OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Re: Insect control.

Post by davidh »

Sadly Nessa, I'm still far too light on the subject of the Moth history, though I am working on this (albeit in the background whilst chasing other topics!!) Too light in knowledge and too heavy in stature; even if I can trim back down enough to allow me to sail the Contender in Italy next year I'd still be way overweight for a reasonable Moth mores the pity, for if I could sail one then I'd have the incentive to do the history too!

I thought Brooksey's original posting very funny, along with most of the other comments, though I hope that this doesn't reopen the interminable debate about 'accessibility'! As I look around the sailing scene seeking inspiration for articles, I do worry about the growing gulf that seems to be opening up between the 'competitive today' and the 'competitive only yesterday' boats. Contenders going epoxy, Phantoms FRP, ditto Solos, Parkers returning to fiveOs with a 'new' hull shape (pardon me but I thought that they were one design) and even boats such as the Streaker and Graduate getting a make over that hoiks them up the performance leagues.

I think the idea of a classics/lowrider meet is excellent - there is plenty of scope in the PY system to ensure that the later variants are not able to come in and swat away the older boats...I can also see this as being a 'media' opportunity as long as the organisers don't try to sport something with 3 months of an Olympic regatta - forget page space otherwise.

The other idea - just thinking aloud, would be an open weekend for classic singlehanders that would encompass Finns, Minisails, Moths, Harriers, OKs, Solos....could be fun!

Catch up soon - how is the wrist?

Dougal
David H
JimC

Post by JimC »

davidh wrote:Parkers returning to fiveOs with a 'new' hull shape (pardon me but I thought that they were one design)
Oh gosh, no, not really: the Five Ohs have always had rather loose tolerances on the hull shape for a one design with limited tweaking of the hull shape being encouraged... I'm astonished you're not aware of that... Whilst not wide enough limits to be a proper restricted classes, the tolerances have always been deliberately rather more than just allowance for building errors.
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I'm sure we could be persuaded to host a Classic Singlehanded Open at Roadford at some time in the future if there was enough interest.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Alan, Rupert will appreciate being recognised for the work he has done with the Minisails, but I think he will be embarrassed that you have said he has done it single handedly.
Hi Nessa, a friend of mine was stung in the corner of his eye, very nasty.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk