Rats

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
davidh

Re: Rats

Post by davidh »

I feel a move to the banter section coming soon....

But in the meantime, sod vaccination! I've seen our good medical man with a tiller in his hand, the thought of him approaching with something sharp like a hypodemic nurdle is enough to see me getting Olympics standard times for the 100m sprint - in the opposite direction!

"you'll only feel a little prick" - yeah... as the needle comes out the other side and pins you to the wall like a butterfly. Sailing Doctors are like scurvy..... best avoided - I speak here from personal experience at the Int 14s Europeans at Garda!

But anyway Michael, I thought that the latest thinking now was that the Black Death was linked more to a hemorrhagic fever (I had to cut and paste that - I'd never have spelt it!). I know that when they were working on the cutting for the M3 up past Winchester, there was a great deal of concern that they'd be disturbing the Winceshter Plague Pits - there were all sorts of scientific bods up there at the time!

Back to topic now...

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

davidh wrote:I feel a move to the banter section coming soon....

But in the meantime, sod vaccination! I've seen our good medical man with a tiller in his hand, the thought of him approaching with something sharp like a hypodemic nurdle is enough to see me getting Olympics standard times for the 100m sprint - in the opposite direction!...

...Back to topic now...

D
Yes, well...

"Moderator moderate thyself" might then be in order since it was our good commodore that raised the question of Vaccination.

Roger you are quite correct of course, as I would expect from an officer of the Crown. Rats (even Dougal dirty dog rats :wink: ) are not the only vector. As the Grauniad article points out, it has previously been called "Swineherds disease."

As far as vaccination is concerned, anyone who wishes is at liberty to ask their Doctor for it but as it is not classified as an epedemic disease it would not be provided as an NHS service but would be categorised as either an Occupational health issue, or a recreational one. Meaning basically that you would have to pay for the priviledge.
Michael Brigg
chris

Post by chris »

Rats or more likely mice I think ate this bouyancy tank out of Gently sometime in the last 30 years. Fortunately they didn't touch any timber at all.

When I worked on MR36, which had been left outside for a long time I found an ant's nest of rotton leaves etc in the centre board case. The ants or whatever bug it was, had eaten their two thirds of the way through the mahogany. (epoxy and filler to the rescue).
Attachments
mice.JPG
davidh

Post by davidh »

Michael,

Corr... this is good going for a 'Gentleman of the Press'

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WS ... 35461.html

though with a subject matter of rats and pestilence, it may seem to some rather apt!

Big fleas have little fleas, upon their backs to bite 'em!

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

davidh wrote:Michael,

Corr... this is good going for a 'Gentleman of the Press'

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WS ... 35461.html

though with a subject matter of rats and pestilence, it may seem to some rather apt!

Big fleas have little fleas, upon their backs to bite 'em!

D
Hears another quote, (By Frenchy,) from that all time great, Grease...
Men are rats. Listen to me, they're fleas on rats. Worse than that, they're amoebas on fleas on rats. I mean, they're too low for even the dogs to bite. The only man a girl can depend on is her daddy.
Was Dougal ever called Danny? :lol:
Michael Brigg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Tell me more....tell me more

I went to the doctor yesterday. He said "you're fat!"
I said "I want a second opinion"
He said "OK...you're ugly!"

possibly an original Tommy Cooper so CVRDA eligible
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nigel and Michael......

Okay - so what!

I was once described as being 'Lower than an adders gonads'! But the lady in question came from the midlands.....how would she know how low that low is?

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
As a graduate of a marvellous institution in the Midlands and having met an conoodled with such spohisticated young Midland women. I can only suggest that A They like dominant men no wimps, B that you should have plied her with either pints of M&B of if really "Classy" Brandy and Babysham a tight wallet may have been the problem. The discription of lower than an adder,s naggers is a very familiar one for the Midlands so I would treat it as a compliment.
Cheers Al
thomn59

Post by thomn59 »

Re the rats etc - if anyone on the forum requires any advice regarding the control of our unwanted wildlife, rats, mice flies, moths etc please feel free to ask as it is what I do for a living - I will be glad to help.

Regarding Weils disease (Leptospirosis) I am not aware of any vacciniation being available - those of us working in the industry have to carry cards in our wallets incase we are taken ill - it is there to advise the medical profession that we come into frequent contact with rats

Once again -feel free to ask glad to help

Thom
roger

Post by roger »

The vaccination I referred to was the one we used on the cows. Not sure if its the same strain as the wiels disease one but it was L.hardjo. I am sure the GP (geep?) could tell us.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hey Al.... it's not April 1st yet!

So talk of sophsticated midland ladies drinking brandy and babycham I happen to know has to be a leg pull (as against a bird pull - the object of the exercise)! Nah...cider and advoccat, mixed...worked a treat and had the advantage of being fairly cheap!

The problem was that in a clapped out mini cooper, with rather tired bucket seats, you really were lower than the adders gonads!

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
Theres the problem Bucket seats. I had fitted recliners in my Cooper S.
Cheers Al
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

National 12's had the same problem, unlike Enterprises which definitely had more pulling power.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.