magnum 8 info

an area to discuss dinghy developments
ptostu

magnum 8 info

Post by ptostu »

Hello all I am after info again as I'm now the owner of a magnum 8 matching numbers sail and hull of k 3920 any info anybody
Thanks Stuart
Decending into insanity or is it an addiction

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
neil
Site Admin

Re: magnum 8 info

Post by neil »

It looks like there's some Magnum discussion on the Moth Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/414307376222/
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Roger Angell had K-3920 from new, I have some photos of it at Lymington but I can't remember what year - it was red with varnished deck; I think it was one of the first two built.

Paul

Bootscooter
Location: Oxfordshire or Lincolnshire (depending on if I can get a weekend off)

Post by Bootscooter »

Nice one Stuart - I take it you found it as I described?
Nice project, but I just didn't have the time...
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Thanks Paul any more info of any one would be good or pictures ,I'm of to do a bit of garage clearance to make room for it looks like the mini will.be getting evicted ,bootscooter its not to bad the worst bit is the hole in the hull foredeck seems good and the deck just needs some tlc but to put it back as it was might take a bit of work hmm full resto of repair and sail what to do
Stu

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Well it seems to be gaining interest I have been contacted by previous owners and also roger angell ,and it seems it was one of the best 8,s built bonus

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

my experience says just do what you have to do then sail it. soemthing else will then break, so you repair it, then sail it, soemthing else will then break ....not worth doing the full restoration..
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Nessa wrote:my experience says just do what you have to do then sail it. soemthing else will then break, so you repair it, then sail it, soemthing else will then break ....not worth doing the full restoration..
nessa isnt that what moth sailing is about or comes hand in hand you sail it, you break it, you fix it, i enjoy working on wooden boats i find it a bit therapeutic and when done i like the feeling of i have done that ,it might well end up being completly striped of the 6 layers of paint that are on the hull so i can see what it is hiding ..

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

I found my other pics of Prime-8 at Lymington in 1989.

Paul

ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Thanks Paul now I know its been messed with the mast is different and the boom position has been altered I thought it looked a bit bodged
Stu

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

personally i think it is well worth doing a restoration, if the hull isnt too soggy it probably wouldn't take that much to make a reasonable job of it, the boat is of historic significance within the class being a nats winner, and if we don't save them they will all just rot away and we will lose these examples of new ground being broken,
look over the hull, and see if you can find any soft bits, these are likely to be symptoms of long term damp, mine was only 1.5 mm ply and came away in great chunks when i started to explore, hopefully if yours is sound you will ge away with minimal repairs.
what i have done with mine is to strengthen all the areas that are likely to break , as it is no longer competitive i think a little more weight can be tolerated, and i now sail several times every week in all sorts of winds without any problems at all,
I wish you good luck, and when you get to sail it I hope you have as much fun as i'm having in mine.
cheers. Dan.
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

After getting rid of 6 layers of paint I'm back to the original it needs one repair at the back where water was left to lie in it a couple.of miner repairs to some.splits in the hull its going back to bare wood and then a skin of 80g ultra fine weave cloth for strength and then a nice reprint I 2k paint and its original name put back on and then to sort the rig out ,I enjoyed doing my magnum 6 and enjoy using now that's done will have to work out how to post pics
Stu

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

I skinned mine with carbon/kevlar, vacuum bagged on, the kevlar was a pig to work with but it has resulted in a bomb proof hull, and i reckon it added less than a kilo,
glad you are doing it properly, it will be a great boat.
you could do it with carbon and it would be easier to sand.
I will be seeing Roger this coming week and will point him in the direction of this thread.. and also see if he has any more photos of the boat as was.
cheers. Dan.
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Yea I have been I contact with roger about I have asked if he has any more pics
Stu

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825