rainbow

Jollyboat mast boom

Post by rainbow »

Wanted Jollyboat mast and boom
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Jollyboat mast boom

Post by Ed »

Can you whet my appetite with a little more detail....

what Jolly is it for?

centre-sheeted or stern-sheeted?

are you looking for something 'modern' or 'original'?

Is the rest of boat finished?

I might be able to steer you towards a mast, or at least help you find one....

but booms especially for stern-sheeting are pretty rare. They are awfully long and did tend to break rather often.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Roger Holman

Post by Roger Holman »

Might be able to help on the boom front, so long as it is centre sheeted. Cant help on the mast; broke mine first time out! so a new one is on its way.

Where are you?

Roger Holman
Mystery J247
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

@roger

broke your new one!

how did that happen?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

Thanks for your response, I am very new to sailing and will be learning in a mirror Dinghy, yes, the idea of sailing the Jolly boat is ambitious. However, getting it up and running would be an achievement in itself. I am looking for the mast and boom to go with this boat, initially I thought the original wooden mast would be great to keep it original, although, any mast and boom that fits it will be good.

I am sure those of you who visit the CVRDA are familiar with the boat I have, as it was shown on here before, when its was being sold on Ebay yes I was the winner.

I have been asked is it centre or stern sail, the easy way is to show the boat, the link is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1156

Thanks for any advice and help and finding a mast and boom would be good.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well....

looking at the photos - at this stage it could be either stern or mid sheeted......up to you really!

As Roger has seen the boat, he might have a better idea if there are any reasons to go one way or the other.

In general, stern sheeting will be more original and mid-sheeting arguably easier to sail with.

But the big difference is that the boom needs to be almost a meter longer to be stern-sheeted, in fact over 3m and since most boom sections come in a max length of 3m....this makes them rather hard to source. You can just about use a 3m length, but it isn't brill....although does depend on the boat - if you have the horse in the middle of stern-deck....rather than on the transom....you should be OK...

Ur.....too many questions? If so, don't worry....Roger might have some ideas.

Keep going on the boat and I will have a think.

the annoying thing (as I think I said before) is that I have 'lost' or 'deserted' at least 2, maybe 3 old Jollyboat masts. I left 1 in the racks at Baltic Wharf Sailing Club when I left.....I had another wooden one which I think I gave away.....and there may still be one in the deserted boat park at Roadford - will go and look. But to be honest.....none of these were that good, or even worth using really.

My advice would be to get a 2nd hand Flying Fifteen mast. It will work fine, there are plenty about and it pretty much drops in - giving you an extra 3 or 6 inches of boom height, which is very welcome as the original height is very low indeed.

For a boom, I would decide how you want to rig it, work out how long a boom you need and then keep an eye on ebay. I think something from a FD would most probably work....and maybe a Five-0.

But keep on with the boat....and we can sort something out when you get closer.

Remember 'most' of the rules are now on the website: http://www.cvrda.org/jollyboat/

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Ed wrote:For a boom, I would decide how you want to rig it, work out how long a boom you need and then keep an eye on ebay. I think something from a FD would most probably work....and maybe a Five-0.
The foot of an Osprey mainsail is 3 metres so an Osprey boom may work too.
Best wishes

SB
cweed

Post by cweed »

Isn't it possible to cut down a scrap, say Solo, metal mast to make a boom, or isn't it feasible for a sail foot as long as this?
Roger Holman

Post by Roger Holman »

Hi; Your boat is stern sheeted, the mainsheet horse across the transom is the give away. I looked at this boat, and indeed, bid for it. Having repaired many holes in my Jollyboat, you have a chalenging job ahead of you to properly repair the hole under the forward bulkhead, but it is do-able. As far as the rig is concerned, you have to make the decision whether to rebuild 'as original', using period equipment, or whether to make the boat a more user friendly machine and use more up to date equipment. Which ever way you decide to go, and you have some serious work to do before you have to make that decision, you must be aware that, whilst the Jollyboat is a beautiful machine, and very quick in the right conditions, it can become an enormous handfull, even for experienced dinghy sailors, very quickly.

ED;

As to my mast; a bit of a mystery really. We were sailing two up, on a broad reach, in the river. We got caught by a very short lull, followed by a small gust, for which we probably didn't react quickly enough, being out of practice. We capsized to leward, and inverted, as you do. About 60 - 80 ft of water, so no question of getting caught on anything.

Crew on bow, me on boat, and brought it up to the horizontal with no problem. I climber on to the board and she started to right. At about 40 deg, just as I was about to make the leap over the side and into the boat, there was a noise like a rifle shot, the rig ended up spread all over the boat, and she righted very quickly.

Subsequent examination shows that the port side spreader has compressed the mast, and Bingo. There is no easy explanation, as you know, I am no heavyweight, and my crew is lighter still. No excessive rig tension, wind speed about F3-4. we have had many similar capsizes, it's part of the deal. No idea as to a definitive answer. Anyway, a new section is on order, possibly slightly heavier, but, as always, delivery times are the problem.

Roger Holman
'Mystery' J247
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

It is possible....and works wellish for short booms, but not so well for longer booms where bending can become bit more of an issue.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I have a section of Solo mast for the boom on my Minisail, but it would be far too bendy for a JB. However, a broken mast from a small cruiser or very big dinghy might work. Even a stiff section from an Albacore might be OK, but I'd not be too sure.
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

I may have a section of Albacore mast if the worst comes to the worst.
Chris
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Might be of some use (depending on the woodworm!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mast-Boom-Main-Sa ... 1c1b831ea0
roger

Post by roger »

My father has an old boom hanging up. Its off a lymington pram (now sadly beyond saving) I will ask him to measure it.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Some older sails (60's? ) might have been cut for a stiff mast / bendy boom setup - briefly tried back then. My Osprey Mk 1 had that.

Have to say it did not work very well - you could sheet in hard to bend the boom and flatten the sail but leach control was non-existent.

j./