I decided on a Europe for that) I have had a lot of fun blasting around Chi harbour, albeit some years ago. I would love to meet some of the real mothies and hear how they should be sailed :)
Unfortunately my sailing was pre digital pics, hardly any taken, so I can't offer any pics of value, or tell any heroic tales,...... but I'm a good listener :)
Sami.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Matthew (our Skol Moth's owner) would love that - a good chance to discuss how to get them to go well... and Moth people I am told are friendly folk.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
iowlen

Post by iowlen »

Last weekend Rod Mincher won the Gen 1 class at the US Classic Moth Midwinters in sunny florida.
You can ( hopefully ) see some pictures via the link below to Rod's blog , with more to follow ;
http://earwigoagin.blogspot.com/search? ... results=26
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

I put this link to photos of a Womble on another thread:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/x1brett/3182126088/

The mystery is how the box wings were attached - I thought they were built on ribs that went through the topsides into the cockpit tanks. The Mk.2 had a simplified layout and ali tube/trampoline wings on the same hull shape, and the Mk3 (of which I think there may have been only one, Peter's) had wood wings again, on a widened hull shape.

I must try to arrange to meet John Claridge to go through the full Magnum history............

Paul
davidh

Post by davidh »

Paul,

In recent weeks I've been conducting a detailed exchange of information with John C and with Mervyn Cook - plus many other mothists from the past - I'm now finished on the research side and am writing up the story!

And what a story it is too...... I hope you like it!

Dougal
David H
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

As I said, I've got piles of old Moth magazine articles, brochures, etc, Australian 1981 yearbook, plus my own photos going back to 1977 and all the UK yearbooks from 1973 to 2000.

Paul
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Paul, I am hoping to launch my Magnum 5 very soon. Any information or words of wisdom you can pass on would be gratefully received; I am completely new to this.

Nessa
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Oh, you are in for a few laughs!

I remember ex-CVRDA member Alan Watson, when he got his first Magnum5

I can't remember who laughed more.....him or us watching.

Us most probably - if he had laughed much....he would of drowned :-)

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it