Insurance question

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
RonnyDG

Insurance question

Post by RonnyDG »

Following is about insurance so I thought "banter" was a good category choose.

I would like to attend the Nationals 2012 (with a wooden Minisail) but there is a detail that I would like to sort out. 
There is a clause that states: "You will need to sign to say you have 3rd party boat insurance to the value of £3,000,000." 
I have consulted my insurance representative explaining the plan and he told me I was covered for that by means of my civil responsibility insurance. That is a literal translation from Dutch: verzekering burgerlijke verantwoordelijkheid or French: assurance de responsabilité civile (in case an other Belgian would read). 
Could it be something similar exists in the UK under the name Civil Liability Insurance? 
It's the kind of insurance that most families here have to cover damage caused unintentionally. Recreational sports activities are included. 

In money that insurance would cover by far the £3,000,000, only the clause specifically states "boat insurance". A Civil Liability Insurance is general, not specifically boat.

Am I to prudent or is this an issue?

Greetings,
Ronny
Greetings,
Ronny
Rupert

Re: Insurance question

Post by Rupert »

I'm not aware of such a thing over here. Events are pretty clear that you need 3rd party insurance specifically for the boat, which then generally covers you for sailing in UK waters and 30 days in Europe, or some such. I suppose if your general insurance covered you for that amount whilst in the UK, and the policy was clear on it, then it would count?

It is also possible to get week long cover or the like from some companies. It might be worth giving Noble Marine a call http://www.noblemarine.co.uk/ or GJW, http://gjwdirect.co.uk/, who are my new favorite, to see what they can do.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Hi Ronnie,

Yes, I have come across this before....and as far as I can tell we don't have it over here. I think this is a real pity as I wish we did and have often talked to Dutch friends about this. I would so love one insurance that covered my legal 3rd party obligations, whether I was skiing, cycling, sculling, sailing or whatever....It would be just brilliant, cheaper, but also so reassuring.

I have even talked to insurance brokers here.....but never got any interest or have anyone tell me about anything similar.

As for whether it covers you, when sailing your minisail.....that is down to the insurers and if they say they will cover you....then that should be good enough. Just make sure that they are aware that it is for sailing the minisail.....and in the UK....and with a limit of 3million and that should be enough. Maybe send them an email with those details and a presumption of cover and then the ball is in their court.

If you are talking to them.....do ask whether they would insure me with a 'civil liability insurance' to cover all sports? I would certainly be interested!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

3rd party cover up to £3.5million GBP (For me as householder.) is included across all spheres of activity anywhere, in my household cover from Legal & General, not the cheapest insurance I am sure but one should not buy insurance by price alone!
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

It's common practice for European sailors to have that sort of cover, and it's fine in that it provides for them damaging other boats. My understanding is that it back fires as cover for their own boats, as any third party cover does not provide for damage unless they can claim from the other party.

I now have a group policy for all my boats from Noble, wouldn't go anywhere else.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
trebor

Post by trebor »

my house insurance also covers any occupants of household for 3rd party claims for any legal activity, but not for any activity that you are paid to do, or are RACING.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
RonnyDG

Post by RonnyDG »

Thank you all for the insights.

I will get back to my insurance man with some questions like "could you give me that in writing please" and "what if I enter a competition?" and "Mr Bremmer would like one of these".
Will contact gjwdirect.co.uk as well.

Nessa you are right about the one way direction of the insurance. The idea behind the whole thing is that they will cover you if you mess up, but won't if you get damaged. They will however support you in the process of claiming.

I have only once had to rely on them and things went smoothly. Much to my surprise, I don't trust insurers much, or bankers.
As a toddler -many years ago- my son used the sides of a real car (doors wings, bonnet...) as a racing track for it's Matchbox car and by the looks of his efforts one with no wheels.
The whole incident (requiring repainting the car) took some paperwork and a few phone calls and we never heard about it again.

It's not a legal obligation over here, but generally regarded as common sense to have that insurance as an individual or as a family.

I'll come back here when I have some new answers from the insurance world.
Maybe not. Don't want to be a nominee of the most non-sailing related and boring topic of the year.

Greetings,
Ronny
Greetings,
Ronny