mirror mast,boom etc.

Post your requirements here
seahawk

mirror mast,boom etc.

Post by seahawk »

hello, i have an otter dinghy with a bermudan rig but as i want to
use it for exploring local rivers,canal and the broads a rig that i can carry in the boat seems a good plan.
i know it probably wont be as good but i want an easy set up for fun use with my wife ,even sails i can reduce to make things more stable as my other half is less of a sailer than me !
i plan to keep the original rig for proper use when i get more use to sailing.
if any one has spare mirror rigging for sale in the somerset area i would be interested .
many thanks,Dave.
Nigel

Re: mirror mast,boom etc.

Post by Nigel »

Hi Seahawk,

plenty of Mirror spars and sails on eBay. Just a question of biding your time until some cheap and local enough appear.

Let us know how she sails.

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I have various bits behind my shed in North Wilts that you can have for free if you want and happen to be passing. I'll take a look to see what I have left, but certainly a mast and boom. Not sure if any gaffs are useable.
Rupert
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

thanks for the replys and kind offer,i have been looking on ebay
for a while' nice parts around but 100 to 200 miles away.
sails are not a problem but a mast courier is harder to sort.
is north wilts near m4 Rupert ?
thanks,Dave.
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

This business about rigs is interesting as I had won a thing called a Ferranti, with a Mirror rig.
However I was in hospital again, for a fourth time- in a couple of months, last week before I could let him know I wasnt a time waster.
However as my own humour "dried out" no end when having bought another Streaker, foolishly ok ,that looked better than a second one he also had about ,presumably to get similar 'expert repair treatment' in Brantham, Suffolk,it would seem now I bought a pup. In short I put my foot not just in it but through it during a second sail having tried further to shore up the back end a bit with tape and resin.,
The removal of most of the fibreglass taped cockpit bottom, did rather underline the fact wood just wont keep its properies of strength if it has been saturated.
The upshot is I have also won on EBay a plastic hulled craft, described as a Minisprint-from the two pics it certainly hasnt got the sliding seat moulding and it may even be a Mobo, if they did those in injected stuff.
Either way the 18 squid + charity donation, it seemed to good to look away from. she has a too short mast and susequently eye levet boom, which may get Streakerized and see what other bits fit. a bitsa too far...?
ps the x nessa Mobo, is up for grabs again, on the auction site, its in Fakenham...thats what made me wonder if my 2b new aquisition was one too.
Either way I aint doing what i did with a minisail hull I brought back home from GT Yarmouth on roof bars, trying to get it off this end single handedly, as our steep drive led to a gravity slip, resulted in a scenario wherebt the bow put two neat creases in my old Mondeos left front wing.
Last edited by GAVinT on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

seahawk wrote:thanks for the replys and kind offer,i have been looking on ebay
for a while' nice parts around but 100 to 200 miles away.
sails are not a problem but a mast courier is harder to sort.
is north wilts near m4 Rupert ?
thanks,Dave.
About 4 miles from J 16, in Purton, north of Wootton Bassett (Royal...).

I do have an Ali mast and wooden boom, but no gaff. Mast is a little green and needs a good clean, boom could do with a sand and varnish, but on the other hand, if you are passing, they are free...
Rupert
John Dolan

Post by John Dolan »

Hello Rupert, I came across these posts from a couple of months back and wonder if you may still have the Mirror mast....we came off worse in collision with a RIB on a windy day a couple of weeks ago and the mast snapped as the boat went over....
am based in Bath
regards

John
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

have mirror mast based sidcup
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
Southern377

Post by Southern377 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirror-sailin ... 3cbe5f94b5

Think there might be someone who lives near these??

Alan H.
John Dolan

Post by John Dolan »

Thank you to the previous two posts for your quick replies, I'm afraid Sidcup is fairly distant for me but if I get a chance to travel to London I'll get in touch, otherwise I guess the moral is just to keep checking on ebay for geographically close enough listings - the posting mentioned was already closed!
regards