Obsessed

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
roger

Obsessed

Post by roger »

I cant help it. Yesterday our long awaited solar pv panels were fitted and running. They come with a little screen which bluetooths what is going on.

Yesterday i couldnt help it I was watching it all the time and we have reduced our carbon footprint by 6.37 lbs. and earnt £1.79.

Anyway I woke up early this morning(always do after two days of early starts milking) and I have been obsessivly watching the screen. At 7.14 this morning I can announce that despite being overcast and cloudy we were generating 24watts. Not enough to power the lights but never mind.

I can now announce that weare producing 38w .

I know I will get used to it but it is really quite exciting. A bit like learning that Einstein got it wrong and things do travel faster than light. :?

Time travel anyone?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Michael Brigg

Re: Obsessed

Post by Michael Brigg »

roger wrote: I can now announce that weare producing 38w .

I know I will get used to it but it is really quite exciting. A bit like learning that Einstein got it wrong and things do travel faster than light. :?

Time travel anyone?
Well at that rate you will need it if you want a pot of tea!

1watt=1joule/second
You are making (max)38 joules/second
4.184joules = 1 calorie which will heat 1gm H2O by 1'c
so to boil your 1litre kettle = (approximately) 100'c x 1000mls x 4joules/40watts = 10,000s

..........................................a bit more than 3 hours!! :roll: :shock: :wink:
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Bring me sunshine... little dance to go with the song, too, Roger?
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Michael Brigg wrote:
..........................................a bit more than 3 hours!! :roll: :shock: :wink:
... only if you have 100% effective insulation on the kettle!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
roger

Post by roger »

Oh you bl**dy doom mongers. I have produced 5kwhours today. and it leaves me feeling a little bit smug. Its earning more than it would in the bank at the moment.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Pat

Post by Pat »

We had the water heating solar panels on the house we bought in 1986 and they were very effective, especially on those bright cold winter days. We'd like solar panels on the new extension so we'll be tapping you up for details Rog.
chris

Post by chris »

An Edwardian Windermere steam launch fitted with a kettle powered by the steam - known as a Windermere kettle - could boil a gallon of water to make tea for the gentry on board in ten seconds! OK OK the carbon footprint is no match though, but a nice way to make a cuppa.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I'm always impressed by the solar boiling kettle at the centre for alternative technology in Wales... I think it was just two black painted radiators in double glazed boxes, with a hot coil in the kettle. About an hour per pot of tea? But usually solar is better used for lower temperature applications as you loose less energy then.

Lots of solar powered boats at http://www.electric-boat-association.org.uk/solar.htm but I don't think any of them can make a cup of tea.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Meryl

Post by Meryl »

We had a solar powered boat at Chippenham a while ago, curtesy of the Gaget Show, they did a spot with 2 boats competing, solar v traditional, all the usual banter etc. Lots of fun and took all day (12 hours!) to get a tiny bit of film for the show.
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Just installed a solar hot water tubed system at home with some of my hard earned pension pot :roll: . Have had a summers worth of hot water - in a not very good summer - will see what it's like this winter.

I only really went for it since I had to revamp my old hot water boiler and tank set up. Ripped all that out and went 100% solar and as there's no central heating it's more than adequate for all my needs, and a decent pressure on the hot water.

I'd like to put up PV's too, but there's no room on the roof!
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]