Fireball Spinnaker & Pole

Post your requirements here
AndyV

Fireball Spinnaker & Pole

Post by AndyV »

Does anyone out there have a fireball kite and/or kite pole they would be willing to sell?

In terms of the kite, I'm new to Fireballing so I'm not looking for anything too good—in fact I imagine that if I had a decent one it would probably be knackered after a season of getting used to it. My boat has a chute, so ideally I'm after one that already has a patch for the retrieval line (I know it's possible to convert them, but I'm not entirely sure it would be worth it...).

For the pole, the sole criterion is 'working'.

If anyone has anything, shout up with the details.

Cheers

Andy
roger

Re: Fireball Spinnaker & Pole

Post by roger »

Andy,

Usual places are ebay and the Uk fireball association. One thing about the furballers is they are a friendly bunch and normally more than willing to help.

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
whacko!
Location: Emsworth, Hants; usually sail in Chichester Harbour

Post by whacko! »

Hi Andy,

E-Bay is definitely your best bet. The ads on the UKFA website are invariably for newer kit: spinnakers without downhaul patches, carbon-wrapped poles etc.

Spinnakers with downhaul patches may have one, two or three patches. If the mouth of your spinnaker chute is small (the very oldest - say 1970-75 - ones were) then you will be better off with a single patch but you will also need a 'sock' in your boat to hold the stowed spinnaker. Otherwise two patches will work well and the spinnaker will stow entirely within the chute. Three patches are great for fast hoisting/dropping but bring a good deal more friction into the system.

Good luck!

Chris Turner
Fireballs 6, 66 & 14463
AndyV

Post by AndyV »

Hi all,

It was a bit of a long shot, but I'm always amazed that whenever you ask a random group of sailors about various bits a surprising number seem to have kit for boats they haven't actually owned in about 25 years. :lol:

There's been some kit on eBay of late so I'll keep hunting—although I admit that I'm not a massive fan of it as a forum for buying things (primarily because I always seem to be outbid in the final seconds by someone who doesn't have anything better to do at 2:37 on a Tuesday afternoon...) :roll:

Chris,

Roughly how small would a "small" mouthed spinnaker chute be? My boat is from 1979, but it seems to be based on slightly earlier design principles (has/had deck mounted jib sheeting) so I probably ought to have a measure.

While we're on the subject of Fireball kites, do you have any opinions on using pump-up systems with chutes? The idea appeals primarily because I've never sailed with a symmetrical spinnaker before, and (as helm) the pump-up system seems like it would be easier to learn with. I have the gear to build the system (minus the pump-cleat, which is about £20) and I'd be quite happy to spend the money to not spend my Sundays trying to steer down waves with the tiller between my knees....

Andy
whacko!

Post by whacko! »

Hi Andy,

By 1979 new boats with chutes/deck-mounted jib sheeting were definitely in the minority. The good news, though, is that your chute will be of the larger variety so all options re number of spinnaker patches are open to you.

I wouldn't advise a pump system as there's a lot of friction involved in hoisting a spinnaker out of a chute and no benefit will be gained. What would be useful is a triangular cover for the chute mouth that will keep the worst of the waves from disappearing down the chute when sailing upwind. It used to be thought that a wet spinnaker and trapped water in the chute could weigh around 50 lbs - and you really don't want that in the front of your boat!

The short edge of the cover is permanently fixed to the bow in front of the chute and the long edge (not the hypotenuse (sp?) if you get my drift) runs down the gunwhale and is tensioned by elastic that is secured under the gunwhale. Some people used to have a little system whereby the cover could be withdrawn (by the crew pulling on a piece of string) when the spinnaker was hoisted/dropped and then released back into position once the kite was flying/stowed. I didn't bother though.

Chris
whacko!

Post by whacko! »

Hi Andy,

Having steered you away from the UKFA website for a spinnaker with a downhaul patch, sods law cuts in and one is now advertised for sale! It is very lightly used and is priced to reflect that so might not be quite what you're after.

I know the seller, though, so I'm sure the sail will be as good as described.

Chris