Kestrel

General chat about boats
trebor

Kestrel

Post by trebor »

Hi all, their is a Kestrel for sale on ebay that I am interested in, are their things to look out for? what do they sail like? are they suitable for a novice crew?
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Max McCarthy

Re: Kestrel

Post by Max McCarthy »

Hi Rob,

Is it this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kestrel-Saili ... 3a7a8aacbc

I don't no much about kestrels, but I am sure someone will come along who knows much more then me. Nessa has a kestrel, but damaged it at the bosham classic boat revival
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Max, thats the one, right price no need to worry about damaging it too much, I just hope it will fit on my Fireball specific trailer, assuming I get it, and it is suitable. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

trebor wrote:Hi Max, thats the one, right price no need to worry about damaging it too much, I just hope it will fit on my Fireball specific trailer, assuming I get it, and it is suitable. Rob.
The thing to watch for is how the boat is supported. A trailer specifically for a Fireball might put the strain on parts of a Kestrel's hull which won't take a point load. I've always used properly moulded cradles on the launching trolleys of my GRP boats.
Best wishes

SB
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

If you don't get this one there is one at my club which the owner wants to move on - no reasonable offer refused.... It does have a road trailer but no cover.

Graham
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Rob, these boats are great for novices - there are some centres and clubs that use them as training boats. I am currently teaching her off the telly in mine and she almost confesses to enjoying it.

These older boats are usually very soundly built, and the seller says he has addressed the issue of the side tanks possibly leaking. The one advertised (I was tempted by it myself just to get the centreboard) is older than mine - I can tell that by the traveller - but also has some newer parts, such as the rudder, centreboard, sails, cover etc. All in all I think the buy it now proice looks very fair.

There is an owner's page on facebook which is good for advice, plus a recently updated website which is also good. Mine will be at the Nationals at Hunts next year and Yellow Peril belonging to Faye and Martin Wark will also be coming. There is a Winter Champs at Stewartby, just near Bedford, at the end of this month - I went to last year's just to look at boats but am going to this year's to take part.

The advice about the trolley/trailer is very true - can you put the boat on its trolley on top of the trailer, like an ill fitting combi, or does your trailer have hull supports so the trolley travels on top of the boat?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi all, I need to hold fire at the moment, I never thought about the mast not being telescopic like Aquabat, I do not think I can get mast in storage area where I have to keep dinghy, the mast will probably be longer than space, I will check at the weekend.
Thanks for offer Graham, where about is your club, just in case.
The fireball trailer is almost flat along its length, the Aquabat fits almost completely inside, but I would not leave it on Trailer whilst stored.
Thanks for advice Nessa, I will probably get a Kestrel, if not this one.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I keep my masts on the garage roof when they are not in use. Just a thought.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Nessa, does the aluminium not go grey?, I have polished the Aquabat mast and boom, I keep it in the verandah, probably a bit ott, rudder and centre board in spare bedroom sail under stairs, probably a bit ott as well, how long is the Kestrel mast? Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia