The worst classic dinghy.

General chat about boats
trebor

The worst classic dinghy.

Post by trebor »

after reading Davids ultimate classic dinghy, what is the worst dinghy? I was told to keep away from the Skipper 12 & 14.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
neil
Site Admin

Re: The worst classic dinghy.

Post by neil »

again, this is subjective - it depends what you want from your boat.

Skippers may not be everyone's dream boat, but they seem to sell. If they get people sailing they can't be bad.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
roger

Post by roger »

for me its not the worst, I cant think of a boat I would say was the worst but for me the most uncomfortable boat to sail is the laser but its success shows that not everyne thinks the same.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

there was a Skipper at Bosham - we know this because he sailed past us as we were upended in the channel - and he was having a great time, as well as surviving. It's always horses for courses isn't it? The main thing is getting people afloat. I can think of some truly awful modern abominations....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
trebor

Post by trebor »

I did not like the Laser or the pico, I found them both uncomfortable, I did like the Omega and the GP14, but I have been told their are better boats than the Omega, the Skipper is so I am told impossible to capsize, if so is this due to being under powered?
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

My _personal_ worst would be the Gull. Which of course will offend many - but the reason is that I learned to sail in a Mk1 which had been sheathed in GRP to get a few more seasons out of her. Consequently heavy, dull and with ridiculous weather helm at any more than a degree or two of heel.

At the time we had just built our own Mirror (43069, still sailed in the family) and the comparison in feel and responsiveness was just astonishing - plus we had built one and were made to sail in the other, and I was 12....
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It is very personal, isn't it? I've sailed a Skipper, and "uninspired" is the word I'd use. And I have seen one capsized. It then sank, when the deck mould parted company from the rest of the hull round the shrouds...

The Laser Bahiaiaiaiaiaiaia, on the other hand, I sailed at Weymouth a couple of weekends ago, and it was truly dreadful. Like trying to sail a bouncy castle, and an unbalanced one, at that.

My least favourite classic? The GP14. Could be influenced by sailing the Aberystwyth Uni boats for many years.
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Rupert wrote: The Laser Bahiaiaiaiaiaiaia, on the other hand, I sailed at Weymouth a couple of weekends ago, and it was truly dreadful. Like trying to sail a bouncy castle, and an unbalanced one, at that.
Three years ago or so I sailed the prototype, Bhiaiaiaia which while not exactly having thoroughbred manners, did have 30% more sail area than the production one and was quite fun! I both helmed and crewed for about an hour and that included capsize recovery... the very useful hand-holds built in to the hull moulding were quite brilliant. Unless you left your hand in them as the boat flipped upright (which could have been very nasty - are they still there?)

Cheer up Rupert in about 30 years time they will be eligible to sail in cvrda Old fleet. And quite probably, also as a lost class....
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I would rather have a bahiaiaiaia than a vision...

I like the GP. We have had two as club boats until very recently, and they have been great for teaching in.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

And a GP could have won our Nationals at Bough Beech this year if the boat had sailed and been sailed as well as it had been on the Monday. They were just getting it together on the Saturday after a restoration. In many ways a good all round CVRDA boat but we see very few of them. Also very few Enterprises given the thousands which were built.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Rotomoulded boats willnever qualifie for CVRDA because they did not exist before 1965 cut off design date.
Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Maybe one day the cvrmda will spring to life, saving old Roto Moulded boats from becoming toilets and traffic cones? Give it 30 years...
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Could be the best thing for them. However they will never last that long as UV hopefully will get them first. Classic boat I hate the most if there are any still around the Wildcat dinghy. Rudder to close to centreboard a nightmare to sail in a blow. Only sailed one once and would never wish to repeat the experience
Cheers Al
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Never taken to the GP14. somehow 'Jeep' seems to sum them up to me. I know lots like them, but I cannot see the attraction.

having to PRO their championships one year settled it for me. never met such a snotty bunch either before or since. The Hornet crew were much much nicer.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Rupert wrote:Maybe one day the cvrmda will spring to life, saving old Roto Moulded boats from becoming toilets and traffic cones? Give it 30 years...
Perhaps if that was the CVR MDMA we would all be ecstatic about them! :) :) :)
Michael Brigg