Early Int. Moth info.

an area to discuss dinghy developments
PaulM

Re: Early Int. Moth info.

Post by PaulM »

That's a nice-looking boat, like many Moth designs from NZ like John Shelley's.

Meanwhile:
http://web.archive.org/web/200710230841 ... picsIR.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200710060457 ... rchive.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200710070417 ... oat1SP.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200710060109 ... vepics.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200710230838 ... PicsCE.htm

Not all the thumbnails still open but the pdfs are still there - happy browsing!

Paul
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa,

the boat you were getting all excited about last night - 3769 - that is John Claridge's own boat! In the last two weeks or so my mail box has been full of information that has come in to me from all over - I've enough detail now to write War and Peace on the subject of Moths!

I'm not sure what to do with all the extra information I've now got, with the demise of the Moth old archive I'm not sure where to tak ethis next. But I've got stuff that now ranges from the really early boats through the tunnel scows to the modern skiffs..... though I've stopped short of running this on into the foiling era!

Many of the pictures that were on the site came from Ian Ridge who was an avid 'snapper' and recorder of interesting hull shapes - he has his pictures still so I can always rescan then and upload them at higher res.

Paul...you're clearly local - do you want me to pull something together one evening - I've got the scanner here and a mobile hard drive, get Ian R over and anyone else who we can get (Steve Harris springs to mind... the guy from Needlespar) - for there is no point in scanning the photos if you do not have the where, the what and the why...as in 'why is this picture of value'. I've got some great Moth shots already but have no idea what they are - so thier value to me is limited.

THoughts?

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hooray - I thought those pics had been lost- many of them are Ian's from his magic box of photos - there are lots more!

There really ought to be a 'all moth archive - not just the INternational but the Europa and British as well - after all, the parentage all came about the same way....

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Time for someone clever to set up a UK Classic Moth association, with matching website, where all this stuff can go. Pretty sure the cvrda would be happy to share events, even if the qualifying rules were different for the Moths.

As David says, it would make sense to open it out to all the Moth styles.
Rupert
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Well David, I've got hundreds more pre-digital pics besides the ones that I scanned and sent that were put up on the UK website, as well as cuttings and brochures, and I have now acquired a slide scanner and started on my slides (not so many, mainly from 1986-89), so if an "old Mothie info exchange evening" could be organised I'd like to come along.

Paul

edit: I also have some annotated entry lists that match sail nos. with designs.......and I had a Phobia design K-3765 (the first was K-3760 for Jim Prower at Easter 1979 OTTOMH).
Last edited by PaulM on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

weeeeelllllll her indoors does this for a living, so might assist

I will attempt a conversation wiuth her when she is not frantically weeping, wailing, gnashing teeth over the day job....

The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Paul,

when and where were you Mothing - Ian Ridge, Steve Harris and Clive (Everest) were all at Weston early 1980s...

Bringing the best of your pictures together with those of Ian, of John Claridge and others of that era would be great but as I said, we have to be able to place them in a context. In years to come, some hourno chasing a story might not be as lucky as I have been to have access to the 'primary sources'. So, if we're in this for the long haul, things and photos doumenting and to be backed up by documentation - class mags, entyr list, results sheets.

It may seem small beer now but it is only when this detail gets lost that you'll mourn its passing!

D
David H
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

My Mothing was (on and off) from '76 to '86, then I drifted ( ! ) out of it with a half-built boat in the garage (that was eventually finished after longer on the stocks than HMS Victory); mainly in Langstone Harbour, but did some nationals, and open meetings at Ruislip a couple of times, and kept taking pictures for a few years longer. Names/faces/sail nos. from my active period have stuck (pity about the short-term memory!), and my scrapbooks are annotated anyway.

I remember reading in a Moth newsletter (still got them too) about a load of Merlin sailors from Weston taking up Moths.....

Paul
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Of course, if there was the need to put together a 'Classic Moth' site..... like the 'Classic Finn' site at http://www.classicfinn.org.uk ....or the Jollyboat site at: http://www.cvrda.org/jollyboat/

We have the expertise....so I am sure the CVRDA could help.

Would be best to do it with the blessing of the various Moth associations though.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

davidh wrote:Hi McJim.......... and welcome to the site. As you can see, we get a lot of input from all over on every classic dinghy topic there is - though some (Like Michael Briggs and Co) can wander off theme quite easily!

Dougal
Pot? :o
...Kettle?? :shock: :shock:

Hi Jim, you should know that DH is not averse to bolting of down holes either. Let the dog see the rabbit. :roll: :!:

Sorry mr Mod...Back on track...

My only memory of Moths is sailing my Firefly inChichester harbour Fed Week some time back in the 1970's which must have coincided with the worlds. It was like a "flying ant" day in late June!
Michael Brigg
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

That must have been 1977..............you're probably in the background of one of the pics I took there!

Paul M
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Paul, those pictures and web links are great! And Belinda Swain! I used to snigger at her attempts to launch when I was a nasty, arrogant, know it all 470 sailor at Chew back in the day. If you want to invite her to Hunts for the return snigger feel free! I am about to gain my come uppance.

If you do have a meet up I may even be tempted to bring the purple nasty for inspection and the definitive decision as to whether it's a 5 or a 6 - I can't see the difference in the pics.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Definitely a 5:
http://www.campionboats.co.uk/html/sail_-_magnum.html

not a 6 (the white one):
http://web.archive.org/web/200710250534 ... hive71.htm

(picture by yrs.trly.)

Narrower transom on the 6 than the 5, overlapping chines are a bit higher, and there was usually a rudder gantry and wings square to the transom instead of angled forward.

Paul
davidh

Post by davidh »

See...it works... I thought you'd been too quiet of late so just lit the blue touch paper!

I think it is called 'shaking the tree'! Now...back to topic...where were. Moths..1977, the 2nd of the long hot summers.... you might have seen me at Hayling too -trying to learn how to sail a contender!

D
David H
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Apart from the British designs and the Aussie scows, I took some pics of some of the European boats at the '77 Worlds at Hayling and the '83 Worlds at Eastbourne, which all adds to the story (and the confusion!).

The Danish design seen somewhere hereabouts which had been pictured in the '75 yearbook was typical of their beautifully-built varnished boats; then there were the German 'cigar boats', more suited to lakes and rivers; the production 'Speedy' mentioned earlier; and various Swedish copies of British designs.

Paul