???????????????

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Mark Jones

???????????????

Post by Mark Jones »

Any Ideas?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sailing-dingh ... 1c2b32bbf5

Am watching may be a better boat for sprog.

Cheers
Mark
Ed
Site Admin

Re: ???????????????

Post by Ed »

I know it for sure.....

name escapes me....unless.....'Express Dinghy'.

I am sure we have discussed these in the past.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones »

Ed did wonder, but can not find my id book, do not remember the express having an ali bar with kite shute in front but could well be wrong!

Cheers
Mark
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

But did have that wood on the prow, yes the rest is a bit confusing :arrow:
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Yes, an Express.
Rupert
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

Quite a bit of info on the web, try googling express dinghy class, even a bit on utube of one being sailed!
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I had a sail in one last year. It behaved ok but the side tanks make it very cramped. Try it first if you have big feet.
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Briefly imported in France by an englishman who had started a buisness called express centre, his buisness focused o semi finished DIY boats, he had acquired an X4 (french laser clone) mold from the french sailing federation and supplied the working space and the raw materials .even raced the X4 event in laRochelle week (whent kthe X4 was launched in the late 70's early 80's).

Some express dinghies 2 in dinghies were also sold in frnce but just a handful (it had to contend with the ubiquitous 420) .

The guy even tried to manfacture "Expression " a 5,50 "Micro cupper for the still popular Micro class...but heunwittingly chose a design by Daniel Charles fro Belgium , who poed as a Yachtig historian ...but was a (very) poor boat designe..morrison's "dogs of war" micrcupper or the micros by Jacques Fauroux were too much for the (short lived) Expression...
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Funny thing...the E bay seller seems Not to want to sell the boat and points very much on the defects (seems he is obsessed by someboty taking him to court for sailing un un - seaxorthy boat)...The ad is: ..."I have told you loud and clear that this boat is just a pile of junk...so don't come complaining"

The other funny thing is the C boardcase...was it GRP or Plywood glued with glass strips...even for an angler the boat isn't very promising the adaptation of a transom engine or a rowing seat + rowlocks is not so easy... only favourable point:

The spinaker chute might be recycle d in a fish tank or anchor storage .
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

LASERTOURIST wrote:The other funny thing is the C boardcase...was it GRP or Plywood glued with glass strips
The photo of the red one shows that the cb case is wooden.

A few years ago I found (by Googling) a post on some other forum (can't remember which) by the designers son giving more background about the class. In many ways I think they look quite modern. For instance the way the deck and hull moulding join at the transom and the way the sides are slightly concave, presumably to add stiffness and aid releasing from the mould. Not bad for a 1970ish boat designed for home building.
Best wishes

SB
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Wooden CB case is a pain inb the nech on old 505's , Finns, 490's, OK's...etc, ebven the Gouteron 445 had a Pywood CB case and as the boat is double hulled it is terminal when rotten, pity for a rather modern design.

The exoress molding technique is not very differrent from Tjhe Laser 3000.4000...etc and it was not a bad try for the late 70's...except that probably Foam cored airex sandwich was not thrown in the deal..
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

LASERTOURIST wrote:...even for an angler the boat isn't very promising the adaptation of a transom engine or a rowing seat + rowlocks is not so easy... only favourable point:

The spinaker chute might be recycle d in a fish tank or anchor storage .
It is always (to my untrained eye) quite incredible what some anglers will put an outboard on. 10HP on 5mm ply transom is not uncommon. They will then go out into the middle of the solent, 5 up in an Enterbox or similar, in a force5 in the middle of the night in mid winter!!!

I really don't know why they do it... You could say it's proof of what a hardy lot they are, though their wives (like ours I suspect) may have a different opinion. Like
"lonely, stupid, or mad..!" :lol:

I have heard tell that angling is one of the more dangerous "sports" we have in GB, but it's usually through mishap. (a few cans after midnight and falling in the weir sort of stuff.)
Michael Brigg
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

Agreed and here is a nice Enterprize, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sailing-dingh ... 1c2b32bbf5 not sure about the skid lid(is that a crash helmut?)however the vendor seems to be inundated with mailers, saying its actually an Exprez-pardon me -eX :P press
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

The Sea Scout group I used to belong to had an Express (one of several oddities people donated or loaned to us which included an Alpha MkI and a Beaufort). The main problem we had with it was that the centreboard case seemed too low, and water constantly slopped into the boat through it. Not sure whether our boat was too heavy or whether the builder had installed the CB case incorrectly... Otherwise it seemed to sail OK. The hull shape looked quite modern to me, a little 14-ish even. Performance was adequate for Sea Scouts but not terribly impressive.
Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com