More Wrecks

General chat about boats
Roger Holman

More Wrecks

Post by Roger Holman »

Another Wreck. I have just purchased another project. A Flying Dutchman! ex-ebay of course, and it seems it might have a history. Sail No. is K 273, and the main carries a stamp W.O.W. 74, which seems to indicate Weymouth Olympic Week 1974. The uninspiring name 'Allison II' can be seen on the bow. (Apologies to anyone called Allison, I'm sure you are lovely) The boat is Dutch built, the builders plate is there but needs some work to reveal the full details, the mast is by Hawker DE Havilland, Australia. The hull structure seems quite good, although most of the deck beams are suffering from glue failure, the deck is probably not even good enough to burn. The boat is however, bone dry, and ALL the bits are there, so a return to 19?? racing trim is on the cards.

Do we have any other Dutchman? does anyone out there know anything about them? The IFDA website does not seem to have much historic information.

Whilst on the subject of wrecks; there is a pretty clinker dinghy laying in a yard in Millbrook, about 14 ft, half decked, in need of a good few new ribs, but probably not beyond saving. Steel CB with feathered edges, bronze CB winch and various other bits and pieces. The boat is in line for stripping and burning, but is too good for that. The rig is still available, but is owned by someone else, who, I think mistakenly, would be looking for about £250.00. The mast is wooden, not sure of the configuration, but I will try to find out.

Could anyone be interested? would hate to see it burn.

Roger Holman
'Mystery' J247
'???????' FD273
Brookesy

Re: More Wrecks

Post by Brookesy »

Hi Roger,
K273 rings bells for me but I do not have access to any records, the man to speak to is the class secretary Tony Llyal who has the register of all British boats.
I restored GBR 350 to her former glory but after losing my crew sold her on, I also acquired another very well known FD which I still have and must do something with when I get time. These old FDs are fantastic value, and a truly marvellous sail, but sadly there seems to be no interest in them from the FD Assoc who only seem to like the shiney new boats and actively discouraged involvement with CVRDA events during my ownership of 350, as they did not want the image of the boat as an 'old mans boat'..... needless to say, they find it difficult to grow the class.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
FDGorilla

Post by FDGorilla »

Hi Roger
Whereabouts are you? There are a few of us on here with FD experiance albeit I for one haven't ever had to tune a non-raking rig! My first FD crewing was on K310 so K273 shouldn't be that different and I can probably remember how an FD goes together.

It sounds like you have an interesting project on - as Brookesy says the FD Assoc will be great for the history of your boat but may not be that helpful with regards to getting it back on the water, even though they're desparate for numbers (go figure....)
I may not be very clever but I can lift heavy things

Finn GBR75
Roger Holman

Post by Roger Holman »

Thanks for the contacts, it's good to know that there are other interested parties. I'm in Millbrook, in Cornwall, just on the right side of the Tamar.

The more I look at this boat,the more I like it. I bought it because I felt that the next stop was probably the bonfire, as I was the only bidder I was probably right! The boat carries the builders plate of 'Boatworks J.D Schooneveldt, Aalsmeer, Holland. I believe this builder still exists; there are several advertisments on Dutch boatsales sites with this builder named, but I cannot find a website. What is obvious is that the boat was built to a very high standard, with lots of fine detail, this will be reproduced when she is rebuilt.

What I am quite interested in is the story behind the boat; if she was sailed at Weymouth Olympic Week it is probably fair to say that the sailors were of a standard, and therefore the boat may have a known history.

Compared with 'Mystery' my Jollyboat, the rebuild will, I think be comparatively straightforward, but any advice will be appreciated, and visits from knowledgable advisors are always welcome. Phone number is (07702) 136134.

Roger Holman
'Mystery' J247
'******' K 273 (Possibly 'Myschief')
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

If you visit the International FD Assoc website you will find a fair bit of info lurking in the USA assoc on the Schooneveldt as they do cater for the older boats and from memory there were a couple of rebuilds going on which will be in the archives.
I may be wrong but I seem to remember Keith Musto used a Shooneveldt hull for a while, and they were very well built.
I am sure Tony Lyall will be able to confirm if you can nail him down.
I'm only at Launceston and have K365 and many bits in the garage including a spare mast and acouple of c/plates etc so if you need to chat give me a shout
Regards
Graham
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Why not make a day-trip of it......and bring up the Jollyboat to Roadford for a quick sail.

Once Dave H finishes his off....we could have 3 up there.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Roger Holman

Post by Roger Holman »

Brooksie; thanks for that tip. I managed to contact Tony Lyall, who was very helpfull. What has emerged is that the sail number I have with the boat is not correct, obviously the sails competed at Weymouth and were then sold on to some lesser mortal. So, the mystery deepens. Apparently there might be a hull number carved into the hull somewhere around the CB case, but I have to go digging for that. Apparently the IFDCA records show only 6 Schooneveldt boats sold into UK, so the field is fairly small. Perhaps the concept of the Flying Dutchman with no name and no history is appropriate.

Roger Holman
Millbrook Cornwall
'Mystery' J247
'******' FD???
Roger Holman

Post by Roger Holman »

A bit more information; having followed Tony Lyall's lead, I have discovered more numbers. Stamped into the top of the hog, just aft of the CB case, the numbers 180, and 67. It would appear therefore that the hull/sail number is 180, and she was built in 1967. There is also the letters 'CB', intertwined stamped adjacent to the numbers, which I assume will relate to the person who built her. The 'Schooneveldt' plate was on the after face of the cockpit.

Roger Holman
Millbrook Cornwall
J247 Mystery
FD180 '******'