Jack Holt 'Vagabond'

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Hawk

Re: Jack Holt 'Vagabond'

Post by Hawk »

Hi Again,

This is just a followup to thank you all very much for chasing up the information for me. When I first posted on this forum I had very little information regarding this class. I have since been sent scans from several different boat identification books from the era of the boat. One of these, ("Beginning in Dinghies" by John Fisher Pub by Adlard Coles (as Bosun Books No.1) 1962 revised edition. No ISBN.) indicates that the design was launched simultaneously in Britain and France, but refers to it as the Yachting World "Vagabond". It's also nice to have a few more photos (scans) of boats for reference. I've yet to see one of these boats rigged, so it's going to be like a jigsaw puzzle for me to put all the pieces back in the correct places.

I also found reference to a Vagabond being restored on a French forum. Thank goodness for Google translations.

I've been considering updating the Wikipedia entry for the Vagabond with the information that I've been given, but finishing my boat is the highest priority. :wink:

Cheers,
Hawk.
Pat

Post by Pat »

When we eventually get the dinghy database converted to include a wiki for each class you can update it on here too.
Penndennis

Post by Penndennis »

Just spotted this, so you probably have all the answers you want.

My family owned VA413 from new in the early sixties. A very good training boat, and well able to race to her handicap on the lochs of Scotland. My father strengthened the transom to take a small outboard and we trailed and camped widely. I think, although I cannot be sure, that he also modified the spar fittings slightly, adding a track and swivel for the gaff, rather than depending on the jaws. Because of the lightweight centreboard it wasn't particularly stiff in a breeze, but we used to reef by rolling the sail bag up in the main, to give us a reduced main and a makeshift kicking strap.

The family only got rid of it a few years ago, still in working order. By coincidence we also owned a small pram dinghy, a Gremlin, which when turned upside down fitted exactly inside the Vagabond, making trailing easy.
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

I restored one about 20 years ago, she came out of a back garden in Old Leigh & was built of very high quality ply, i sold her to a friend who raced her hard at Benfleet & did quite well in handicap racing.
Vagabond61

Post by Vagabond61 »

I have just purchased a Vagabond, sail no. 61 and am currently restoring it to its former glory. If you have any further details of this boat I would appreciate an email as I cannot find a great deal from the web!! regards. Nick
Nick

Jack Holt Vagabond 61 (FOR SALE)
Merlin Rocket 2919 Hornblower (FOR SALE)
OK 1745 (FOR SALE)
Contender (Sail Number Unknown??)
roger

Post by roger »

Any pictures Nick?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Vagabond61

Post by Vagabond61 »

First pictures of Vagabond No.61. - Definately the correct sail number as it is also carved into the transom. Not done much work since these were taken apart from a full strip down and varnish of the front deck and interior. I must say it has come up extremely well. On striping the underside of many layers of paint I have discovered a couple of cracks in the flooring. My thoughts now are to replace it all with new pieces of ply. It looks like it could be a straight forward job though.

Ive searched high and low on google for information on the vagabond but can only find a couple of threads on forums about the odd restoration. Nothing about history, dates, quantities built etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nick
Attachments
Vagabond61_3.jpg
(17.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Vagabond61_2.jpg
(13.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Vagabond61_1.jpg
(21.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Nick

OK 1745 (FOR SALE)
SimonWaddell

Post by SimonWaddell »

Hi - I know I'm a bit late to the party here but on the offchance that anyone is still reading this thread...

I am the proud owner of VA39! She (Sprog) was given to me by my Grandpa, who has had her for about 40 years. I have all of the original plans, although some are in poor condition. Unfortunately they are too large to scan and send electronically as they are 1:1 size!

I am currently in the process of returning her to a working condition. She's been pretty much unused for at least 20 years and the glue has mostly failed. There were fairly rapid leaks around the centreboard casing and which needed to be addressed. I have enlisted the assistance of a professional carpenter/furniture maker who is doing the more technical stuff. Modern epoxy seems to be the way forward for the glue failures, although it is quite messy!

Any recommendations anyone may have regarding Vagabond restoration would be much appreciated; she needs to be able to stand up to the changable conditions on the Firth of Forth and I hope to visit some of the islands in the Forth in her. Has anyone tried using an outboard with a Vagabond? Sprog comes with oars but is not particularly easy to row. I imagine if using an outboard it would be fairly essential not to capsize...

It would definitely be good to have a wikipedia entry on the Vagabond. I will supply pictures of the restoration job and the finished boat once the work is complete.
roger

Post by roger »

Hi Simon, Welcome to the cvrda. I dont know the vagabond but as a Holt design she must be similar to the gp14s and Hornets etc. I have just had a similar glue problem with my hornet and have we had to reglue all the joints. The timing is right as the Holt centennial is coming up next year.
Good luck with the rebuild

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Vagabond61

Post by Vagabond61 »

As I now do not have the time to renovate VA61 she is up for sale complete with road trailer, oars, mast, boom, sails, centre board, tiller etc.

A couple of weekends work and she will be as good as new.

If anyone is interested then please get in touch.
Nick

OK 1745 (FOR SALE)
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I don't know about a Wikipedia entry for the Vagabond.....but it would be really nice to have a few more words in our dinghy database about the design. cos there isn't much there at all.

Would anybody be able to put together a few words and some images for that.

I don't know much about the history of the class......maybe DH could fill that part of the story in.

Looking at those photos....it shows a kite-shoot?? that shows the boat in a bit of a different light to me??

Would be good to know more about the class.....like roger it has kinda passed me by.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Penndennis

Post by Penndennis »

To add to my previous.

We owned VA413 from about 1964, so a reasonably rapid initial growth. Ply throughout, with built-in tanks fore and aft. Adequate buoyancy when capsized, but had to be baled dry of course.

Deck stepped mast, square section with external halyards. Shrouds and forestay attached to the top of the mast by simple loop. Lightweight centreboard - broke in half on one race.

Original gaff had wooden jaws which fitted fairly closely to the mast. After my father had had to strengthen/repair them twice because of the strain on anything other than close-hauled, he fitted a track and swivelling gooseneck.

He also strengthened the transom to take a small Seahorse outboard probably 2.5 or 4 but I can't remember which.

The boat was a great trainer and perfect for family camping trips on Scottish lochs or inshore on the West Coast. She raced well to her handicap.
Vagabond61

Post by Vagabond61 »

VA61 is no longer up for sale!! I will endeavour to restore her over the winter in time for Jacks centenary in April. Any information on forthcoming events to celebrate this ???
Nick

OK 1745 (FOR SALE)
roger

Post by roger »

Great news that you are keeping her and doing her up for the centennial. we are in discussion with a couple of clubs that have strong links with Jack Holt and hope to publish more details of events soon.
Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
pahv

Post by pahv »

Hello Sirs, I have the VA 224 in Chapala MEXICO with my brothers, I want know if you have information about how many boats were registered or built
this boat was built by my father in 1961, I have the plans, the boat, a seagull motor, and sails in good condition.