Coaching/racing weekend at Whitefriars in the early spring

Chat about CVRDA events
Max McCarthy

Re: Coaching/racing weekend at Whitefriars in the early spri

Post by Max McCarthy »

That is good, I look forward to trying out a comet trio!
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

We are now confirmed as going to the Old George for dinner on Saturday night. I'll be taking your orders when you enter in the morning, and passing them on to the pub, which starts serving at 6.30, so we can get there a little early for a drink and a chat about what we've learned before scoffing.
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Just been and raided ASDA for lunch for the weekend, so please come along, or I'll have to eat all the flapjacks myself!
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

I was just wondering if I needed to pack some lunch.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Lunch provided. As is sunshine! And a nice 7-8mph breeze, according to the BBC. Perfect coaching weather!
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hope you all have good week end. Will be out in Finn with the other Roadford Finns Training for the Finn Classic Nationals at Falmouth.
Cheers Al
Ps Now have name for the new Finn Suggested by Martin Turner of Wishbone Ash "THE BEER HUNTER"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

An excellent weekend of coaching and sailing. Weather was perfect, with Sunday edging it for breeze, but beautiful sunshine both days.

Thank you to everyone who came, especially those who helped with the hot cross bun mountain at the end of Sunday!

I hope to write down my thoughts on what I saw over the weekend to get some cvrda coaching materials together. I also have some video footage which I hope to look at over the next few days. John, if I get the bits that are OK to you, will you be able to make something of them?
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I am really sorry I could not come; I suffered forearm meltdown on Friday, woke up to find it no better on Saturday and knew I wouldn't manage. Still not officlally allowed to sail, so can't push my luck. Very sorry indeed.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I thought it might be something arm related. I'm really sorry you missed it. I had a go in Nigel's Megabyte - great fun.
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi All, I would like to thank the organisers of Whitefriars event, especially Rupert who helped and encouraged me this weekend, I managed several firsts, first solo sail without an instructor, first capsize ( three actually ) I had not done any capsize practice at all other than theory, but managed to get back up, first rigging failure which resulted in a tow of the rocks. The aquabat which appeared docile in the hands of other sailors was a battle for me, the boat won about 3 nil, I have a bruised cheek a bruised ear and a thick lip, bruised shins from rocks, not a bad sail all told. I had to dash off today due to storing boat, so apologies to any one I did not say cheerio to. Thanks Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It was great to see you and the Aquabat this weekend, Rob. For someone with so little experience, you were doing brilliantly.

The sail looked in really good condition, so I'd not worry about getting a new one - just the changes to the out haul along the boom to get it tighter - or make the new boom a couple of inches longer! You'll find a stiffer boom will allow the sail to stay flattened, so helping you go up wind.
Rupert
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Had a great day on Saturday, and my sister enjoyed it too. It was nice to meet a few people as well, and the coaching was top notch. It was great to see how the sail was affected by the controls, and that it isn't always necessary to have the sail fully in to go upwind. All in all a great day. Thank you for organising it, it was very enjoyable for both my sister and I. Unfortunately I couldn't go on Sunday due to prior arrangements. Are there any more of these coaching weekends planned?

Thank you very much, I enjoyed learning more about sailing, and what bits do what and so on.

Thanks Rupert, Roger, and the others for organising it all.

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Rupert wrote:. John, if I get the bits that are OK to you, will you be able to make something of them?
Yes - I'd be delighted... any photos or video clips got to me by the end of next weekend, then I should be able to compile some useful stuff over the Easter school Holidays.

Meanwhile, the video I took in raw, un-edited form, is available to you all on youtube. Search for jpa9cds to find them. Once edited and captioned they may be more useful and I will set up a cvrda channel for them. Something like the Finn Channel - that's another good search on youtube, by the bye.

If you have video or photos you would like compiled into a shared resource, please pm me then we can discuss how to get them to me - please do not email them to me or post them on this forum - that would cause bandwidth problems.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Just wanted to add my thanks to Rupert, John and the team at Whitefriars. An excellent weekend with plenty to think about and work on.

Also good to put some faces to the names on the forum.

Currently walking like a clockwork penguin but still have a big smile on my face :D .

Nigel
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I to would like to add my thanks.

Lots of Moths for Chris to look at and much advice on how to sail and upgrade it.

Even if he did manage to break it - cockpit floor making a break for freedom. At least we have a dry week in which to effect a repair and convert it to centre main.

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"