Whatever happened to..... (not the Likely lads!)

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
davidh

Whatever happened to..... (not the Likely lads!)

Post by davidh »

I'm always very mindful of the need to NOT use this forum for self promotion, but there are some topics that are so close to your hearts that it suggests that you really do want to know what is happening.

This then is an early heads up, so that the intellectuals amongst you get a chance to put your thinking caps on (and no doubt heckle me voluably from the side lines)!!

BUT.... amongst my other writing committments will be a new 'Top Ten'. "Whatever happened to the.....???????" will be a look at the top ten lost classes, plus a wrap up where I'll suggest hot prospect candidates for classes to join this sad elite group. This is a work that is currently in the early stages... i'm thinking UK design, not a one off/prototype/ lapsed Class Association/must have held national championships at some point. The other day Nessa kindly acted as a guinea pig and we trialled the idea with her picking out classes...then I found she'd got her book out and was working with a crib! As with the Top Ten Dinghy designs, it will also be about the justification 'why', so it will not be a simple exercise by any stretch of the imagination. I do hope you enjoy this, for I'll be right at the very heart of the lost classes, something dear to many of you on here.

The other news has to be the decision taken by Microsoft to pull the plug on the thousands of small websites they've encouraged to start up, only to pull the plug on now. So, later on this spring the old 'beafacemedia' site will close, though i'll be replacing it with something that more closely reflects the work I'm doing these days.

There will be a big lost classes section, extra space for news and details on the Mirror 14.....plus some other more interesting sections..... once I have the details on this I'll post news of the new 'identity'.

For now though good luck with the "whatever happened to..." series - I'll let you know when this will be kicking off (expect a first instalment after the dust settles on weymouth)

D
David H
Obscured by clouds

Re: Whatever happened to..... (not the Likely lads!)

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Looking forward to it. Intriguing and interesting.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
davidh

Post by davidh »

Thanks Tony...

I think I can pretty much guarantee some surprises.......

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

David - save your Bearfacemedia content on your home pc. We'll be looking for content about dinghies and people shortly for the new database.
And you could look at Wordpress.com for a blog site for personal use!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

You could get some hate mail on this one...

To be lost, does it at some point have to have been dealing with large numbers? The Minisail is an obvious example, but can a class like the Pegasus or the Tonic, where there were only 2 or 3 hundred built, be regarded as lost, or was it never truly "found" in the 1st place?

Finding the true story of Why is also going to be an interesting exercise - by their very nature, there are not going to be too many people around who can tell you the true story of what happened to the class, and even then it will be coloured in some cases by the politics of what was going on at the time within the class.

And does it have to be "gone" worldwide?

I have some views on which boats will be the next to become lost in the UK (and why), some of which would still be big elsewhere, but I'm keeping my mouth shut for once on open forum so as not to offend!
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

I would be very careful about suggesting which classes will be the next lost ones. i have a pretty good idea of one which you would put in that category and you may well be accused of helping them on the way.

But an interesting idea on the genuinly lost classes. I look forward to the discussion here.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Whatever happened to the Fleetwind?
Rupert
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Fleetwind?
A very good question! Anyone know the whereabouts of FW 422 (Fledermaus) or FW 192(?) FWizz, or FW 37? ish (Cask) would love one of this trio back. Lovely little boats, and on my list to find/restore a wooden one. (not so keen on the GRP version).
Sami.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Swift cat?
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
davidh

Post by davidh »

Peter,

It is one of 'Henshall's laws' that there is a very different dynamic at work with cats than to dinghies with regards to failing/lost classes. To the Swift you could add the Rivercat, Jumpahead, YW Cat and a host more...... but sadly, this time around I'll be focusing on the monohulls

D
David H
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Sorry David, as an engineer I usually try to operate within the laws!
Only reason I mentioned the Swift is that they were a large class (over 400), had an internatioanl presence (UK and Holland) then disappeared very quickly. I'm not aware of any other cat having the same presence then decline and so thought this was closer to the dinghy analogy you were looking at.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash