HOLT CENTENNIAL CELEBRATIONS

Chat about CVRDA events
Max McCarthy

Re: HOLT CENTENNIAL CELEBRATIONS

Post by Max McCarthy »

I had a great time, thanks to all the people who organised it, especially Roger, Wraysbury lake sailing club, and of course everyone turning up to sail. I really enjoyed the racing, the sail by, and getting out on the plank, which is something I have never done before, but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I have also now discovered that the hornet is a lovely boat to sail, and feels very smooth through the water, again thanks goes to Roger, for letting me crew on his boat, and it was a great experience.

On a side note, we got back pretty quickly on Sunday, despite the traffic we got into, but we got back around 6ish, so it was a pretty quick journey. And it was well worth all the travelling I made my mum do to get me there and back!

Thanks again,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Well, I know Jonathan (crewing for mikey) had a great time and was really excited at sailing so many historic boats. Now we just need to find him a crew for his 420 so he can come to Clywedog and he'll be a full cvrda convert (though I think he was already!)

Well done to all, especially Roger.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Chris....

do you know the dates yet for the Tideway Race (and who is organising it?). Will you be sailing Iska and if so, has anyone beaten me to it in the list of people asking if they could sail Spriteful? (or Gently...... what is the quoted reply? You've 2 chances and the first is no *****ing chance, the second is less printable!).

Great to see you all - thanks for a lovely evening

Dougal
David H
roger

Post by roger »

davidh wrote:Chris....

do you know the dates yet for the Tideway Race (and who is organising it?). Will you be sailing Iska and if so, has anyone beaten me to it in the list of people asking if they could sail Spriteful? (or Gently...... what is the quoted reply? You've 2 chances and the first is no *****ing chance, the second is less printable!).

Great to see you all - thanks for a lovely evening

Dougal
Dougal, get to the back of the queue. I know Dawn was very taken with Spriteful, so is another of her fans and that was before her outstanding performance in the persuit showing just what a quick boat she is. Given a kite I think she would have won.

Thank you all for your kind comments but in all honesty it really was a team effort and I didnt thank Pat for doing the recording etc or Angie. Also Rupert who wasnt able to attend but listened to me worry and wrote all those previews.
It really was a team effort and my thanks go to all of you for turning up and making it such a good day.
Andy Dale who won on Saturday has already contacted me to thank the team.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Post by chris »

I know Lois wants to do the tideway in Spritefull this time rather than Iska, So she gets first place there. I will try and sort the leak out in Iska so that could be a possibility for someone.
Gently still needs quite a bit of work as, apart from the top to varnish we used all of Iska's rig, rudder and some other bits at the weekend. I need to do some money making proper-job work before I can spent more boaty time but The tideway isn't till October (7,8,or 9, I can't remember) so there is time to get things sorted. I also have Kate's centreboard to repair so Mervyn's Kate is also out of action at the moment. He may well want to sail Gently.
The Tideway is going to be for all Holt Designs. Mervyn is involved and Ranelagh is organising it so there are some details - at least the correct date - on the RSC site.

Chris
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

I must add to the chorus of thanks due to Roger, Chris and everyone at Wraysbury who made for such a successfull weekend. If only we could have enjoyed Sunday afternoon's weather over both days it would have been almost perfect (and I would be suffering from sunburn).

Now, who has a Holt boat I could play with for the Tideway event event in October? All those Enterprises and Solos in the boat park looked like they need more time on the water!
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Pat

Post by Pat »

A few years back Roger gave us the Radox award for constantly bathing together (capsizing). This time he loaned us a bathtub that soaked up so much water we couldn't get her up the slipway for ages! The air must have been blue as we vainly tried to point in the general direction of a mark but we got around.
Thanks Roger and thanks Wraysbury for going the extra mile. As Ed said, there's a club with the right attitude!

If anyone has any good photos for the website they can email them to me via button below or forum messages
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Toby Dale has some photos on facebook! Under his 50N thingy.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 982&type=1
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Pat

Post by Pat »

My first picyures of the re-launch of Gently are here http://cvrda.org/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=57

Now to sort through the other 80 from the weekend!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Vagabond61

Post by Vagabond61 »

A few photos of the weekend at Wraysbury.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjAzSHjG
Nick

Jack Holt Vagabond 61 (FOR SALE)
Merlin Rocket 2919 Hornblower (FOR SALE)
OK 1745 (FOR SALE)
Contender (Sail Number Unknown??)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/1 ... sbury-Lake

Roger D's write-up of the event. An excellent read.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Now that the (damp) dust has settled I would like to take this opportunity to thank the team that helped me put it together.

Chris Barlow for his unending support when I thought it wasnt going to happen back around Christmas.

Rupert for putting out loads of press reports and listening to me worry.

Martin for chasing sponsers and researching the classes and doing the commentary during the sail past.

Pat and Sandy for emailing out to all the classes, sorting out the results and handicaps, and general logistics and lending me thier double trailer,

Peter Barnes for chasing sponsers and generally being very supportive.

Of course there were others including Ed, and David H but most of all Angie as she had to put up with my grumpiness after nights worrying.

I am sure there were loads of others who did their bit and I thank you to.

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Vagabond61

Post by Vagabond61 »

I'm sure that everyone that attended will join me in appreciation of all your hard work and effort in making it a weekend to remember. And thanks too to all those people that helped in making it possible.

Although we had a "soggy" weekend, Magda and I now have the bug and will be attending more events in the future. If there is anything that we can do to assist in arranging them then please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks again and we'll see you soon.
Nick

Jack Holt Vagabond 61 (FOR SALE)
Merlin Rocket 2919 Hornblower (FOR SALE)
OK 1745 (FOR SALE)
Contender (Sail Number Unknown??)
roger

Post by roger »

Just had a message from Lesley at wraysbury.#

I have one pair of boots, a red spray top & a green fleecy type top left over from the Jack Holt weekend all from the Gents changing room – anyone lost anything?

Please contact me and we will see if we can find a way of returning articles.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353