Am I being lazy or??

share hints, tips and experiences
JimC

Am I being lazy or??

Post by JimC »

Thoughts folks...
sorting out the strings on a new acquisition. What fittings there were were all set up to the side decks, which doesn't appeal to me: I like a central console, so I've just made up something crude and screwed it in where the centre jammer attached, my preference being for off the boom sheeting and a bridle.
OK, all well and good so far. Conventionally one would run the lines down the back of the bulkhead to the floor, and have turning blocks there to run the lines back to the console. Thing is though there has never been any fitting down there, and there isn't access to the back of the bulkhead to bolt through, so it would mean tunnelling through the little rib there as an anchor point, which I'm not altogther comfortable with. So I thought, well, supposing I ran the control lines diagonally from the base of the mast back to the console, the way I've run the end of the halyard and my temp kicker in the shot. What do people think? Will that be a nuisance or look very odd running the lines through mid air like that?
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Am I being lazy or??

Post by Ed »

Not in the slightest.

I can think of no reason why that wouldn't work fine.....as long as you don't need to get up there too often. but even if you do, I reckon there will be room.

so looks fine to me....but then I am not a mothy....so interested to hear what they say.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I had the Lightning set up almost exactly like that, except I had the problem that my cleats were on the thwart, so tricky to get at. Because of that I moved the cleats to the foredeck, but carried the ropes on back in a similar way. They will get in the way in light winds, though - I had to sit a long way forwards in my Skol to get the back end out. Interesting that you don't have the raise "crew" deck in the Mk3.
Rupert
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

I would say keep it as clear as possible, sailing upwind you will be sitting fairly far forward and if is a tippy boat you will sometimes be needing to dive through that gap to keep her upright, however. that is based on my exprience of mothing which possibly dosen't bear much resemblance to your boat.. if you think you can survive without the gap and it dosen't compromise on the controls function go for it. you can always change it later.
cheers. dan.
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

I would agree with keeping the front end clear. In light airs its best to concentrate your weight around the daggerboard case or even further forward, so need room to move.
How about a couple of these Ronstan swivel cleats on the centre of the bulkhead with the tail end of the control line kept within reach by thin elastic[urlhttp://www.ronstan.com/marine/product.asp?ProdNo=RF5][/url]
JimC

Post by JimC »

bornagainmothie wrote:How about a couple of these Ronstan swivel cleats on the centre of the bulkhead
Not possible. The centre of the bulkhead (and area round the mast step) is inaccessible on the inside because there's a big lump of foam reserve buoyancy there. In spite of the hatch there's no access to within about 4 inches of the centre line and beyond. Don't forget the mast on the Skol is way further forward than on a later boat.
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Jim, I also decided on a centre control console, one of the ideas I thought of was to run downhaul and outhaul through reinforced petrol hose similar to bike cables, but the simple fairlead at bottom of mast is working so far ( check photos on my website ), if the bike cable type solution works, you would just make the outer the same length as distance down front bulkhead and across the deck to your control console, the ends of hose would need to be fixed some how, then the outer would naturally hang down bulkhead and across the deck with no need for fixings, other than near mast base and control console. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk