Restoring an old timber rowing VIII

share hints, tips and experiences
alan williams

Re: Restoring an old timber rowing VIII

Post by alan williams »

Hi Rupert
I have no problems with the giving advice to all who seek it as regards the repair of any boats. However as Ed says interest in rowing boats and sculls is just not there. So should we provide a platform for a few people?
Al
Last edited by alan williams on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
FDGorilla

Post by FDGorilla »

I've rowed an FD down virtually every run I've sailed in one but that probably isn't quite where this discussion is going....

For what it's worth, I also enjoy rowing - properly not with a spinnaker or mainsheet - so for me a sub-forum would be of interest. However, I'm probably in a minority and, this being a democracy, can see that this possibly isn't helpful on a dinghy based site irrespective of fairly low 'traffic' through it. I agree that I don't beleive anyone would be snobbish and refuse to answer a maintenance question as virtually everyone I've spoken to within CVRDA just loves old things which float (in some cases just sort of float). Some even like old things which float and have engines but we don't like to talk about those members and certainly don't let them out much....

I digress. Rupert seems to have nailed it - better to add queries to the general thread than have a sub-section languishing.

But if anyone knows of a heavy weight scull going for peanuts, the ergo is getting very boring and mornings getting much lighter....
I may not be very clever but I can lift heavy things

Finn GBR75
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Bad timing.....

one just went on ebay for very little:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200729255325? ... 1423.l2649

I am sure you know that if you are looking, then the places to look are:

http://www.randracing.com/used_boats.htm
http://noticeboard.rowingservice.com/
www.scullingboatsales.com/

and ebay of course!

I will keep an eye out. Personally I am looking for a nice wooden double-scull.....that would be nice.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

FDGorilla wrote:
But if anyone knows of a heavy weight scull going for peanuts, the ergo is getting very boring and mornings getting much lighter....

Looking at the ebay boat I think you had a lucky escape.. Its a Plastic/wood composite, and once the skin has a break the entire structure is compromised. Not a simple repair at all!

If its a fine scull you want, choice depends alot on what your skill factor is. There is a gulf to be bridged between ergo monster fine sculler.

I reckon the Northern clubs have few, on their site here,

http://www.nerowing.com/ads.html

...but they tend to be slow to clear the ads when they sell.

There is also a Coastal boat up for grabs on the Rowing services site...
4434.Coastal sculling Boat
Coastal sculling boat ,elderly and stored for quite a while buts lots spent on it before storage,£250.00
Date Posted: 15th Mar 2012, 19:06
ebay quite often has stuff in the " Other watercraft" subsection of "boats and watercraft," found in the "Cars motorcycles and vehicles" category.

Anyway,... getting back on thread!

I didn't mean to cause any trouble, but we are clearly back into the season. Apollo has driven his chariot back into the Northern hemishere and the sap is rising. It's discussion time! There is of course an exceptional racing programme lined up for the season and participation is healthy in both forum and on the wter.

My original purpose in raising this was to suggest that cross pollination of skill or experience might be fun, educational and politic. A sub section for rowing would be I think very probably little used, and as Rupert rightly points out, a forum with a series of unused sections quickly stgnates into an unused facility.

Forum sections should all remain as diverse as is feasible. It is the collective brain rather than the selective one that imparts the so called "wisdom of crowds."

As far as the problems a year or two ago are concerned I thought this was far more to do with personality clashes strongly held opinions opinions than any concerns about "splitting" the CVRDA. I do agree with Dougall that becoming fount of all received knowledge runs the risk of losing sight of the original. A bit like Yamaha, once a motorcycle manufacturer, now making electric organs, or Marks and Spencer,s as commodity bank.

Rowers, though many of us sail, are a very different breed to sailors. The sport has diversified a little and the ARA, now rebranded as "British Rowing," (for which read, England, with a (tiny) bit of Scotland and Wales now includes a large amount of print in its "Regatta" Magazine to Surf rowing, Coastal, Gig, Rowing Tourism (trips along the Rhine in very large tubs) adaptive and Skiff and punt racing. There is also of course "pulling" as seen in naval cutters and Sea scouts, and many Rowing/Canoe/Rugby/Scout groups join up on occasion for a spot of Dragon boat racing, but that is a vogue that has since ost its way a bit.

Its all good fun, almost all to be found organised at a very parochial level, and at present too small to create a need for a national organisation. So much of this type of stuff goes on under umbrella organisation and occasional invitation events at one off special regattas.

Most Rowers do not privately own thier boats. This is a big difference. Those tht do often perhaps have the means to have the boat professionally maintained, as the competitive life of modern racing boats is not disimilar to that of a modern 470. The cost of a wooden boat now far exeeds that of a plastic boat, and most clubs either have a professional boatman or put repairs to tender.

There are exceptions. This in my experience is mainly in the Classic "Posh Henley" Skiffs, and those of us who own older classic wooden singles.

These are boats with construction issues very much the same as our classic boats. I think an occasional diversion on the Boat repair and restoration section would be a harmless and interesting way of maintaining diversity. I don't think for a moment the racing side of the CVRDA would be affected.
Michael Brigg
FDGorilla

Post by FDGorilla »

Thanks Guys.

Don't want to hijack the thread so message me if you think of something - comments about skill level noted. I've rowed 4s (coastal and river) and 8s but never a scull of any breed, it's been a few years, it'd be on the Hamble and I'm now way over 100kg! The coastal sounds interesting though....

J
I may not be very clever but I can lift heavy things

Finn GBR75
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi fdgorilla, if you do rebuild an viii and bring it to an event to show us what you have achieved, I would love the chance to crew, I have not rowed for ages, I am sure others would like the opportunity.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

The mind boggles..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've never rowed one of these long, thin boats. I assume it is a little different to rowing a Mirror Dinghy?! A bit like sailing a Flying Dutchman is different to sailing a Mirror, maybe?
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

8 unpractised crew
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Concept 2 but I never got anywhere with it :? .
Adamastor

Post by Adamastor »

I'm obviously a little removed from the politics of the CVRDA, but I can't see why we can't lend our "Hive Mind" to the problem of restoring ANYTHING without an engine, just to prove that we are all open minded folks at heart!
IMHO, as one who learnt to row #3 in 56' of ancient Aylings plywood, the task of rigidising a floppy old 8 may prove impossible, as the stringers end up like floppy spaghetti. Our old "Helikon" could have one oar catching a crab with the rest of the other side unable to feel it, she was so floppy...
But maybe the Techniques section would be able to admit occasional fripperies like this? I mean I would possibly turn a blind eye to, say, some poor soul looking for advice about varnishing a Riva... On condition I get a ride!
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Adamastor, I do not think their is any politics involved within cvrda it is a dinghy forum, and as such most people needing advice about dinghies would search Google and be directed to several forums offering advice including cvrda, but if someone messaged for fibreglass help for a Reliant robin I should think you would be given advice, but I do not think they would want you to sail it at an event. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

One for those with a rowing interest.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Racing-rowing ... 25710a617a
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

nice, but can't see how a clinker eight is going to fetch £1000....

Used to be tons of them about, college bumps were full of them, but now there is next to no interest in them at all...

pity really.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
trebor

Post by trebor »

imagine rubbing it all down and then varnishing it every couple of years plus oars
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia