Boat covers

General chat about boats
alan williams

Boat covers

Post by alan williams »

Hi Looking for a new cover for the Finn, those from the established sailmakers seem very expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent boom up cover maker with reasonable prices.
Cheers Al
JimC

Re: Boat covers

Post by JimC »

Just had one made for my Moth which looks good and was cheap. Will pm an email address.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'm fond of the Sail Register breathable covers, but not so much of their PVC ones, which don't last as well. Saskia's cover must be well over 10 years old now, and still waterproof, if in need of a good scrub.
Rupert
FDGorilla

Post by FDGorilla »

Al

Speak to Phil Bull at Rain and Sun - http://www.rainandsun.co.uk/index.htm

He's got a Devotti at Warsash. His wing mast covers are superb. In fact he had an FD for a while - not sure if you overlapped with him?

James
Last edited by FDGorilla on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may not be very clever but I can lift heavy things

Finn GBR75
JB9

Post by JB9 »

This company is very good but have a limited range, could be worth an email to see if they could help. Wayfarer cover at £85 seems very reasonable.

http://www.kwik2me.com/product.php?id=49
Harrier 25
505 7163
Pat

Post by Pat »

Having looked around last year, Rain and Sun are the ones I'll use for the fat Merlin when it's ready - unless I DIY.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

I must have been unfortunate with the sail Register cover I bought for my first Streaker,as the plastic part came away from the bottom surface,in quite short time.
Also how ever carefully I tied the cords around the mast,water still managed to get in the boat.
This resulting in some ice forming and due to the contraction and subsequently expansion of the ply, left a small crack in that part of the hull.
Also I tried covering the recently aquired Minisail Sprite with an old Sail Register cover from my last Streaker, which otherwise is in good condition and came with the boat.
Whilst it seemed to cover most of the vunreable parts of the craft, I found the cockpit had water in it and only one self bailer on the port side, so turned it upside down, wrapped in a tarp, placed on top of my Mirror which has nothing else covering the internals. some ominous cracking noises when I stood in the old Mirror, where detected a while back .

To be fair now I come to think of it the boom over cover that came with the Firefly, (with the mast laying round the side of the house, )has kept the inside of the boat dry as a bone, and is Sail Register too, but with another plastic tarp over that.

As I said I was probably just unlucky with the first Streaker one?
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I had a kwik to me cover for the Marauder - I was really pleased to find someone who had a pattern for one - but I wished I hadn't bothered. It leaked from day one, plus there were workmanship issues. I couldn't recommend them.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

My original PVC sail register cover delaminated, too. However, they made some changes with UV protection (and turned it over, so the woven side is outside) and the one for the Lightning is lasting much better. However, I'd only buy a polycotton one from them again.

I have a Kwik whatever Topper cover, with no trouble barring a broken clip, but then it is pretty simple.
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Rain and Sun are probably the best Finn covers around. Had a couple from them, and definitely one of the best for breathable covers.

If you want something that'll last and is breathable I'd go for the Rain and Sun. If you want cheap then cut down a Trago tarp ;)
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
chris

Post by chris »

Some water down the mast and through the cover is probably ineveitable. This can help: Cut a length off an old towel about 4" wide and as long as the towel. When you put the boat away tie one end of the towel round the bottom of the mast and put the other end into a bucket which is in the bottom of the boat. As long as the bucket is lower it will catch the water and keep the deck dry.
Pat

Post by Pat »

When we've got the boats stored at home with a boom up cover, we remove the mast and replace it with a short length (a bit of old laser boom!) that is just enough to protrude above the cover collar and put a long bolt into it for a gooseneck, Fit the cover and then an upturned bucket goes onto the pole which keeps the rainwater outside the collar.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Chris Gould at Creation Covers are top class. Got my covers from him and he's fast becoming the standard for merlins and other classes.

Does a real good job and can also do custom designs, I had extra sleeves to try and stop water running down the shrouds into the boat no problem and when I was looking last year his prices were better than anyone else's even when there was a sale on.

http://creationcovers.co.uk/

Luke
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Ordered a overboom cover in a new breathable material from Rain & Sun. The main reason being that Paul Bull has a Pata like mine and has taken the measurements for one of his Finn patterns from it. He also has suggested that the cover skirts be deeper and that the transom be fully covered, which is what I wanted anyway (had a Goldfinch cover made like that), this was done at no extra cost. Paid a small extra fee to have the cover marked with the boat name and number. All together £183.04 including VAT. and Postage
Great result. Thanks for all the advice I was given.
Al
Taylor Finn 424 Pata Finn 670