Scorpion 1925
International moth magnum 8

Ford Capri
Ed
Site Admin

Re: international moth magnum 8 k3941

Post by Ed »

Great job...

looks fantastic, please do tell us more about the work that you did.

However, please do bear in mind that this number of images is going to hammer our bandwidth something rotten!

Would be really good if you have a collection of images, to just put them on a photo-hosting site and just put a link to them on the forum.

Would appreciate that.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Another one ,snap with the colour lol there's life.in the fat boats yet ,looking good I hope to finish mine this weekend
Stuart :lol:
Decending into insanity or is it an addiction

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Looks great - some good work going.

I took out the mystery moth today and it was great fun. A fair few teething issues - like totally the wrong ruder/tiller combo - but it was a great sail.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Nessa wrote:Looks great - some good work going.

I took out the mystery moth today and it was great fun. A fair few teething issues - like totally the wrong ruder/tiller combo - but it was a great sail.

I take it your none the wiser on that moth then how many have you got Nessa
Cheers Stuart
Decending into insanity or is it an addiction

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

I saved the pics of the Mystery Moth from the bay ad, and the more I look at it the more it looks like a Skol 2 with a custom layout...........

Is it GRP or ply?

Paul
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I haven't done any excavations, but I think it is ply under all the layers of paint.....which are under a layer of West... It is a sweet little boat.

I have the magnum 5 purple nasty which is going into winter storage any day now, plus the Yellow Peril, which is already tucked up warm and dry.

I am half (only half) tempted to bring the mystery moth to Baltic wharf, though it doesn't strike me as a moth friendly venue.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

I had a look at the pics of the mystery Moth earlier Nessa....only just seen them, and she looks like a Moth I was offered a year or two ago, based somewhere in the lake district I think, possibly the same boat. I may still have pics on the other pc (which is stored away due to decorating atm) so I'll check eventually. She looks way too narrow at the transom to be a Skol to me Paul, and a bit flat bottomed as well.....but I'm comparing her to the mk 1 and mk 3.....I'm not so familiar with mk 2, but have pics of one I nearly bought a few years ago on the other pc, so I'll check that too.
I hope you do take her to Baltic Warf Nessa, we're still planning to pop in on our way south.
Sami.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

the seller said it came from Keilder Water. Baltic Wharf is on dodgy ground due to our dog sitters going abroad. I will see what we can do.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Kielder sounds familiar.....pretty sure it's the same boat. I chatted to the owner of the time by email, and I remember thinking or being told(?) "Womble".............not sure where that came from, and it may just be me cogitating at the time. If it is the same boat then you got a bargain from what I remember of the asking price back then.
I've heard that dogs will happily pull on all the bits of string such as found in the bottom of a Moth, thus potentially having excellent crewing skills with minimal weight.... so I think that solves the dog sitting issue!..........see you at BW....think of it as a training weekend :twisted:
Sami.
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

mystery-Skol2.jpg
Here is the Mystery Moth from the ebay ad alongside a Skol 2.

The Womble had a chine from the transom to just ahead of the daggerboard slot, so I don't think the MM is one although it's fairly similar.

The Mistral was the other popular stitch-and-tape design at the time, but that has more rocker and a wider arc-shaped transom.

Then there was a cold-moulded design called a Stroller, of which a few were built by McCutcheon around that time, but I don't remember the transom being flat in the middle like on the MM.

Paul
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

If it is of any help at all, here is a picture of (I know it is the wrong angle, but it is all I can find) my mk1 skol moth, to compare the lines of the mystery moth:

AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

to my mind the distinctive feater of the MM is the narrow, deep cockpit. Barely over a foot across but equally as deep. Plus the fabric of the wings is battened onto the deck the rolled out to be attached to the tubes. Ver neat.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Yes, the Mistral was a very rounded on the transom, very different.....I've looked at my pics from the 70s........very unstable downwind........can't believe I never got wet in mine!
Sami.
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Coming back to this; cockpit layouts varied hugely, totally down to the builder's preference. By 1976 for boats with wings the 'semi-self-drainer' was the commonest, with a footwell and sunken deck to sit on, as per the red Sprite that was seen some time ago on the bay.

The long deep narrow cockpit of MM almost makes me think it might not have had wings originally; lacing the inner edge of the tramps to a batten was, IIRC, something Trott's boats did.

Mistral designs are still being built in the USA for Classic Moth racing, and some people have modified it by flattening the transom, but it always distorts the sheerline unless they change the panel shapes first.

And here's a pic of a Womble showing the chine from the transom to mid-length; I'm sure MM isn't one.

Paul
Attachments
m-womble.jpg
(54.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet