We are not the only nutters

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Michael Brigg

We are not the only nutters

Post by Michael Brigg »

Last edited by Michael Brigg on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brigg
Stephen Hawkins

Re: We are not the only nutters

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Great little article....I still glue a few plastic kits together myself on dark winter evenings...Some people just never grow up. :roll:
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

You already have one, Michael, and you can sit in yours!

Does look great, though.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Is it me or does the crew member in the orange top look like Mervin!!
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Post by chris »

Someone in our club bought a similar kit in a second hand shop.

( should we point out that the diagnonal strips should have changed direction on the two halves of the hull?)
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I've registered and posted all this anorack stuff on the model.

:lol: :lol:

Firefly Frog Kit F3007

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... opic=37215
I have been looking to get one of these kits for a while. There was a moment about 3 years ago when, like buses, 3 appeared on ebay from separate sellers, but that seems to have been a one off event of astronomical significance.

You have really done this model proud, although as noted, the orientation of your grain on the Port side would ultimately have to change if you want a truly authentic look.

The interior is painted not varnished and so the grain here is not a problem, but if you were to attempt a “varnish” look on the inside, it would be laid at right angles to the outer veneer.

IF however you were to go along the authenticity route and make this model AS INTENDED on the box illustration there would be another difference…

I am posting a picture of the original Kit Box.

This shows the boat to be modelled on F3007, Named “Tip Top Too” and owned by Ms Roberta (Mimie) Curry. Frog asked for a number that would not present a copywright problem on the illustration and either expediency or vanity led Charles Curry, at the time a director of the Fairey Marine company in Hamble to give the number of his family’s boat.

Mimie was the first female helms to be national champion in this class (and for that matter on of few woman to be class champion in any ) sailing class. Her father Charles was the British Olympic Finn sailor, winning Silver in 1952. He might well have won a Gold in 1948 when the firefly was a the Single hander at the London Olympics (Held in Weymouth) but was disallowed because as an employee of the Fairey Boatbuilding company he was deemed to be a “professional” at a time when the Olympics was fiercely, actually snobbishly amatuer. The Brit, Gp Capt MacDonald, who did sail, a (fully professional) military man, did not shine.

F3007 was one of the first fireflies to be constructed with horizontally laid veneers on the outer skin. It was felt to look more attractive and also had a rather lighter "honey" coulor to it, and claimed to be faster as it could be sanded to a flatter finish, but as the firefly was a strict one design, the Class assotiation quickly squashed this rumour!

F3007 continues to be sailed at a competitive level, currently in Sevenoaks in Kent I think.
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

and for that matter....wouldn't 3007 of haved the horizontal veneers?

Of course the boat number he used would of had the normal 45deg layup.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Mimie Currey, a delightful lady, spent about twenty minutes chatting to Alan and I at the Dinghy Show this year when she visited us on the Finn stand to look at the classic Finn,she was a mine of information and said she was thoroughly enjoying her first visit to the show in many years.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious