Int Moth Sail

Post your requirements here
JB9

Int Moth Sail

Post by JB9 »

My son could do with a sail to fit Moth 3848. Fully battened. Anything considered.

Thanks
Harrier 25
505 7163
JB9

Re: Int Moth Sail

Post by JB9 »

It looks as though the Solo sail may work, any thoughts?
Harrier 25
505 7163
JimC

Post by JimC »

JB9 wrote:It looks as though the Solo sail may work, any thoughts?
!! Its an extremely different shape... I wouldn't even consider it.

I'm looking at getting a new bolt rope Moth sail cut later in the year when I have a new spar for my boat sorted out. Suprisingly difficult to find someone who has cut a good bolt rope Moth sail in the recent past and is still happy to do it. Of the two obvious contenders one is semi retired and no longer has the space and the other isn't keen either. However if there are a bunch of people with old Moths who want decent rags it would perhaps be possible to organise a bulk order.
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Well, HD Sails are quoting £750.00.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

JimC wrote:Suprisingly difficult to find someone who has cut a good bolt rope Moth sail in the recent past and is still happy to do it. Of the two obvious contenders one is semi retired and no longer has the space and the other isn't keen either.
Hi Jim,
Out of interest who do you consider the 2 obvious contenders? Are you looking for a low aspect soft sail or high aspect fully battened option? I guess it depends whether or not you want to re-create what the boat would have had originally with a bit of licence for modern materials and techniques. A batch order might be the way forward, but I suspect that we will all have very different masts so some variation will be needed.

Regards

Ian M
JimC

Post by JimC »

Spiderman wrote:Out of interest who do you consider the 2 obvious contenders?
Caws and Sanders cut the vast majority in the UK until the far east built monofilm CI sails took over the class.
Moths have had the tall fully battened sails since at least the early 70s: I presume if you wanted a low aspect sail you'd go to a Europe Sailmaker.
And yes, if we wanted to do a bulk order everyone would need to measure up their mast offsets so the luff rounds could be cut individually, but the panel layout and curvature ought to be able to be standardised. But there does tend to be an element of herding cats about trying this sort of exercise. I for one would only consider a sailmaker I know and who has a good datum point.
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

My friend lyndon with a magnum 7 has just had a sail made by Andy at HD sails its very nice and would be a good person to ask about it I will mention this thread to him and see what he has to say
Decending into insanity or is it an addiction

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825