magnum 6 info

an area to discuss dinghy developments
ptostu

magnum 6 info

Post by ptostu »

hello all i have been told to check you guys out regarding info on int moths as the old stuff on the int moth web site has vanished and thay seem to have for got the low riders in this new age ,i sail a magnum 6 which has been dry for 21/2 years up until a month ago the sail and hull numbers match ,i belive it is a claridge boat and it was built around 87 ish the number is k3909 if anybody has any info it would be apreciated
regards stuart
Decending into insanity or is it an addiction

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
Spiderman

Re: magnum 6 info

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Stu,
Yes your boat is definitely a Magnum 6 built by John Claridge in 1986 or 1987 and registered in 1987 which is why it has quite a high number for a Magnum 6. 3908 was Clive Everest's Magnum 8 and 3911 was Melvyn Cooper's Magnum 8 so yours was probably one of the last 6's built. I don't know who the original owner was, but I can tell you that in 1993 it was owned by Shaun Anderson who sailed it in the Worlds at Highcliffe that year coming 53rd out of 74. By this time the 6 had been superceded by the narrow boats such as the winning Magnum 9.5 and second placed Aussie Axeman so to finish ahead of many of the newer designs including Nick Spence in a Skippy was not a bad effort considering.
I don't think that Shaun kept the boat all that long and may have sold it to his brother who sailed up North somewhere. After that no idea I'm afraid.
I still have a Magnum 6 (K3887) which was built in 1985 as well as a few other moths so if you have any further questions please feel free to ask and I will try to provide some helpful answers.

Regards

Ian M
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Thanks Ian , have you got any info on any of the magnum 7 as mate of mine has one but can't find a hull number and has several sail numbers
Thanks stu

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

we definitely need to get a low rider fest organised. I keep forgetting if mine is a 5 or a 6? Either way it's coming home from Hertford this weekend and probably going to Clywedog if others are. I could take two if anyone is keen to borrow/try out. The other one would be the 60s classic moth.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

I posted on clywedog last night do you have to be cvrda members for that event ,if not you might get a 6 and 7 down for a play ,only just back in mine after a 2 year lay off raced at my club Sunday and still feel it in my legs now ,I am just chasing a carbon mast for it ,we also have a lad who.has just brought a magnum 3

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I am probably taking my magnum to Clywedog. If we were to hold an event at Hunts the same membership stuff would apply ie it's nice if you do contribute, but not essential.

I think we need a knowledgeable Wing Commander for the moths. Any volunteers?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

her indoors has just said if we want to attract the moths we just put a big lamp in the middle of the lake....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

ptostu wrote:Thanks Ian , have you got any info on any of the magnum 7 as mate of mine has one but can't find a hull number and has several sail numbers
Thanks stu
Hi Stu,
There weren't all that many Magnum 7s built as they were designed to carry a bit more weight and had a bit more rocker than the 5 and 6. They went very well in light weather and were slightly quicker through tacks, but ultimately were not as fast as the 6 so the 8 went the other way with even less rocker and narrower "U" sections throughout which proved to be the way forward and led to the progressively narrower hulls towards the end of the lowrider era.
The first one was 3882 which was John Claridges "Magnificent Seven" and other 7s were numbers 3891, 3894, 3896, 3897, 3900 and possibly 3905.
There may have been a couple more, but my limited records only have the numbers listed above.
Ian Ridge built several Aero designs which were very similar to the 7, but used a different construction method to the Claridge boats. Hope this helps.

Ian M
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Hi Ian

I'm the owner of the Magnum7 Stu is refering to. I've had it about 5-6 years now but never found its proper identity. Your records confirm the research I did then which amounted to 7x7s in the class records. I transfered a lot of the paper records to a spreadsheet at the time so may be the same info. Unfortunately my boat doesn't have a sail number carved or drilled into the hull at the rear where it should be (or anywhere else) and the sail supplied was from a magnum5. I asked on the IMCA forums but no-one was able to identify it further. I know its not JCs Magnificent 7 because that was rigged with a wing mast and adjustable shroud levers, mine is more like the Mag6 layout.
My boat came from Plymouth where it had been stored on a garage roof for some time so was in a poor state, but to me was worth saving because of the rarity of 7s and its light wind abilities which suit our sailing on a small pond.
As I remember from my days as a young mothie the 7 was designed for a championships on a Swiss lake where light shifty winds were expected, hence the large rocker and more buoyant mid sections to help quick tacking. It certainly works on a pond in light airs where its impossible to sail a narrow moth, but is ultimately not as quick as a 6 or 8 on open water in any breeze. It can be a real handful downwind in a blow!

I'm pleased to see such a lot of interest in old Moths on this forum, I thought Stu and I were the only ones actively sailing wide boats because of our local conditions, but there seems to be more and more coming out of retirement. Look forward to meeting you all soon.

Hoping to join in the fun at Clywedog.

Lyndon
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

lyndon with referace to the thought we are the only 2 dont you mean 1 sailing and one trying to sail or sinki :D lol ,hopefully i have found and cured my leak and can spend more time in my boat and sort some of my down wind problems lol
stu

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825