Newbie needs help to choose a single hander.

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
phil58490

Newbie needs help to choose a single hander.

Post by phil58490 »

Hi all,
I intend to return to the dinghy sailing world and need some help and advice as to which class of boat to seek out.

I am 6'2'' and have a sailing weight of about 90kgs (14 stone). Reasonably fit and agile but slowing down with age.

I learnt to sail in Mirrors, Cadets and a Heron back in the early seventies. Moved on to racing , mainly as crew in National Twelves and Merlins. Due to working shifts I found it almost impossible to get a regular crew for my boat and so bought a Solo. This I raced for four seasons before selling it and going windsurfing. During this lay off I have been sailing borrowed L***rs. Sorry about the bad language!

I am now getting too creaky in the joints/back for windsurfing, after all its only worth doing when it is windy, and now feel the need to come back to dinghies so that a I can have a leisurely sail or even race when I have the time and the mood takes me. It needs to be a single hander and reasonably handy on land. I would sail mainly inland but do not discount the occasional trip on the sea. I am a competent woodworker and a restoration project is possibility.

So far I have dismissed,
Finns, I've tried one and found it a nice boat to sail but too heavy out of the water for single handed launch and recovery.
Contenders are just too much boat for a leisurely sail.

What I really need is you help and advice as to whether any of the following are likely to suit me and any other suggestions of classes you may have.

Phantom, Ok, Toy or even a lowrider Moth.

(I know I'm a bit big for a Moth but I remember having loads of fun in one back in my youth - probably three stone lighter then though!)

Failing anything else I can see a wooden Solo being on the cards.

Regards, Phil
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
neil
Site Admin

Re: Newbie needs help to choose a single hander.

Post by neil »

The issue with the Finn on land is that most people have a launching trolley that is too long, or they don't use a bow wheel on the trolley.

the last one I had was a slightly shorter trolley, the balance was excellent and I didn't need a bow wheel.

Out of your list I'd say the OK - plenty around, solid and cheapish. ToYs are fun but there's not many around, Phantoms are not in the Finn sailors vocabulary.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Phil,

what is your budget and where are you? I know of a Megabyte going on the south coast for around £2k if you are looking for something modern. Big boy's boat but weighs the same as a laser.

If you are looking for something older/cheaper then I think you already have the usual suspects apart from Minisails and Lightning 368s - you are probably at the top end of the size range for those. Rupert should be able to advise.
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

How about a Unit?

I'm seriously thinking of giving mine up,since I already have a merlin and a N18 to care for. I'm also running out of room.

It's a seriously quick planker without too many vices I can find and most importantly she'll be cheap. there is thread around here detailing the restoration here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3372
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

Hi,

I am currently landlocked near Canterbury in Kent, budget not too much of a problem but I like wooden boats and was brought up with classic designs.

What is a unit? The pictures on the link don't work for me but talk of contender sails make me think it might not be a leisurely sail!

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The low rider moth is NOT a leisurely sail. The megabyte is a lovely boat but plastic - I have one. A wooden phantom is also a lovely boat, unfortunately I have just rehomed mine. If you're interested in a ToY I have no.76 which I would be willing to part with as I just have too many parts. In reasonable working order apart from the seat which needs to be put back together. pm me for details.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The ToY isn't a boat you can laze around in, though, really!

The Lightning would suit size wise, but is GRP, so lacks the woodwork potential! There are wooden Minisails out there, but very few. You are welcome to come to Whitefriars (bit of a trip from Kent, but if you are passing...) and sail both boats if you like. Have to admit, though, I'm with Neil on this one. 6'2" and 14 stone screams out for an OK!
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

If you're thinking about vintage boats which aren't necessarily about in numbers then a Harrier might fit the bill. If on the other hand you want a currntly active class then you might also want to ask on the YAchts and Yachting Forum.
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

Hi all,

Thanks for your thoughts so far, keep them coming. Perhaps the word 'leisurely' should have been fun, there has to be an element of challenge in it.

I think I know where I'm going end up but there are a couple of options I need to explore.

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

phil58490 wrote:Hi all,

Thanks for your thoughts so far, keep them coming. Perhaps the word 'leisurely' should have been fun, there has to be an element of challenge in it.

I think I know where I'm going end up but there are a couple of options I need to explore.
Hi Phil,

Have you seen there is a "Mark" here on ebay currently at a very manageable price if you enjoy experimentation and curiosity.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mark-Classic- ... 27ca9af18f

Somewhat lighter than a Finn, and a good deal more manageable than a contender or a phantom. Looks similar to an OK/Solo, but I would think has a bit more curiosity appeal.

...I don't know how these perform. Perhaps someone has an opinion. It does look interesting enough for the classic circuit to enjoy its position in dinghy history, especially as an experiment in the development of a Finn fleet, and theres plenty of wood to interest you if you are inclined to admiration of grain and finish.

On another tack, if I was in the market you describe I have to admit I wouldnt wait for the Clouds to clear, I would have a look at the Unit offered.

Actually I would bite his hand off!

The "Unit 7" has fantastic provenance and the understated style of a thoroughbred. It is pure wood, from what I understand good mannered if sailed within your limitations and a perfect size to easily manage your 6'2" and 14stone.

PM Obscured for the (Stunning) pictures. It has been recently given all the TLC it needs, and needs a home that will cherish it. Regretably I am overboated to the point that I have been tagged when I am on ebay! :twisted:
Michael Brigg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Or find a nice IC - something I have long aspired to have the time and the diet to master :)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Only saw this after the last post.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4411

Pure serendipity or just plain spooky? :shock:
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Serendipity - you know you want to :wink:
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

Oh dear, this could easily end up like my motorcycle collection, swmbo has banned me from buying any more bikes, 'if you can't get it in the garage you can't have it', doh! She counts them in and counts them out and even checks the sheds to make sure I've not sneaked in another one! "Oh that old bike, no dear it has been there for ages", sadly does not work any more.

Checks over shoulder, all clear, so what do we think, how about a Mark for general sailing, a ToY or Minisail to learn to use a sliding seat and then a Unit and a Canoe, good job we've got a large garden.

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold