Holt Tideway race

Chat about CVRDA events
chris

Holt Tideway race

Post by chris »

Just checked the Ranelagh Sailing club site.
The date is sunday 7th October. The start is aimed at 12.15 but might be adjusted according to river levels and tides on the day. (so we get under the bridges). Not much info yet but this will be for Holt designed boats so could represent quite a range of boats and speeds which will be fun for the organisers. I was told that the PLA won't let them go as far this time and the turn will be at Chelsea reach. It will start from Putney. ( they used to go to the Tower, and there's a great Pathe news real if you search)

This tideway race doesn't happen often and I'm sure all those who did the Merlin anniversary one some years ago will heartily recommend it.
Vagabond61

Re: Holt Tideway race

Post by Vagabond61 »

Magda and I would love to attend with Vagabond 61. Let us know the detail nearer the time.
Nick

Jack Holt Vagabond 61 (FOR SALE)
Merlin Rocket 2919 Hornblower (FOR SALE)
OK 1745 (FOR SALE)
Contender (Sail Number Unknown??)
chris

Post by chris »

davidh

Post by davidh »

Chris.....stop it, this is just teasing!

I've never done the Tideway but would love to give it a go in the 'right' boat! if it can't be Spriteful then a Lazy-E or even a jacksnipe (Roger, if the gent who was coming to Wraysbury is still 'hors du combat' would he let his boat be sailed).

If not...in no particulat order...Cavalier, Corinthian, Canoe, Holt 14.... damnit, if alll else fails, a hornet!

D
David H
chris

Post by chris »

I'm sure we can find a mirror for you, David....at least no chance of getting stuck under a bridge!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Would a Mirror be fast enough to make it before the tide changes?
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

No no no...don't do it to me, i will repent all my sins but not a Mirror on the Thames, I've not been THAT bad (though thinks - it could be worser, it could be a proctor event and i'd have to find excuses NOT to sail an Osprey!

being serious for a moment, I see the Tideway as a great opportunity for some 'promotional' work for Holt and the CVRDA. By the way, I'm now writing for 'All at Sea' - the freebie newspaper that you get in Chandlers and the like: There has been a change at the top and All at Sea is turning into a well informed, thoughtful read with a healthy percentage of dinghy related material. Next month will carry an illustrated full page spread on Jack Holt, if someone can send me a couple of nice 'all inclusive' pics from Wraysbury i'll ensure that the CVRDA gets a plug!

I think Nick (Price) is still in the chair at Ranelagh so I could feature the club too on the 'then and now' page.... (plus, if anyone has any brill ideas for historic stories, let me know!)

Just don't say the m**or word again - I'm too young to do that!

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

No no no...don't do it to me, i will repent all my sins but not a Mirror on the Thames, I've not been THAT bad (though thinks - it could be worser, it could be a proctor event and i'd have to find excuses NOT to sail an Osprey!

being serious for a moment, I see the Tideway as a great opportunity for some 'promotional' work for Holt and the CVRDA. By the way, I'm now writing for 'All at Sea' - the freebie newspaper that you get in Chandlers and the like: There has been a change at the top and All at Sea is turning into a well informed, thoughtful read with a healthy percentage of dinghy related material. Next month will carry an illustrated full page spread on Jack Holt, if someone can send me a couple of nice 'all inclusive' pics from Wraysbury i'll ensure that the CVRDA gets a plug!

I think Nick (Price) is still in the chair at Ranelagh so I could feature the club too on the 'then and now' page.... (plus, if anyone has any brill ideas for historic stories, let me know!)

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

Me thinks he doth protest to much...... three times in fact.

Mirror it is then.

I asked Mervyn about the Mirror and he said it wouldnt be a problem.

Dougal I will contact the owner of the Jacksnipe and see if he is interested.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Rats - just checked and it clashes with us taking all the juniors down to Weymouth for a weekend of sea sailing...
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Well just booked Kaye to crew for me in this. Last time was such a blast. Must be my favourite event ever. Tacking back upwind through all the bridges.
Who else is going.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
moggy

Post by moggy »

So how far (please remember I'm a Welshman who gets a nose bleed past Birmingham) are they likely to sail??

I take it that its an open event???

and a old single number GP14 that hasn't actually been sailed this year might look quite nice???

just need to clear it with SWMBO and then book the monday off work!
GP14 - 7
GP14 -ex 23
GP14 - 13796

Enterprise - 20059
roger

Post by roger »

Last time it was from Putney to Westminster and back. A couple of hours sailing. I understand that its not quite as far this time. As far as I remember the main requirement is that you carry a paddle and an anchor.

As soon as I hear more I will let you know.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Secret Water (Merlin 111) with cotton sails and wooden mast is hoping to be there. Gannet doesn't qualify - Wyche and Coppock designed.