Introductions

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Rupert

Re: Introductions

Post by Rupert »

Marcus,

Congratulations! Even if it does mean dry land for a while...
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

chris wrote:Roger: when Holt designed the leader...was that when he changed his name to Mace or Pollard then?
ooops
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Phantomman wrote:Cheers guys,

Rupert there is absolutely no chance of much sailing for me, my wife is about to give birth to our second child anyday now, so unless I want world war four to happen then it's def off I'm afraid. Btw up rivers fleet is expanding we must have about 14 again. Aswell as two club boats.
Hi phantomman, congratulations, I wish you luck with your new (soon to be) child, and I am sure you will chare many happy memories together,

Regards,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Phantomman

Post by Phantomman »

Thanks everyone she gave birth to a boy last night weighing in at a healthy 10lb12oz named owen george ingram, both are well and now I'm off to bed
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

gosh that's a big baby! clearly set to be a phantom or finn sailor! Congratulations to all of you!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Congratulations!

You'll be fighting for your share of the pies in a few years...
Rupert
scorpion_1925

Post by scorpion_1925 »

hi, i just joined up. i have sailed many classic boats, and in our family is still the heron that my dad learnt to sail in, these days i sail a scorion and a streaker and have an international moth that is being refurbished. i am based up in york and sail at ripon sailing club. the scorpion travels round the open meetings each year. i love some of the interesting boats that were around once upon a time and firmly believe they should be saved.
Scorpion 1925
International moth magnum 8

Ford Capri
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Thought I'd add mine to here.

Hi I'm Luke,

I had never considered sailing until I set foot onto a yacht summer 2010. 4000 sea miles and a tansat later I was hooked.

When I left uni late 2011 I wanted to sail and decided to start dinghy racing. Bought a Merlin, decided its hard work and loved it.

Now own two Merlins

3146 Sledgehammer &
3296 Seventh Heaven

With a mirror on the way.

Joined the CVRDA last year and have loved every minute of classic boats sailing.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

Hi - Andrew, based near Lowestoft

Family moved to Hamble when I was 8, HRSC was in it's dinghy sailing prime and the Mirror was a brand new idea....crewed in a Hamble Star, Heron, RNSA dinghy, Merlins and National 12s plus the occasional ride in an Albacore..family bought an 8ft double skinned (almost round!) gunter rigged dinghy and basically lived on Hamble Hard until the age of 13 hanging around in the early days hoping someone's crew wouldn't turn up...I was (a long time ago!) a skinny kid so was of varying use. Mirrors came on to the scene and, by accident almost, became a junior fleet and I, aided by my younger brother, embarked on a bullying, cajoling, paper-rounding campaign to persuade the family to change coracular family tub for a Mirror. Success came monetarily but could not find a used boat (rare in those days) so father who was carpentarily-challenged nearly found himself driving our Mini Countryman to Narborough Road South to fetch a kit. Mercifully (for him and the finished quality of the boat) one appeared in the Echo the night before we set off. I spent two and a half hours hanging on to a ringing phone (you could in those days) to keep the chance of having first option and by the end of the evening Mirror 1688 was ours and was then sailed every available hour through the season. Hideously flat Jeckells sails couldn't afford to be replaced but I went well upwind and we learnt...that was the start! I genuinely believe that nobody could be happier than a dinghy-sailing kid in the mid sixties in Hamble and the addiction has sustained with large (work/family/poverty induced) gaps.

Was packed off to Merchant Navy School at 13 as sailing was deemed distracting(!) and spent entire summers sailing anything I could lay hands on...Naval cutters, MSODs (look it up!), Fife ODs, the very early Bourne plastic GPs (school had 6 to replace the M SODs..gap intentional) plus Hornet, TopTen, Rocket, Mirror (had it up on Menai Strait), Pegasus and many more. Big ships not for me but boating/watersports industry ever since for remuneration.

Discovered cars and families etc..got back in to sailing with a ropey old Enterprise that I redecked, re-rigged and the discarded for a beautiful Avacraft that I adored and was fast enough to compensate for some of my shortcomings...then family, business got in the way for a few years.

Eventually resurfaced buying a little yacht...fun but missed dinghies - bought a wooden Minisail, experienced redundancy for the first time, sold Minisail (Hi Gavin!) and now employed am looking again.

Have a penchant for Fairey hot moulded sixties designs ..would love a Jollyboat or a Swordfish but (as reiterated on the main forum) have always lusted after the Unit...should anyone know of another other than 2-7 I'm prepared to drive anywhere and take on a project....I love the Duckling and Fireflies but sadly the skinny youth (still encased inside) has morphed in to somewhat bigger a frame.

Found CVRDA very late in the day, have found the forums fascinating, the members friendly and the knowledge encyclopaedic....look forward to more active participation in the future:-)

Andrew
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks Andrew - an excellent bio!
Rupert
kfz

Post by kfz »

HI Andrew!, Welcome!

Waiting to see the training Bourne GP, light blue probably, in there and sure enough it is!!!

Best regards

Kev
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Hi, I’m John, a 65 year old PhD student (don’t ask).

My father was principal of a small FE college in the north and ran boatbuilding classes on Saturdays, led by a local village joiner, wheelwright and undertaker…

Over the years the classes built many canvas covered canoes, Mirrors, Herons, Enterprises, Fireballs, Moths and half an Osprey.

He built me a canoe when I was 9ish, and with several other Dads, took their kids to canoe down the Ure from Wensley to Ripon every summer.

