Inland v Tidal

General chat about boats
solentgal

Inland v Tidal

Post by solentgal »

Apologies in advance for this rambling post, as having re-read it, I think I'm guilty of using it as an excuse to sort out some jumbled thinking at present, as an awful lot has happened in the last few weeks, and it's starting to show!

As you may have seen from the post in "For sale" we are going to be relocating, and possibly a lot sooner than I thought, having sorted some details yesterday that I thought were going to be a problem.
Lynne (other half) has taken a job in Bristol, but has the option to try several locations over the next year or two.....not sure yet where these options will be though. So basically we are looking at Bristol (in easy commute for Cribbs Causway) or possibly a more central location to enable weekly commuting easily to all points of the compass....Stoke for example (Lynne's home town, and cheap housing), although I take the point that Bristol is not a bad central point with M4/M5. The 3rd option is to stay put for a short time (up to 18 months) while she commutes once a week, but be ready to move quickly when a good opportunity arises......all very vague at present, but we need to be ready. (hence selling the fleet)
I toured through the Cotswold water park on 4th March, on my way to stay over in Bristol, but left it too late in the day to see much.....found Whitefriars, and Cotswold S.C. before I ran out of light, and then timed/mileaged trip to Bristol, and it was "do-able" for regular sailing (thinking of petrol prices)......even better if we settled in Yate/Chipping Sodbury. I know there are other options inland as well, but not done the research yet.
Then yesterday, having read another post on here, I was alerted to Shirewater S.C. on the southern side of the city.........tidal, and a little scary with that current(?) was my initial impression!
That got me thinking.......what do I really want, especially as I get older? I sail alone, as Lynne is Hydrophobic, and, although I intend to have one last hurrah this season, I think more genteel sailing is likely in future, as I have one or two irritating health problems.
I'm used to the beauty and easy access of Chichester harbour.........been messing about in boats around the harbour literally since I could walk, know it like the back of my hand, and although I have sailed elsewhere (Poole in particular) the thought of being somewhere unfamiliar, with nowhere "to go" is a little daunting. But then I thought of all the advantages of launching 24/7 on a lake, weather permitting, and possibly lighter winds generally.........I like a brisk sail as it usually is here, but not all the time!
I think the one thing that puts me off inland sailing is the fact that it is usually club access, ......I have always been a loner on the water........for me it's all about escaping. In Chichester it is so easy to just launch quietly, and potter off to East Head or a quiet spot and feel you've "been somewhere" at the end of the day. Having said that, I like to know there are other folk around though, so it's a bit of a dilemma.
Some views on this would be most welcome.......and any info/suggestions for inland venues in central locations too.

And one last thing... David......I can trace one side of my family back to the 1500s in the southern tip of Cornwall until a hundred years ago, (which is probably why I feel comfortable surrounded by wrecks :) ) so "Brizzle" seems quite Easterly really, :D
Sami.
bert

Re: Inland v Tidal

Post by bert »

Chew valley sailing club sounds like it could suit you as a starting point,Just below Bristol, inland with an island & all the requirments of parking,dinghy storage plus people around most of the time,showers & friendly club by all accounts.Have a look on google maps using postcode BS40 8XN.
Have fun & good sailing.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

With a move to Cheddar area there is also Bristol Corinthian at Cheddar Reservoir which is supposed to be excellent sailing - clean winds and a view of the Mendips
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

..........and a Moth fleet!

The water gets a bit low in summer though (or it did when I sailed there with Bristol Poly in the '70s)

Paul
davidh

Post by davidh »

Chew's nice but one would have to say that this is a full on racing club - very much so from my experience!

Sami - could you not come south of the city - and then base yourself down at Poole?
In the end, fewer but better sails may be the way forward - it's a feeling that I have as well as I too am thinking about the last hurrah!

Mind you - in less than a month it is Bristol Avon...will you be coming for a butchers at that? i've not sailed anywhere like this (ie, on a ditch) before so cannot comment - other than the fact that I get claustrophobic at Whitefriars so this will be interesting (mind you, Supercrewjon,who grew up with Broads sailing, tells me that I have to man up and stop being a wimp). s has been stated, Bristol Corinthian does have some pretty damn good views.... help me here someone, is that the same location as Axe or is that another pond?

