Jollyboat wanted

Post your requirements here
Chrisrjwood

Jollyboat wanted

Post by Chrisrjwood »

Hi All. I am new to CVRDA but have owned and sailed classic boats for many years including an original 'Rocket' and Brightlingsea One Design C11 'Grayling' which I owned for about 5 years and which is pictured on your website.

I now sail a National 18 but I am interested in a Jollyboat although I know that they are few and far between.

If anyone has one to sell or knows of one looking for a new home, perhaps you could let me know?

Regards to all, Chrisrjwood
Chrisrjwood
Jollyboat J325 Serendipity
Rouse I14 'Brown Trousers' K1094
Kirby 7 I14 Last Chance K1120
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity
Uffa Fox I14 Nymph K524 (under restoration)
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Jollyboat wanted

Post by Ed »

Looking for something that is 'up and running'.....or would you consider a project?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Chrisrjwood

Post by Chrisrjwood »

Hi Ed, thanks for your reply. I would consider a project as I have rebuilt a few boats including my N18 and I have the tools and facilities. Regards, Chris Wood
Chrisrjwood
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Was your Rocket a Rocket pre the Merlin merger. I have a Rocket design post merger at No 252 Gannet and built in 1951 and wonder if you had any info on her which I may not have. Thanks in advance
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Gary,

How is Gannet?

Have you repaired her after the thump she got at the Nationals?
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Chrisrjwood

Post by Chrisrjwood »

Hi Gary, it was a pre-merlin, can't remember the sail number now but it was very low, I'll see if I can find some photos. She had rolled side decks, clinker mahogany planked, swivelling mast with two sets of spreaders and diamonds, cotton sails and a fixed brass bilge pump which was continuously needed as she always leaked a bit due to being drysailed! Regards, Chris
Chrisrjwood
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Gannet is waiting to go into the workshop - she needed to dry out before the repair.

Thanks for the information - some photos would be great as I haven't seen a Rocket with rolled decks.

Regards

Garry
fcdbm

Post by fcdbm »

There is Jollyboat resting infront of a house in Ward Avenue in Cowes.

All varnished hull, broken wooden mast, rotted cover, needs tlc.

Would you be interested. If you are I'll knock on their door.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Very doubtful if Chris "Rocket" was one - all Rockets had narrow Nat 12 style sidedecks and not a swivelling mast. The description is definitely a Merlin.

Mike Liggett
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

It would be interesting to know a little bit more about the Jollyboat in Cowes...

it is a long shot, but Jollyboat J1, the original development boat, that Uffa Fox had, was being re-built in Cowes......and then fell off the radar and I havn't heard anything about the boat for quite a while.

That is the only Jollyboat that I know of in Cowes.....so it might just be worth checking to see if this is that boat.

If so, then it has quite a bit of history and would be worth following up on.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ed,

Over the Christmas break I had some emails about J1...Uffa's own boat (? - I'm not sure on any of these facts - these are just what was reported to me...): that j1 won the Cross Channel dinghy race, with Uffa at the helm and then appeared at some of the IYRU events where the new performance dinghy was being selected. Did J1 then figure for a while on the National Historic Boat database?

Now I'm a resident 'corkhead', complete with the eye in the middle of the forehead (it marks one out as a resident) if it was J1 i'd love to go and get pics

D
David H
Chrisrjwood

Post by Chrisrjwood »

Mike, thanks for your post re 'Rocket'. I am sure that you are correct. As I recall the sail number was 216 or thereabouts, so as you say it was more than likely an early Merlin.

Ed, the jollyboat in Cowes is sitting in a garden on a trailer partly covered. I am sending you an email with the contact details.

Also, I have taken possession of David Harker's boat J325 which I intend to get on the water this spring. I will contact you regarding your boat.

Regards, Chris Wood
Chrisrjwood
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity
davidh

Post by davidh »

Chris,

Where are you on the Island and are there enough of us here to make a get together a worth while activity? (at the classic boat museum??) . Where do you go to sail classics around here?

Dougal, ventnor
David H
chris

Post by chris »

If it was Merlin 216 then I still use the sails from her! She was called Sealgh and was a Charm design from Jack Holt. You can find a picture of her next to a wide Merlin on page 68 of the merlin book. For a while the same person owned 216 and no 6 (which I now have) and one of the cotton sails for 6 are have had the 21 removed which have left the 6 off centre. Nice Ratsey sails too.
chris

Post by chris »

Just noticed in a merlin Year book from 1989 that a C Wood living in Cambridge owned 224 called Brumas rather than 216. Is that you? Still a Charm design and built by Holt.