Then he built a Heron, which we sailed on the Ouse at York, on the sea at Atwick and on Hornsea Mere. That was replaced by Enterprise 9104 (called Elextoo as it was built in 1962 – he was a bit of a Classicist), which we sailed at Hornsea and raced at Filey, with a school friend who was deaf in one ear, which made sailing on port interesting. I also crewed and helmed a couple of Swordfish on the Mere, where a few still sail.

Then he started on an Osprey, but the Enterprise and the half built Osprey were sold when I went off to art college.

Some 30 years later I took my daughter to Hornsea Mere and hired an old Albacore a couple of times, which meant I caught the bug again.

When I was 50 my family clubbed together and gave me a “Get yourself a dinghy voucher”, and I very shortly became the proud owner of a Proctor VIII N12. This was followed by a Northern Light Merlin Rocket (which was real dog), and a 4 plank China Doll.

Then the friend whose coachhouse I borrowed to work on the boats turned it into a holiday cottage, leaving me with nowhere to maintain wooden boats, so I acquired a Baker Lark (512), which went very floppy (worrying to feel the floor move under your feet as you tack), and has recently been replaced with a Parker 2 Lark (2138), bought as a hull, mast and a random box of bits for £75 on eBay, and completed by cannibalising the Baker.

In my spare time I built the original DinghyDatabase, which I donated to the CVRDA a couple of years ago.
owen cambridge

Post by owen cambridge »

Hello everyone. I am frequent visitor but never post anything, but after spending a happy half hour reading all your introductions I thought perhaps I should offer mine.
I left school at 11. I soon discovered the only place the police wouldnt come and try and find me and return me to school was the docks; after some time the skipper of a Thames sailing barge told me I might as well "earn a fiver burning off the decks as sit there all day" pretty soon I was a deckhand and learnt to sail when the skipper told me to hold the wheel (under full sail) whilst he went down below to get something. He fell asleep and didnt re-appear for two hours, by which time I pretty much had the knack of it. After that I worked on all manner of tall ships till I was 21 then gave up the sea.
Now at the age of 44 I am the Archaeological Officer for the Isle of Wight ( dont ask) and have a lovely wife and two little kids who I adore. I want them to get the same simple pleasure of messing about in boats that I did -and was lucky enough to be given a Tideway rowing dinghy from the CVRDA forum which I have spent the last three years restoring (with help from you guys and especially Neil) I have also aquired an extremely distressed Durafloat dinghy (remember them? ) which was on its way to the dump. Possibly one of the ugliest boats ever made but I felt sorry for it and anyway they all deserve a chance - it is my next project.
I remain a terrible sailor ( I still cant swim) but now I find I enjoy the restoration proccess hugely. You guys have all inspired me to keep going with your good humour and knowledge, so thanks!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Owen - good intro!
Rupert
simonmw

Post by simonmw »

I have been registered on the forum for quite a while, but only started actively using it recently, so thought I might add my tuppence worth!

I'm Simon, age 32, based on the east coast and sail from Walton-on-Naze in Essex.

Currently for my day (and night!) job I am a Coastguard watch officer, but prior to this have been in the marine industry for my entire working life. I started off when I left school at 16, working for the builders of the Challenger trimaran and customising the control layouts of the boats to suit sailors of differing disabilities. From there I went to work as an apprentice in the rigging department of a big boatyard, moving up to department supervisor- then went on to run my own yacht rigging business for the last 8 years. I recently decided to close the business down and become a Coastguard because it was running me, rather than the other way round, and just wasn't fun any more...

My dubious claim to sailing fame- I was the youngest person ever to pass a Yachtmaster exam, and the cause of the 18-year lower age limit which now stands- apparently the RYA didn't like it much.

My boat history has been quite varied, and included a few big boats as well as dinghies- most notably a 40' IOR one tonner which I bought and rebuilt when I was 19, before living aboard for a few years- then subsequently completed a major rebuild on a Kelsall Typhoon trimaran, including doing some design mods of my own- there are some pics of some of my past projects at picasaweb.google.com/monstersailing413 - but for the purposes of this post I will stick to detailing the dinghies I have owned, probably in the order I remember them rather than the order they appeared in my life, which may well be different...

Previously owned:
(GRP) Topper 36 (I believe one of the original batch of 75)
Mirror 61408
Int Moth K3655 - Unknown design (if anyone has record of this sail number I would love to know what it was!)
ToY 37
ToY 216
Soling K48
Challenger Trimaran GBR98 (modified with foot pedal steering, rudder on gantry)
Contender GBR449
Contender GBR482
Int 14 K1241 (penultimate)
IC GBR219 - One of my favourite boats ever, owned for 7 years before moving on!
Merlin Rocket 3340 NSM3 (only a minority share...)
Merlin Rocket 3477 Canterbury Tales (actually not sure what the arrangement with ownership of this one was!)
Etchells GBR806

Additionally, I recently assisted with building/fitting out, and sail in, Merlin 3750 'No Pasaran' which is the latest boat to be built to Keith Callaghan's new 'Hazardous 09L' design and brand new about 4 weeks ago. I have also been closely involved with the building and fitting out of the new BlueMotion 550 Callaghan designed dayboat which was launched at the dinghy show earlier this year- the rig is my handiwork!

Last year I fulfilled a boyhood dream by buying John Claridge's 'Tiger Moth', which I fully intend to still own when I am far too old to sail any more...
And yesterday I bought Int Moth GBR3936 (Gentleman Jim)
Also I currently have MR3521, which is shortly going to be for sale.

So that's pretty rambling. But that's me. Hello!
Current custodian of-
Micro 18
Tiger Moth
'Gentleman Jim' Moth GBR3936
'Dragon' Moth GBR3848
Merlin Rocket 3521
Buell XB12R Firebolt
Landrover 110 Defender
And a big shed to keep them in...