Help! Classic Finns now at Netley!

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
davidh

Help! Classic Finns now at Netley!

Post by davidh »

Poor old Netley - I was worried that it was in danger of 'going to the dogs' when a few weeks ago I ended up helping a friend bring his latest boat down to the club! The boat was a Devoti Finn... very nice I suppose if you like that sort of thing!

BUT NOW - quelle horreur as they say in these parts (normally prefixed by the word Me*de!) - we now have a 2nd Finn in the dinghy park and this time it is a classic - and one with a few tales to tell... it is Elvstoms own boat - his 'trainer' - a grp white thing!

But the story gets worser still - in last weeks light airs race, the Finn won on Handicap in only it's second outing.

Banditry and an ice breaker all in one - a versatile dinghy to be sure!!

D
David H
SoggyBadger

Re: Help! Classic Finns now at Netley!

Post by SoggyBadger »

I'd love to have a go in a Finn one day. Perhaps that boat still possesses some of the magic breathed on it by the great man? If you want real banditry how about an old git who hadn't sailed for 20+ years buying an old Heron for a few hundred quit, knocking up some sails in his lounge and going out and winning the first race he'd entered for two decades :oops:
Best wishes

SB
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I keep breaking mine. Kicking Strap 'stop' on the mast pulled its rivet today. So I thought I would clean the boat instead....

Anyone know the internal structure of a '72 Taylor GRP double-bottomed finn? During the winter (I found out today) some mice nested in there, and now their nesting debris has blocked off some internal drains... I need to know where to prod and poke.

Gah! I nearly went sailing today.....
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
roger

Post by roger »

With two on your door step there isabsolutely no excuse now David.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

It is obviously a race between the zebra mussel, the killer shrimp and the Finn for world domination. I wonder if a good dose of disinfectant would get rid of the problem.
LarFinn

Post by LarFinn »

...they aren't just great boats, they attract great sponsors. At this weekends Finn Inlands at Roadford, Brookesy got a local pasty company to provide on the water snacks for all the competitors. (and very nice they were too)
Andi

Finn GBR75
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Is that allowed?

I would have thought WADA would have regarded pasties as the equivalent of anabolic steriods for Finn sailors :P
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

We were aware of the invasion of Netley with real boats, first FD's and now Finns, you will be converted eventually David.
As for steroids, no need just more pie's, who better but a pie maker to provide support for the Recent Finn Inlands and although the event was held in Devon it was yet another 'invasion' with real pasties from 'Proper Cornish' the pie of choice to the fat boys...
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious