Int Moth 3848

an area to discuss dinghy developments
JB9

Int Moth 3848

Post by JB9 »

I was wondering if anybody knew anything about the above? Somebody said it was a dragon... something design? I will post a couple of photos later in the week.

It is now in a sailable condition once again but we could do with a better sail if anybody has something appropriate?
Harrier 25
505 7163
PaulM

Re: Int Moth 3848

Post by PaulM »

If it has low freeboard, totally triangular on plan, with all the rocker forward of the mast, quite hard bilges and plumb topsides and a bulbous bow, built in GRP and with shrouds to the wings and understays.................

then it's a Dragon - I don't know the difference between the versions but they look quite similar. Designed by Sean Cox from Cornwall, probably built early 1983.

I'll check my lists tonight to see if it's on any of them.

Paul
JB9

Post by JB9 »

It certainly matches that description. The hull is red with blue topsides!
Harrier 25
505 7163
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Back in 1993 Belinda Swain, who has been mentioned on the thread about Moth designs, was newsletter editor or something like that and started compiling a register of boats - it was printed in a newsletter, and though incomplete, and sometimes wrong (I owned K-3765 and it was a Phobia, not a Magnum!), has K-3848 and says it is indeed a Dragon.

Between that list and one that Adam May did a couple of years ago on the Moth website, plus my old entry lists, etc., it should be possible to put together a better boat register, if anyone is interested................the modern foiling Mothists don't seem to be. :-(

Paul
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Go for it!

It is what the CVRDA is all about.

Jim Champ and I (mainly Jim) have been doing much the same for the ICs recently. Of course its a bit easier for the ICs...there are only just over 300 of them :-)

I am sure the moth association will be happy to host the list on their website once it is done....and you will be surprised how many people will then want to have a look at the list. If they didn't I am sure we would find somewhere for it.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sounds like a great idea - maybe to go on the dinghy data area of the site? Or start a Moth page in the Classes section, which certainly needs some of us to make an effort on - I've been meaning to get a Minisail section going for a while, now.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Yes the dinghy database would be a good home and the new one's getting closer. I think I've one more bit of editing code to solve before I clean up the development version and move it across.
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

OK, I've made a start. After the initial list compiled by Belinda Swain and printed in Nov. 1993, in the following newsletter she said she'd been through the numbers up to K3206, and that the batches 2400-2500 and 2700-2800 hadn't been allocated. The first number on the list was 2639 and the last number at that time was 4010, which happened to be my last boat.........

Then there was a change of newletter editor and the project wasn't mentioned again. I wonder what happened to all her notes..............

I'd saved a copy of the list that used to be on the website and I've started filling in what I can find. Only about 1,500 boats to record!

Paul
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

This brings me back to my original question regarding the earliest British registered sail number for an International Moth. Just to remind everyone, I asked if sail numbers started at 2000 when the British Moth and the International Moth separated in this country. My theory is that with British Moths numbering in the hundreds and (at that time) sharing the insignia with International Moths there would have been confusion (although the "K" would have differentiated) and sail numbers were certainly in the 2000s in the early 60s.

There is a copy of a year book that was in the archives on the IM website (1965 I think) that showed many of the sail numbers and design type in a list. The earliest sail number shown was 2332, which I believe was my boat, bought s/h by me in 1973. I can't swear 100% it was my boat but it is recorded as a Europa and fits with my memory re sail number. There were several other yearbooks with lists in the back on the website, and they could be read by magnifying the PDF, but not an easy task!

Many of the boats in the lists also state the name of the boat which can help sometimes......I had a scow named "Red Admiral" (I know, it's a butterfly!) but I can't remember the sail number.

If there are batches of sail numbers not allocated, do we know exactly how many International Moths in total have ever been registered?
If the earliest number on the list is 2639 as stated previously, then I can confirm I have number 2539 (a Europa) under restoration in the garage at present, which takes us slightly earlier.

I have more pics if anyone's interested.

I also have a pic of what I was told was a mark 2 Mistral which I had in the late 70s......a poor copy unfortunately. (other pics available)
Sami.
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Yes, that is a Mistral (although I don't know what defines a Mistral 2), but neither her sail number nor the boat name 'Red Admiral' can be found in the 1973 or 1975 yearbooks.................which makes me think you were not a CA member. :roll:

I believe David H has contacted Tony Hibbert who was the prime mover of the Moths getting Int. status, so he may know more on the early numbers.

Paul
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Correct, I wasn't a member at that time, I joined for a while later. I just thought both these boats may appear on records at some point before I owned them, and it might enable us put design types to sail numbers/names.
Sami.
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Image here - hopefully.

If not - link to the album:-

https://picasaweb.google.com/tchanter/I ... alMoth3848
Last edited by JB9 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harrier 25
505 7163
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

No, picture doesn't appear for me, and the album hasn't any Moth pics on it.............

Paul
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Should work now?
Harrier 25
505 7163
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Yes thanks - definitely a Dragon. Only the designer, Sean Cox, knows the differences between Mks. 1, 2 and 3.......

Paul