Sami - you and I have something in common (confession time here...) my father did the research on the family tree years past and found that on the Hampton side they hung around a bit down in St Just...hung around as in "hanged by the necke until deade" for wrecking. (and please, you can ignore the obvious comments about me wrecking merlins and other boats) so yes, I too have a traint of the cornish blood..... oh dear, that and journalism, the mark of the beast must be strong here!

D
David H
kfz

Post by kfz »

Sami,
sounds like you have answered your own question to me, I think you need the challenge and variety of coastal sailing.

Kev
chris

Post by chris »

David: 'Ditch' is nearly an exageration!

What about Cleveland SC ? (I think it still exists on the Severn estury.) If you want tidal you can get more tidal than that.
momentum

Post by momentum »

There is plenty of choice for sailing clubs around Bristol to consider.
Would be true to say that for your needs most of them have definite pro’s and con’s.
Following are some of the clubs I can recall at present.

Harbour - Baltic Wharf, Cardiff Bay YC

Reservoir - Chew Valley SC, Bristol Corinthian YC, Wimbleball SC,

Lake/Gravel Pit/Puddle - Durleigh SC, Sutton Bingham SC, Frampton on Severn SC, Whitefriars SC, Cotswold SC, Bowmoor SC, Llangorse SC, Llandegfedd SC, Shearwater SC.

Up and Down Stuff - Cleavedon SC, Portishead SC, Thornbury SC

River/Ditch - Bristol Avon SC, , Port of Bristol, South Cerney, Avon SC sails on the River Severn !, Severn SC sails on the River Avon!!, Chippenham, Tewkesbury Cruising and Sailing Club .

Unless boat storage is an issue, rather than joining any of the above, I’d recommend visiting some of the above and blagging a sail or two as a guest or perhaps as a day member.
Inland venues have very different characteristics compared to locations such as Chichester - But, they are definately worth investigating.
From your comments it sounds like you should still consider making time for visits to some of the Sea and Estuary locations found in the South West.

Happy hunting.
Mo Mentum
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Wow......thank you one and all so far, lots of food for thought there.
I expect to be spending alternate weekends in the Bristol area so Lynne and I share the weekly commute, and that will give us a chance to explore the Bristol area before we commit to a move.
Chew Valley is on my radar as one to check out, and there are others mentioned of which I'm aware, and several of which I was not, so a-Googling I will go!
The idea of going south of the city and travelling to Poole was something we've looked at, and will look further at house prices......but I did some sums re the cost of running a second car and Lynne commuting a little further....it's amazing how much it costs when you add the income tax back on to the net extra that you need to earn just to get to work! :shock:
My initial reaction is to live where we like (within sensible commute), and run one car so that on the rare occasion I need the car when Lynne's at work, I can drop her off and pick her up. That puts us on the north side really.......but if we really wanted to have the occasional day/weekend on the coast we are still within range of Emsworth....where I grew up (so, so lucky :) ).........so, yes, maybe I did answer my own question in a way...getting quite emotional just thinking about leaving it behind to be honest.......Hmm, why is life so complicated?? :?
Maybe a bit of both.....an inland club for a bit of (gentle) racing and social life, and make the effort to go coastal when I feel the call of the sea (maybe I was a mermaid in a former life :) )
Yes, I'm hoping to make it to the Bristol Avon event, depending on where Lynne is at the time, but doubt I'll be bringing a boat....ToY probably not suitable, and no parking for her where I stay in Bristol at present......but hoping to meet some of you and have a look at that launching point too :)
Oh, and David.....our family lived on the Lizard.....have you any connections to the Mildrens in your past? (she asked cautiously :lol: )
Sami.
roger

Post by roger »

momentum wrote:There is plenty of choice for sailing clubs around Bristol to consider.
Would be true to say that for your needs most of them have definite pro’s and con’s.
Following are some of the clubs I can recall at present.

Harbour - Baltic Wharf, Cardiff Bay YC

Reservoir - Chew Valley SC, Bristol Corinthian YC, Wimbleball SC,

Lake/Gravel Pit/Puddle - Durleigh SC, Sutton Bingham SC, Frampton on Severn SC, Whitefriars SC, Cotswold SC, Bowmoor SC, Llangorse SC, Llandegfedd SC, Shearwater SC.

Up and Down Stuff - Cleavedon SC, Portishead SC, Thornbury SC

River/Ditch - Bristol Avon SC, , Port of Bristol, South Cerney, Avon SC sails on the River Severn !, Severn SC sails on the River Avon!!, Chippenham, Tewkesbury Cruising and Sailing Club .

Unless boat storage is an issue, rather than joining any of the above, I’d recommend visiting some of the above and blagging a sail or two as a guest or perhaps as a day member.
Inland venues have very different characteristics compared to locations such as Chichester - But, they are definately worth investigating.
From your comments it sounds like you should still consider making time for visits to some of the Sea and Estuary locations found in the South West.

Happy hunting.
You forgot Bradford on Avon. Bigger just than chippenham which really is a ditch.

Never sailed on the Severn Estuary but Thornbury seems pretty active.
david the drive from Poole to Bristol is quite a tortuous route with Bath in the way so not an easy commute. Nearly as quick from Soton.

Any way we would be glad to see youup thisway.

Looks like the cvrda is shrinking back to its roots. Garry moving from Scotland and Sami coming up from the Solent.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Try Baltic Wharf sc in Bristol docks for more space than the river and better winds. Not very serious racing but very friendly. Clevedon is a small club limited by no dinghy park and very exposed launching, but good to visit and very friendly. Portishead has a dinghy park and better slipway, and their Pill race is a must long distance event. Plenty to think about!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Meryl

Post by Meryl »

Now now, no need to be disparaging about Chippenham, we might be small but are very friendly.
roger

Post by roger »

Meryl, Not being rude about Chippenham. Had a great day there in aborrowed BM. But thats about the biggest boat I would want to sail there
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

I think Chippenham looks very nice actually on google, would be very peaceful.....I'll drive by next time i'm headed through Meryl, thank you.

I also like the look of the location of Thornbury.....especially as it is high on the list of house purchase locations........I had no idea there was a club there......I could actually cycle to sail!
I'll carry on looking at all the other suggestions in the morning, but, again, thank you all for your input, I've learned a lot already.
Sami.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Oh move into Bristol....it is such a beautiful city and wonderful place to live. You will just love it and there is plenty of sailing for all tastes within very little distance.

Of course, I have lived there .....and sailed there quite a bit so I will admit to feeling very partisan about your choices.

There are some clubs which are really fantastic....and others which I have found are just not my kind of thing.

On the whole I can't add much more to what Peter said other than to just comment:

Despite the high amount of sailing clubs in the area......there are very few places that offer the kind of 'free', 'fun' and beautiful sailing and cruising that the south coast offers. Cleveden and Portishead (Sheerwater and Thornbury also) both offer great racing and are very friendly clubs, but they are not places that you would or could go for a gently cruise by yourself. The Estuary just isn't like that.

If you want that kind of easy sea-sailing, you will have to either go back down to the South Coast or maybe over to Wales.

The big lake clubs in the area offer very good racing. Some, I would call friendly....and some not. The CVRDA guys tend to 'hang' in the friendly one.

I was interested that you said that you were not a 'cluby' kind of person......

I would echo Peter. Go and drop into Baltic Wharf SC. You have a small but extended bit of water to cruise in and a totally non-clubby club. But more than that, being a municipal facility, you can if you prefer just keep your boat there and not even join the club, but to be honest it makes no difference to the cost and the club is really great fun.

So.....a totally partisan opinion.

Rent or Buy a house in Clifton/Hotwells/Spike Island/Bedminster and join Baltic Wharf SC. Keep your boat in the docks and sail/cruise there in safety and race if/when you want to. Then over the first year, trail out to all the local clubs to try them out. Start by doing the Portishead to Pill race and any of the Cleveden races - including their channel race. Do the opens at Chew and Corinthian. Pop down to Bristol Avon for a bit of river sailing and maybe do one of the Thornbury long distance races. You can spend the first year just finding your way around and deciding where to sail in the future.

Of course, my guess is that the place will just get under your skin and you will love the club.

Drop in and see them, they are really a very friendly club.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it