Unit 2/7 - now a restoration project

share hints, tips and experiences
Obscured by clouds

Re: Unit 2/7 - now a restoration project

Post by Obscured by clouds »

A quick update.

the boat is back upside down, and I've been applying some epoxy fairing compound to the dints and dents. Not too bad but in one place I'm going to have to apply a lot of filler if I want to completely lose the dent. Not sure I'll bother.

Paint is on the way from Blakes; two coats primer/undercoat followed by two or more coats of 'Rhapsody blue'. Then turn her back over and put several more coats of woodseal and varnish on the pretty bits.

fireball c/board fits; new seat is in build, rudder sorted, just need to build a new stock and then it's time for refitting and putting back into the water.

since I am now 'retired' [aka taken voluntary redundancy] I can spend all day-every day on projects like this, as long as my funds allow.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Any chance of being ready for Bosham? Would be fun there!
Rupert
Obscured by clouds

Rupert wrote:Any chance of being ready for Bosham? Would be fun there!
doubtful. It might be but I won't
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
[down to 3!]
Obscured by clouds

Nearly there!

just the rudder stock to finish .... and a new seat to build.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
[down to 3!]
Obscured by clouds

I've had Unit 2/7 out a few times now and can say she truly flies. I'm more than happy up to about 10knots of wind, thereafter the boat might handle it, but my reactions are way slow [ it's what comes from the set and forget attitude of a keelboat sailor :roll: ]

This week I've been out several times, taking a look at the oppies in their nationals. Every time I return to shore, someone is asking 'what is it?' They are generally amazed to find that the boat is over 40 years old. Usual comment - 'never seen one of those before'.

lot's of interest though in how she goes, ease of handling etc etc, and generally pleasing comments since she does'nt look like all the other cookie cutter skiff designs out there.

Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
[down to 3!]
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Looks very good.
Harrier 25
505 7163
roger

Post by roger »

one of the great pleasures in having an unusual boat is the people who come over for a chat because they want to know about the boat. I often have people come over to the Hornet and say they used to sail them.

Great to see the unit up and running again.Great job well done.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Obscured by clouds

Sails

The original Unit 7 sail is a big beast in pink and white, looking more like a label on a pop bottle more than a sail, and probably setting just as well.....

I've used the Contender sail up to now; great in a nice constant breeze up to 10knots, but as those of you at the nats will attest, in anything gusty, I would spend a lot of time in the water :roll: Having not capsized anything in over 20 years, I am now dab hand at recovery given all the practice I've had this last summer.

A new sail is in order I think, together with some re-organisation of the controls, fitting a traveller would be beneficial.

Notwithstanding the kind donation of an old sail, a nice crispy main of newer vintage might be nice. However I do wonder if a s/h Contender main in good condition [ie fairly new] might not fit the boat, or produce too much power for a 40 year old boat, or more importantly, it's 56 year old helm [overweight, unfit etc]

To the crux then; I noticed several decent Solo sails on the bay and wondered if one of these might be utilised

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120839263237? ... 1423.l2649

The luff length is slightly less, which will allow me to raise the boom somewhat; the area is a couple of sq m less than the Contender main [less power?]; it's a mono sail so no problems with cut etc - if it will fit the somewhat stiff mast I have; better shape [looks like new]; better control?

Suggestions and comments please
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
[down to 3!]
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The ToY, which was a smaller boat, was underpowered even with me in it with a Solo sail up in most conditions, so I think you'd find it small except in a real blow, when you'd probebly start breaking things anyway.

If you could get a decent Contender sail recut with a shorter leech, it would raise the boom and reduce sail area without shortening the luff, which will affect the sail shape far more, and enable you to experiment with mast rake without limbo dancing?
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

A modern-ish contender main will in any case have a shorter leach, and quite likely have two clews, to permit the more extreme rake used on contenders now.

Also Alan - a half decent big sail will produce much more drive / less drag than a tired old smaller sail - resulting in an easier boat to sail that heels less in gusts but just gets up and flies. For my 30th birthday I got bought a new sail for my Phantom - the increase in drive and (more importantly) controllability was a revelation.

I really would not go small at all...... except perhaps by cutting down an old sail to give you something sail-able on a blowy day.

And definitely, definitely fit a traveller unless you are using a very stiff boom and very powerful kicker with a mast strut in front of the gooseneck and very flexible mast with lots of control - e.g. modern alloy or even carb**n (sorry to swear).

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
fcdbm

Post by fcdbm »

UNIT SAILS:

If you are looking for advice on sails, may I suggest you contact Paul Newell of Newell Sails at 6 Redwing Quay, The Embankment, Bembridge 01983 872854. I may be wrong but I recall Paul racing a Unit at Cowes Dinghy Week in the 1970-80s. So he may be able to help. (Apologies in advance if I have got this completely wrong....)

An alternative suggestion would be Graham Caws, he is first rate properly trained sailmaker and he knows alot about the Contender rigs so may be able to adapt one of his patterns to suit your set up. Graham helped developed Pete Newlands Contender worlds winning Ratsey sails. He’s also done some pretty high quality Moth sails....

Contact details:
Graham Caws,
Hillis Side,
Rew Street,
Gurnard,
Cowes Isle of Wight
PO31 8NW
gcaws@btinternet.com
JimC

Post by JimC »

fcdbm wrote:An alternative suggestion would be Graham Caws
My Canoe and Cherub sails are all from Caws, and he also did the one off sail for my Plus Plus. So seconded.
Obscured by clouds

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'll pass on the Solo sails then, but at the same time a *new* new sail is beyond my means, since I have another boat to finish.

I'll keep looking for a Contender sail in good condition.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
[down to 3!]
davidh

Post by davidh »

Tony...

have two bits of good news for you...

Firstly, have found a super shot of Unit2/7 taken just after her launch, being sailed from the 'tractor seat' by (I think) David Pelly. If you think a seat is bad, wait until you see the layout 'as was then'.... I also note that the plate case capping extends right aft to join into the transom, that must have made tacking and gybing sheer frabulous joy!

I'm a bit preoccupied with Holt stuff right now but...will you be coming to the show, if not are you anywhere around on the south coast? Have a really nice Contender sail that you can have for the price of a pint (or a coffee at the show...but that is getting a bit pricey knowing their costs)

Regards

Dougal
David H
Obscured by clouds

Hi David.

I think I know the photo you refer to - a weird folding tubular structure with a somewhat bemused and bespectacled helmsman perching on the end?

I'm hoping to be at the show, well that's the plan anyway probably from lunchtime Saturday onwards for the day, but I'm suffering from a pretty bad stomach at the moment, so it will be dependent on any outcomes from that.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
[down to 3!]