Newbie needs help to choose a single hander.

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Rupert

Re: Newbie needs help to choose a single hander.

Post by Rupert »

neil wrote:Serendipity - you know you want to :wink:
I started drooling as soon as I saw the ad, Neil, but the reality of needing a long enough storage area under cover would be having to knock the house extension down and rebuild with a twin garage under, rather than a single...

Personally, I am amazed by the price - people are asking more for little clinker built rowing boats. But then, I guess the cost of ownership is lower for them, and more people are buying.

On topic, not an ideal first singlehander!
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

phil58490 wrote:, 'if you can't get it in the garage you can't have it', doh! She counts them in and counts them out and even checks the sheds to make sure I've not sneaked in another one! "Oh that old bike, no dear it has been there for ages", sadly does not work any more.
There's a couple of solutions here.

1. Build more sheds -we are up to 4 sheds, workshop, potting shed and greenhouse. Note the importance of the last two.
2. Select boats of the same class. That way it's easier to get a 3rd or 4th Finn or IC as they look similar
Rupert wrote:
Personally, I am amazed by the price - people are asking more for little clinker built rowing boats. But then, I guess the cost of ownership is lower for them, and more people are buying.
I gave a lot of thought to the price. I've sold a Tideway for similar, but the demographic is different.

I don't want to give her away and I don't want to be silly about the price. I guess the market will decide on her real value. I have to say that the ApolloDuck advert is getting a lot of views and I'm impressed how quickly Google picked up the advert.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

1. Build more sheds -we are up to 4 sheds, garage/workshop, and greenhouse. Note the importance of the last two.

More sheds? Perhaps not, we have got three already, and a greenhouse and a polytunnel.

2. Select boats of the same class. That way it's easier to get a 3rd or 4th Finn or IC as they look similar

I'd never get away with having a number of boats the same, swmbo already can give the colour, age, make and often the specific model of my bikes, she is far too astute to get caught by that one!

So if I can't go up that only leaves the possibility of an underground boatshed, now there is an idea I know a man with a mini digger! Sadly I've just remembered that the garden forms part of an anglo saxon burial site so that is a non starter. The thought of strangely dressed people digging holes with trowels is not one I like but the dog would enjoy all the bones!
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

phil58490 wrote:Oh dear, this could easily end up like my motorcycle collection, swmbo has banned me from buying any more bikes, 'if you can't get it in the garage you can't have it', doh! She counts them in and counts them out and even checks the sheds to make sure I've not sneaked in another one! "Oh that old bike, no dear it has been there for ages", sadly does not work any more.

Checks over shoulder, all clear, so what do we think, how about a Mark for general sailing, a ToY or Minisail to learn to use a sliding seat and then a Unit and a Canoe, good job we've got a large garden.
Welcome to the CVRDA Phil,

The next step (when you are ready) is to post a picture of your Garage. (With the Unit, the Mark and the IC in it.) This is part of the mutual therapy arrangement. It wont make you any better, but definately helps the rest of us with SWMBO's to "Keep calm and Carry On!"

After you have done this, come to a national rally and you can attend a meeting...

The AGM starts with a circle in which we all declare that we have too many old boats and then drink a lot of beer. :?
Michael Brigg
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

All the old boats advertised seem to be without trailers so I went out looking to buy a trailer but came home with a lovely wooden Solo and a combi-trailer, 1984 build it was advertised as but I knew that it was later than that before I went to look.

Oops its not CVDRA qualifying by seven years!

Still if something really interesting come up I can a least move it now!
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Well done!
Rupert