Finn questions

General chat about boats
Nessa

Finn questions

Post by Nessa »

http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.co.uk ... aid=266625

Not for me but for a finn sized friend at Hunts who is choosing between this a solo or a phantom. Any comments or advice?

Thanks!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Jono

Re: Finn questions

Post by Jono »

I sail an older wooden Phantom which I think is great for what it is.

The trouble with Phantoms is that if you've got a woody, you arent competitive at opens full stop. You also arent competitive at club level if you cant persuade the sailing committee to adopt an older handicap more suited to the wooden boats.

On the positive side, i think they sail well and you can get an extremely nice relatively new one for not much money (close to a £1000).

In summary, with the phantom it depends what you want to do with it and what money you have to spend on it. If you want to be competitive in the class or at a good racing standard club then you need plastic really which puts the price up.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

The Finn on Apollo duck belongs to simon, who I just sold mine to...

not sure this really helps you much, but reckon it sounded a nice boat.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I am of unashamedly biased and would of course advise to go for the Finn. A Pearson like a classic Phantom will never be competitive in a modern fleet, but will give a good account for itself in the classic fleet which is one of the advantages we have with the Finns in that we sail alongside our modern counterparts and compete for our own classic awards at open meetings, even rubbing shoulders with the Olympians at our Nationals this year at Falmouth.

I would not knock the Solo or the Phantom both of which are excellent craft, but you will find that you will get a lot of boat for your money with the Finn, even if it does let you know how much boat you have when manoeuvring it on dry land.

I would suggest you try before you buy, Simon is not far away from you and I am sure will be happy to let you try the Pearson.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

well, he bought it. Is it cvrda eligible? If so another home boat for next year's open.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

The Pearson is definitely CVRDAble. It looks like Big Al's boat, only cleaner
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
simonmossuk

Post by simonmossuk »

I certainly hope he'll be happy with the boat, lots of work went into that one...., Although she seems to go very well in 30 knots of Breeze.
Spent a fair amount of today sorting the new (to me) one out for sailing on Sunday, and if anyone hears of a sorted all wood finn coming on the market I may be convincing a friend of mine to give the Finn a go!
starting to get into this classic Finn lark now, and big thumbs up to Rodney at suntouched for sorting out some secondhand Finn toys.

Simon

K465
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Rob was out in it today - it looked great. I think he was really pleased with it albeit a tad exhausted!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Brookesy wrote:I am of unashamedly biased and would of course advise to go for the Finn. A Pearson like a classic Phantom will never be competitive in a modern fleet, but will give a good account for itself in the classic fleet which is one of the advantages we have with the Finns in that we sail alongside our modern counterparts and compete for our own classic awards at open meetings, even rubbing shoulders with the Olympians at our Nationals this year at Falmouth.

I would not knock the Solo or the Phantom both of which are excellent craft, but you will find that you will get a lot of boat for your money with the Finn, even if it does let you know how much boat you have when manoeuvring it on dry land.

I would suggest you try before you buy, Simon is not far away from you and I am sure will be happy to let you try the Pearson.
An Epitaph:- (with apologies to Arther Dunne,..or should that be Wood?)

"Here lie the remains of a boat of glass,
It was said that it was out of class.
Except it was not made of glass, but wood;
But wood would not go as fast, but glass would."
Michael Brigg
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

I was intrigued to read that Ben Ainslie had resurrected his old Finn from The National Maritime Museum it had been donated to, as he could not find a newer one as fast!
So maybe its not all about throwing cash at things to ensure success. A certain Dane and a Dutchman may also have helped things along too, but it all made it more intriguing to follow, from the comfort of my armchair! :mrgreen:
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I attended a dinner a couple of weeks ago in honour of Ben Ainslie (Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich) and he mentioned that he had sailed in Rita. He and his coach has worked extensively on a new Finn but he was not 100% happy with it before the Olympics. His thinking was that if he was not performing as well as he thought he should in a new Finn he may blame the Finn but if he was sailing Rita he was confident the boat was performing. He also mentioned that a vast amount of time and money had gone into the new Finn.
Harrier 25
505 7163
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Although lightweight construction is thought to be a big bonus in racing dinghies the weight of the Finn allows it to be built to last, which is why an old boat like the Pearson can still be well worth sorting out and putting a decent rig on. It's also why, although the modern Finns are ligher than the Classics, that they still have a very long competitive life. If Hunts allow Rob to sail on 1171 which is what Roadford use for Classic Finns he should find he's fairly competitive. At SHSC my handicap reverst to the standard unless I raise the point, but when I'm winning the handicap event sailing off 1060 it sems churlish to comment.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

We use 1071 at Roadford, as do a few other clubs, if we let him use 1171 he will be going far too fast.......
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
The Shed's a Taylor. My Pearson was a mark 3a one of the last Pearson's made and came in Finn Finder colours red, white and gold as they were sponsored by Dunhill Fags. The boat 340 even had the Dunhill logo on it way before sponsorship and advertising was alloud.
Cheers Al