wanted: a tippy moth for as little money as possible

Post your requirements here
ham4sand

wanted: a tippy moth for as little money as possible

Post by ham4sand »

hi all, im new here, and im 17, and im looking for an old lowrider to sail with a friend. money is tight, but i have accseess to loads of left over carbon fibre from my recent modern cherub build. basically, which of the old moths was the most "fun" (fast and tippy with racks) to sail, and where can i find one like it for basically no money, ideally with all bits needed to sail it, if in need of repair before doing so.
john
Max McCarthy

Re: wanted: a tippy moth for as little money as possible

Post by Max McCarthy »

What is your budget, and what design are you looking for?
The cheapest boats are the earlier designs, and are still tippy, although sometimes these are more expensive due to being vintage (although they cost more to maintain, due to having to paint and varnish). Or are you looking for a more modern 1990 type design like a foiling moth without hydrofoils?
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Rupert

Re: wanted: a tippy moth for as little money as possible

Post by Rupert »

Sounds like you might be looking for a Magnum 8 sort of Tippiness, but they still generally fetch a few hundred quid. The Older Magnums, such as the one Nessa painted an interesting shade on a different thread, are sometimes found in the back of boat parks with weeds growing round them, but you'd have use for that left over carbon, and you'd probably need to find a fair amount of kit, too, which can cost more than a cheap boat.
Rupert