Seeking 70's Merlin Rocket

Post your requirements here
RDP

Seeking 70's Merlin Rocket

Post by RDP »

Seeking 1970’s Merlin Rocket. Satisfaction or Smokers Satisfaction or NSM would be ideal but interested in anything that can carry a bit of weight. Happy to do a little refurbishment if necessary but major repairs (re decking etc) are beyond my capabilities. Anything within 100 miles or so of M4 / M25 junction would be of particular interest. If you have anything that you think might fit the bill I would love to hear from you.
davidh

Re: Seeking 70's Merlin Rocket

Post by davidh »

Hi...

I was in the process of 'pimping' my Smokers...3025 (circa 1976) when I was taken ill last summer and everything ceased..I was just in the process of refitting and screwing the blocks and cleats back on.

Whoever had worked on the boat before me must have been nothing but a 'bodger' for as soon as the boat was pushed hard in race conditions, all the fittings pulled off. Hence the rebuild...I'm not used to bits breaking so had put the boat back together to be bullet proof.

The boat looks wonderful..... I can post some emails if you like

Dougal
David H
RDP

Post by RDP »

Thanks. I have sent you contact details.
Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

Hi, There's a cheap Smokers on the Merlin website which is at Surbiton. Sounds like a good prospect for the money, also a slightly dearer one in the midlands. Cant go wrong for that price! The NSM on e-bay yesterday had good potential but needed proper work. I was bidding till my vegetables boiled over and I had to run to the kitchen...... I've pimped two Smokers now. 2997 is a total hot-rod with new tank/bulkheads/decks and fully carbonised above decks. Shes done quite well on the Silver Tiller circuit with 28/29 stone in her and she did the Nationals back at her birthplace of Whitstable. It was nice that people recognised her there after a 40 year absence, as she still looks much as she did then. I've now finished 3185, pending 'sea trials', one of the last Smokers which was Alan Jackson's first boat before he traded as Chipstow Boats. I bought her on e-bay for £81 with no decking or paint but that saved me the trouble of removing same. Shes still got alloy spars as I'm too mean to spend the money, but sailing on the pond I don't think it'll make that much difference. With over 100 Smokers built they were almost a class in themselves and it would be nice to see more of them around in fine fettle. Happy hunting. Godfrey
RDP

Post by RDP »

Godfrey

Thanks for the encouragement. Had a look at the one at Surbiton before Xmas. Needs new decks, a good project for someone but beyond my skills and facilities I'm afraid. The other one looks more promising but still needs work before it could be sailed as the current owner admits. Passed it up before Xmas but haven't completely given up on it. Depends what, if anything, else is out there.

Roy
RDP

Post by RDP »

Still looking so if any of you are thinking of moving on to another project / class and have something that you think might interest me I would be pleased to hear from you.
RDP

Post by RDP »

Success. It looks as though I will become the new owner of MR 3241 "Lady J" on Sunday.
RDP

Post by RDP »

Deal done and I am very pleased. 3241 is one of the foam sandwich composite Omega / Rowsell boats (built 1981) so perhaps not one for the real Merlin die hards but she suits me just fine. A bit of over enthusiastic sanding has left the decks without the top veneer in places but they appear to be sound and have plenty of varnish on them. Apart from that she seems fine and I'll never have to worry about failed glue lines in the planking and rot in the hog at the stern. Just need to get her back in the water now.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sounds like a good choice of boat, there.
Rupert
RDP

Post by RDP »

Thank you Rupert. I certainly hope so. I already have a rather pretty Richard Lovett built Solo (3174) which is varnished stripey sapele all over. She gets used all year but takes a fair bit of looking after so a lowe(er) maintenance Merlin to sail in company will maximise time on the water vs time with the sandpaper and varnish brush.
RDP

Post by RDP »

All checked out, cleaned up, fettled and back in the water. Brilliant!
Attachments
This feels great.JPG